Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times

Advertisements

The rich are taxed through the roof already. IMO to the point they are on the sidelines not doing as much until Obama is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
There are many professing Christians on this forum who are also self-described liberals. Jesus was a-political but liberals try hard to make him a political figure. Conservative Christians have banded together as a voting bloc (just as other special interest groups have done) to vote for a conservative agenda. The conservative Christian political movement began in response to Roe v Wade and has become an important voting bloc over the last 30 years.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:30 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Am I the only non-(politically) conservative Christian out there?

The title is a little hyperbolic, I mean, my close friends back home (in Michigan) are all left-leaning Christians. However, it seems like any sort of Christian organization leans FAR to the right, any organization, commentary or event targeting Christians has a right-wing slant, many churches promote the right-wing agenda and the vast majority of Christians I meet here (Minnesota) are far-right conservative Republicans. Additionally, it seems like most Democrats, moderates and / or liberals are atheists or agnostics.

I honestly feel like I'm the only one who feels this way. I read my Bible, and I don't see where it supports the Tea Party agenda. However, apparently most Christians think it does?! I just don't get why American Christianity seems to be married to the right-wing agenda? In my opinion, Republican economic policy, foreign policy and social agenda (other than abortion) stands in opposition to Biblical values. Are abortion and gay marriage really the ONLY issues American Christians care about?!

My views:
I am a Christian (non-denominational)
I believe Jesus is the only way to God
I believe the Bible is the word of God
I would describe myself as politically moderate
I am for a progressive tax system (tax the rich more)
I'm against "free trade" -- I support protectionist policies
I support single-payer, universal healthcare
I'm AGAINST the Iraq and Afghanistan wars (bring our troops home now!!!)
I oppose war in most cases -- I believe in diplomacy over military action
I'm against the death penalty
I'm against abortion in all cases
I'm personally against gay marriage, but I don't think the government should ban it
I support amnesty for undocumented immigrants and a guest worker program
I don't think Sarah Palin is the next George Washington
I don't listen to Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage or other such demagogues
I'm not a Tea Party member
I know Barack Obama is not a Muslim (or born in Kenya)

Am I really the only Christian who feels this way?
You're definitely the coolest christian lol. I would consider moving to the NW.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
There are many professing Christians on this forum who are also self-described liberals. Jesus was a-political but liberals try hard to make him a political figure. Conservative Christians have banded together as a voting bloc (just as other special interest groups have done) to vote for a conservative agenda. The conservative Christian political movement began in response to Roe v Wade and has become an important voting bloc over the last 30 years.
I'm not necessarily arguing with you, but want to add to this post.

A lot of liberals do make Jesus political, but so do plenty of Christian conservatives; to the point where many--like James Dobson--have done everything short of declaring that Jesus was a George Bush-style Republican.

The religious right, in putting politics before the gospel, are sell outs. They have abdicated their role in this world for worldly power and influence. They have hoped to get the benefits of this world while neglecting to point people to a better world beyond. This has also created a climate in much of the American church that basically says you have to go along with the GOP platform in order be a good Christian. And that is a travesty that makes them no better than Christian liberals who turn Jesus solely into a pet for their social issues.

Why can't I be pro-life and support universal health care? Why can't I agree with having a national defense, but be against torture? Why can't I agree with personal responsibility and support Medicare and Social Security? I am a bible reading, "fairy tale" believing Christian. I also consider myself a liberal. But that does not mean that I think Jesus was a liberal. Like you, I think he was a-political. That, I think, is the proper attitude for Christians--left and right--to have about politics.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:14 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I'm not necessarily arguing with you, but want to add to this post.

A lot of liberals do make Jesus political, but so do plenty of Christian conservatives; to the point where many--like James Dobson--have done everything short of declaring that Jesus was a George Bush-style Republican.

The religious right, in putting politics before the gospel, are sell outs. They have abdicated their role in this world for worldly power and influence. They have hoped to get the benefits of this world while neglecting to point people to a better world beyond. This has also created a climate in much of the American church that basically says you have to go along with the GOP platform in order be a good Christian. And that is a travesty that makes them no better than Christian liberals who turn Jesus solely into a pet for their social issues.

Why can't I be pro-life and support universal health care? Why can't I agree with having a national defense, but be against torture? Why can't I agree with personal responsibility and support Medicare and Social Security? I am a bible reading, "fairy tale" believing Christian. I also consider myself a liberal. But that does not mean that I think Jesus was a liberal. Like you, I think he was a-political. That, I think, is the proper attitude for Christians--left and right--to have about politics.

Just had to get that off my chest.
Well said and very thoughtful. As I said, it was Roe v Wade that galvanized conservative Christians into a voting bloc because they were adamantly opposed to that decision. Thirty years ago the abortion issue was the most divisive political/social issue of the day. Some even compared it to the slavery issue of the 19th century. (Today it is gay marriage.) If memory serves me correctly, it was Jerry Falwell who organized conservative Christians into a voting bloc with his Moral Majority organization. Reagan was pro-life and was aligned with Moral Majority. And ever since then conservative Christians have remained a solid Republican voting bloc since that party adopted its anti-abortion stance into its platform. So, yes, Republican candidates find it necessary to play to that part of their voting base. Democrat candidates usually profess some kind of church affiliation as they, too, must pay court to the religious nature of the voting public, even though they may be a-religious in their personal lives. It's just good politics to profess to have some kind of religious faith.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,703 times
Most Northeastern Protestants and many Catholics are socially liberal.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 08-30-2011 at 05:28 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 06:32 PM

910 posts, read 1,677,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
I agree with the OP on most all points minus the healthcare system and amnesty. Taxes I'm undecided on, though I support less of them most all of the time.
I should have said that I've been a Christian most of my life.

I personally support Ron Paul, a man who is a Christian but doesn't exploit it for political gain at every chance he gets. That is one thing that frustrates me about Bachmann and Perry, they pander to Christians at all possible times. Now that not an issue limited to just them, but either way it bugs me.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:47 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
No, of course not. Not every Muslim is part of Al Qaeda or the Taliban, and not every Christian listens to Glenn Beck and Rush Limpballs.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I am a CHRISTIAN which means I follow the teachings of Christ. Have you even read the book of Matthew? Christ taught that, with the shedding of His blood He fulfilled the law of the prophets and that we no longer live under law but under grace....His grace. And, as He said, we will be now judge by whatsoever we did to the "least of these." "Blessed are the peacemakers," "Blessed are the merciful." "Blessed are the meek." Remember those teachings? Those are the teachings of Christ and those are the teachings that Christians are to follow.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No. I don't agree with everything you say, either (I'm Episcopalian, pro-choice, don't believe the ENTIRE bible is the word of God, and think that there are other paths to God besides Christianity, don't care if people are gay or not), but I don't think Sarah Palin could even stand up to MARTHA Washington, am against the death penalty, wouldn't know any of those TV-show people if they snuck up from behind and bit me in the ass, and think that the "Obama is a Muslim/born in Kenya" story is quite possibly the most retarded conspiracy theory to pop up in years.

I think the Christian right has lost its grip--if indeed it ever had it--on what Christ taught. Love God and one another--pretty hard to do. It takes a lot of effort and pretty much a lifetime to become the kind of person you should be, constantly reaching for a level of spirituality that is impossible to grasp.

Trying to impose laws upon others that make YOU more comfortable, rejecting others because they are not who YOU think they should be, claiming to be acting in the name of God to bring sorrow and harm to others--that's not Christian. That's our base human failing at work--everything we are supposed to strive not to be.

Conversely, in some things I am very conservative. I believe in accountability--if you harm others, especially the weak/innocent/children, etc., don't stand there and try to make me feel sorry for you because of some excuse of having a bad childhood or something. You go to prison for life, and maybe you will be able to make what you can there out of yourself. I believe people should freely give to the poor by choice rather than being forced to do so by a government order.

I don't favor one political party over another--by virtue of the fact that you've been elected to political office in this country, you've already sold your soul to somebody to get there.
I'm Catholic and I am in complete agreement with the "Mighty Queen" although I have to admit I may not be up to speed on Martha Washington but I do know it wouldn't take much to stand head and shoulder above Palin, Bachmann or Perry for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies