Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 689 times

Advertisements

northstarr22 you are not alone. I am actually glad to have found you. i was always raised in a moderate-liberal home and after I got saved I felt alone (politically speaking). I wont say that any one party's politics matches the teachings of the Bible, but I vote Democratic because I believe it's as close as I'm going to get. I was reading a book the other day that was unrelated to Christianity and politics but the author, a minister, talked about some of his friends and how they voted. He stated the majority of them based their vote solely on whether or not a candidate supports abortion. This might explain why many of them are right-leaning. While I don't support abortion the decision to base your vote solely on abortion is foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,518,975 times
No, you're not

Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Am I the only non-(politically) conservative Christian out there?

The title is a little hyperbolic, I mean, my close friends back home (in Michigan) are all left-leaning Christians. However, it seems like any sort of Christian organization leans FAR to the right, any organization, commentary or event targeting Christians has a right-wing slant, many churches promote the right-wing agenda and the vast majority of Christians I meet here (Minnesota) are far-right conservative Republicans. Additionally, it seems like most Democrats, moderates and / or liberals are atheists or agnostics.

I honestly feel like I'm the only one who feels this way. I read my Bible, and I don't see where it supports the Tea Party agenda. However, apparently most Christians think it does?! I just don't get why American Christianity seems to be married to the right-wing agenda? In my opinion, Republican economic policy, foreign policy and social agenda (other than abortion) stands in opposition to Biblical values. Are abortion and gay marriage really the ONLY issues American Christians care about?!

My views:
I am a Christian (non-denominational)
I believe Jesus is the only way to God
I believe the Bible is the word of God
I would describe myself as politically moderate
I am for a progressive tax system (tax the rich more)
I'm against "free trade" -- I support protectionist policies
I support single-payer, universal healthcare
I'm AGAINST the Iraq and Afghanistan wars (bring our troops home now!!!)
I oppose war in most cases -- I believe in diplomacy over military action
I'm against the death penalty
I'm against abortion in all cases
I'm personally against gay marriage, but I don't think the government should ban it
I support amnesty for undocumented immigrants and a guest worker program
I don't think Sarah Palin is the next George Washington
I don't listen to Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage or other such demagogues
I'm not a Tea Party member
I know Barack Obama is not a Muslim (or born in Kenya)

Am I really the only Christian who feels this way?
No, you aren't. I have several friends who are Christian and are politically left of center. In Oklahoma!!! LOL. They too, often feel isolated with family and friends.

IMO, true Christians are social liberals.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,783 times
I am a Christian.

I believe that Obama was a mistake. I will support Rick Perry for president because his job creation record is the best of all candidates.

I don't believe that the government should be involved in healthcare. I believe there should be more charities to help those who need healthcare and can not afford it.

I don't believe that everyone on welfare or unemployment is lazy. In fact, many of them are hard working individuals who desperately need a decent job.

I believe in a fair tax. Single people are often taxed unfairly in a progressive tax system. The more kids you have, the less you pay. Low-income single people still pay taxes. I don't believe those who are waiting until they are married to reproduce should be penalized.

I am against outsourcing. Shipping middle class jobs overseas is hurting this country big time. I believe that corporations who do this are using slave labor because the people who are replacing Americans are being paid nothing and working 20 hours a day in poor conditions. I believe any Christian who supports outsourcing to China and India needs to read the book of James in the Bible where he talks about fair wages.

I am against abortion. I believe adoption should be encouraged. Many people can not have kids and would raise them in a loving environment. I know three people who are struggling with fertility issues right now who would like to adopt kids.

Marriage is between one man and one woman.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Am I the only non-(politically) conservative Christian out there?

The title is a little hyperbolic, I mean, my close friends back home (in Michigan) are all left-leaning Christians. However, it seems like any sort of Christian organization leans FAR to the right, any organization, commentary or event targeting Christians has a right-wing slant, many churches promote the right-wing agenda and the vast majority of Christians I meet here (Minnesota) are far-right conservative Republicans. Additionally, it seems like most Democrats, moderates and / or liberals are atheists or agnostics.

I honestly feel like I'm the only one who feels this way. I read my Bible, and I don't see where it supports the Tea Party agenda. However, apparently most Christians think it does?! I just don't get why American Christianity seems to be married to the right-wing agenda? In my opinion, Republican economic policy, foreign policy and social agenda (other than abortion) stands in opposition to Biblical values. Are abortion and gay marriage really the ONLY issues American Christians care about?!

My views:
I am a Christian (non-denominational) I'm part of a denomination (Lutheran) but I'm Christian, so yep
I believe Jesus is the only way to God Yep
I believe the Bible is the word of God Yep
I would describe myself as politically moderate Yep
I am for a progressive tax system (tax the rich more) Yep, although I'm not exactly sure what the right balance is
I'm against "free trade" -- I support protectionist policies I think we have to be a little protectionist, but not completely. I try to be a big follower of buying local and buying American, though, and supporting small businesses over mega-corporations if possible.
I support single-payer, universal healthcare Outside of forcing people to buy healthcare, I'm in support of making sure everybody has access to affordable and quality care
I'm AGAINST the Iraq and Afghanistan wars (bring our troops home now!!!) Afghanistan was legit at first, but it's been going on a little too long. Iraq was a false premise from the start.
I oppose war in most cases -- I believe in diplomacy over military action Yep
I'm against the death penalty I'm not against the death penalty in principle, but it should be reserved for only the most heinous crimes. Plus, since it's often applied to innocent people, this is unforgivable.
I'm against abortion in all cases I'm against it in all cases except rape, incest, and the life of the mother
I'm personally against gay marriage, but I don't think the government should ban it I'm a little torn on this one. I think different people have different views on homosexuality, both from a spiritual and a practical standpoint, and it's unfair to enforce or condemn one side or the other. I don't think the government should stand in the way. It's almost a "government should stay out of marriage" philosophy, but not quite. I think my official position is that I would vote "no" to ban gay marriage but I'm not sure what I would do if the question was rephrased in the pro-gay marriage direction.
I support amnesty for undocumented immigrants and a guest worker program I support a guest worker program - this would substantially help with those who depend on migrant workers and the workers themselves, and going after the employers of undocumented immigrants more so than the immigrants themselves. I am strongly opposed to the racist connotations that some people (not all) have about this issue.
I don't think Sarah Palin is the next George Washington Yep
I don't listen to Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage or other such demagogues Yep
I'm not a Tea Party member Yep
I know Barack Obama is not a Muslim (or born in Kenya) Yep

Am I really the only Christian who feels this way?
My answers in red. I think there are a lot more moderate Christians out there than we are led to believe - they just don't get the press time.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I am a Christian.

I believe that Obama was a mistake. I will support Rick Perry for president because his job creation record is the best of all candidates.

I don't believe that the government should be involved in healthcare. I believe there should be more charities to help those who need healthcare and can not afford it.

I don't believe that everyone on welfare or unemployment is lazy. In fact, many of them are hard working individuals who desperately need a decent job.

I believe in a fair tax. Single people are often taxed unfairly in a progressive tax system. The more kids you have, the less you pay. Low-income single people still pay taxes. I don't believe those who are waiting until they are married to reproduce should be penalized.

I am against outsourcing. Shipping middle class jobs overseas is hurting this country big time. I believe that corporations who do this are using slave labor because the people who are replacing Americans are being paid nothing and working 20 hours a day in poor conditions. I believe any Christian who supports outsourcing to China and India needs to read the book of James in the Bible where he talks about fair wages.

I am against abortion. I believe adoption should be encouraged. Many people can not have kids and would raise them in a loving environment. I know three people who are struggling with fertility issues right now who would like to adopt kids.

Marriage is between one man and one woman.
Seems like you align more with conservative Christianity.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evelife915 View Post
northstarr22 you are not alone. I am actually glad to have found you. i was always raised in a moderate-liberal home and after I got saved I felt alone (politically speaking). I wont say that any one party's politics matches the teachings of the Bible, but I vote Democratic because I believe it's as close as I'm going to get. I was reading a book the other day that was unrelated to Christianity and politics but the author, a minister, talked about some of his friends and how they voted. He stated the majority of them based their vote solely on whether or not a candidate supports abortion. This might explain why many of them are right-leaning. While I don't support abortion the decision to base your vote solely on abortion is foolish.
It is frustrating because we are a minority. For a long time in the evangelical community, not voting Republican made you a second class Christian--if they considered you a Christian at all. (I've been to church with people like nononsenseguy). After I abandoned conservatism three years ago, my relationship with the church suffered, largely because I felt that I wasn't considered a proper christian by some, or at least "mixed up". I mean, when you're raised to think that all good Christians vote Republican, then you stop voting Republican, it messes with you and it makes you wonder if you're a bad Christian. So I drifted away from the church for a while, but I'm slowly finding my way back to it, though I'll never be a full blown conservative again.

I just try to remember that I'm a Christian because Jesus died for me, not the church. Jesus is who I follow, not other Christians, and likewise any issues I have with the church should not ruffle my views of Jesus because he doesn't change. So I go to church, but I steer clear of political discussions with most Christians. If I meet someone who's a Christian, I automatically assume they're right wing, and I make a mental note not to discuss politics with them, and if it comes up, I try to steer the conversation to something else. It's just easier that way.

Politics really shouldn't be an issue at all in churches, IMO. Be conservative, be liberal, I don't care. But don't make it an issue for others, because Jesus himself didn't care who was in power. He was ambivalent toward Herod, Pilate and Caesar, because he had more important things to do than get tangled up in politics. And so do his followers.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,378,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
No, you aren't. I have several friends who are Christian and are politically left of center. In Oklahoma!!! LOL. They too, often feel isolated with family and friends.

IMO, true Christians are social liberals.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:07 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
It is frustrating because we are a minority. For a long time in the evangelical community, not voting Republican made you a second class Christian--if they considered you a Christian at all. (I've been to church with people like nononsenseguy). After I abandoned conservatism three years ago, my relationship with the church suffered, largely because I felt that I wasn't considered a proper christian by some, or at least "mixed up". I mean, when you're raised to think that all good Christians vote Republican, then you stop voting Republican, it messes with you and it makes you wonder if you're a bad Christian. So I drifted away from the church for a while, but I'm slowly finding my way back to it, though I'll never be a full blown conservative again.

I just try to remember that I'm a Christian because Jesus died for me, not the church. Jesus is who I follow, not other Christians, and likewise any issues I have with the church should not ruffle my views of Jesus because he doesn't change. So I go to church, but I steer clear of political discussions with most Christians. If I meet someone who's a Christian, I automatically assume they're right wing, and I make a mental note not to discuss politics with them, and if it comes up, I try to steer the conversation to something else. It's just easier that way.

Politics really shouldn't be an issue at all in churches, IMO. Be conservative, be liberal, I don't care. But don't make it an issue for others, because Jesus himself didn't care who was in power. He was ambivalent toward Herod, Pilate and Caesar, because he had more important things to do than get tangled up in politics. And so do his followers.
I would suggest changing churches. If politics are being discussed in Church, don't walk but run out of the doors.

On your way out, you may notice this sign.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:09 PM

910 posts, read 1,677,368 times
I agree with the OP on most all points minus the healthcare system and amnesty. Taxes I'm undecided on, though I support less of them most all of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies