Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your views on blacks having their own media?
There's nothing wrong with it 58 33.53%
It's racist 109 63.01%
I don't know 6 3.47%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

...what i'm trying to figure out is what's so wrong about having ways to celebrate and express our own distinct culture? it doesn't mean that we're trying to separate ourselves from the rest of society
it depends, Al.

i don't think Ebony magazine and BET espouse racism, although they do facilitate this idea that blacks are different and isolated from mainstream white society.

however when you look at a lot of the small-town local black newspapers... especially in the south... you see some pretty racist ideas about white people and the alleged motives of the "white establishment".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 11:54 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
"it's not fair! black people get to do and say whatever they want and i can't!"

Old 11-10-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
it depends, Al.

i don't think Ebony magazine and BET espouse racism
how so? when you will see white people on BET and in Ebony magazine? a few years ago when his solo career was really taking off, justin timberlake was all over BET. followed by robin thicke (in his music video for "lost without you" dancing with his black wife)....and today you see justin bieber on the station. so i'm still not getting all this "BET espouses racism" thing

EDIT: nevermind. i just noticed you said "don't". i'm sorry.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
, although they do facilitate this idea that blacks are different and isolated from mainstream white society.
well, when it comes to entertainment and culture, we kind of are. generally speaking, blacks and whites don't sing, dance, dress, talk, or express ideas the same. BET caters to the demographic that enjoys those cultures born out of the black experience

Old 11-10-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
well, when it comes to entertainment and culture, we kind of are. generally speaking, blacks and whites don't sing, dance, dress, talk, or express ideas the same. BET caters to the demographic that enjoys those cultures born out of the black experience

sure, i agree with that.

problem is, it is hard for me to have any sympathy for the plight of "cultural black America", when i feel that they're making an effort to distance themselves from the white anglo-saxon sort of economics, culture, education, family values, et cetera, that i consider to be healthy, traditional, American core values.

and the response might be, "well we don't want or need your sympathy..."

but that response is incongruent from a lot of the political ideas i see coming from america's black communities, so i don't really believe it.

Last edited by le roi; 11-10-2010 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
however when you look at a lot of the small-town local black newspapers... especially in the south... you see some pretty racist ideas about white people and the alleged motives of the "white establishment".
hey, no need to pick on the south. especially considering the fact that the most radical ideas are usually expressed by black muslims and black supremacists, who are largely found in northern cities

Old 11-10-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
hey, no need to pick on the south. especially considering the fact that the most radical ideas are usually expressed by black muslims and black supremacists, who are largely found in northern cities

i'm not picking on anybody. i'm from the rural deep south, so it is what i know. i've never lived up north.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
That right there is perpetuating those accursed stereotypes. Blacks don't "dress, sing, dance, talk like whites." You are reinforcing the ghetto stereotypes of blacks. "Dress differently" -- ghetto clothing, baggy jeans, etc., "talk differently" -- Ebonics / ghetto slang instead of proper English, "express ideas differently" -- ??? The "demographic" BET appeals to (today) is "ghetto thugs" and "hoodrats" and wannabe "ghetto thugs" and "hoodrats."

I fail to see why blacks need a separate culture, anyway. Second and third-generation Latinos, Asians and Africans all assimilate into mainstream American society, speak standard English, etc. Why do (some) blacks continue to resist this? Why not assimilate? Why not become part of the larger American fabric instead of constantly wanting to separate yourselves?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
well, i'm from the rural deep south, so it is what i know.
i'm not saying your lying, i'm saying that i'm sure it's far worse in urban areas

Old 11-10-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
That right there is perpetuating those accursed stereotypes. Blacks don't "dress, sing, dance, talk like whites." You are reinforcing the ghetto stereotypes of blacks. "Dress differently" -- ghetto clothing, baggy jeans, etc., "talk differently" -- Ebonics / ghetto slang instead of proper English, "express ideas differently" -- ??? The "demographic" BET appeals to (today) is "ghetto thugs" and "hoodrats" and wannabe "ghetto thugs" and "hoodrats."
i love the way you automatically went to the worst of each one

dressing differently could mean that woman who wears her african attire to church or even the hair style she chooses. it could mean the black man who dresses in stacy adams, or the kid who loves street wear (not necessarily sagging, dummy)

talking differently could mean the natural accent or tone that most black people have, or the lingo that comes out of our communities (not necessarily improper english). and i hear whites using improper english all the time, so don't even start that bulls**t

it is YOU, sir, who insists on assuming the worst of your own people. your post above proves that.

Last edited by AlGreen; 11-10-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies