Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 07:12 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
I don't think he understand that "percentages" win elections not sheer numbers... 14.5% of poor in New York State doesn't explain why the entire state votes blue
Did you miss the population part? What's the population of NYC, Buffalo, etc., compared to New York's rural areas? Given that, how can the rest of the state's votes overcome the urban populations' votes?

Furthermore, NYC's poverty rate is 19.9%.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Let's keep this in mind:

In FY 2009, black families comprised 33.3% of TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) families, non-Hispanic white families comprised 31.2%, and 28.8% were Hispanic.

"Characteristics and Financial Circumstances of TANF Recipients – Fiscal Year 2009". United States Department of Health and Human Services.
Good. Now compare those percentages to their demographic groups' percentage of the population as a whole.

Black: 13.1%
non-Hispanic White: 63%
Hispanic: 16.9%

Recognize the problem, yet?

Do you need help with the math?

Old 05-29-2014, 10:33 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Seems to me you're making my point. The high percentage of poor in the high population cities keep electing Democrats. How's that working out for them? Are fewer on public assistance? Are their children getting better K-12 educations?
Your point was that the majority of the land mass in a state was red as if Land mass should dictate who the state votes for and not the actual people.

And as I already explained, the majority of poor people, live in the South, in states controlled by Republicans.

while poor people in those states indeed vote blue, Republicans still control those states, so no, i wasnt making your point. You have no valid point.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:40 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,002,815 times
Quote:
Actually, I've lived all over the U.S. (though, yes, for decades in Illinois when I was raising my family), have travelled the world, and now live on a beach on the east coast.

Read the last paragraph of this post to learn more about why I so strongly believe the way I do:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/34986548-post165.html

You seem intelligent. Do you really believe democrats are trying to keep people ignorant to control them? Your partisan rants are cherry picked to prove your particular beliefs. Stats can be spun to fit almost any situation you wish. A case in point is your assertion that liberal cities are where the poor are concentrated and this causes the state to vote a particular way. The point being that rural areas haven't the population or the votes to counter. Lets take our stats from the us census.

New York population - 19,576,125
Poverty rate -14.9%

Texas population - 26,448,193
Poverty Rate - 17.4%

So how does your theory take that into account?

Old 05-29-2014, 10:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Your point was that the majority of the land mass in a state was red as if Land mass should dictate who the state votes for and not the actual people.

And as I already explained, the majority of poor people, live in the South, in states controlled by Republicans.

while poor people in those states indeed vote blue, Republicans still control those states, so no, i wasnt making your point. You have no valid point.
Because they can't afford to live in the expensive liberal states.
There's a thread on that. They are coming to the south and living in the south because it's cheaper and affordable for them.

Poor people can't afford expensive cities/states.

You think we grow poor people in the south ?

Old 05-29-2014, 11:00 AM

Please read own link instead of blindly posting it.

This link defines segregation as Minority majority schools, But it doesnt define white majority schools as "Segregated"

From your link

Quote:
West Virginia is the most integrated state across the board. The share of black students in majority-white schools is incredibly high — 92.6 percent.(West Virginia is 95% white)
To put it in plain words, the article is claiming that if you go to an all white school, we dont consider that segregation, but if you go to an all black school, that is segregation.

And as for your second link, Again, income inequality is not about the distance between the very top and the very bottom, that is a misinterpretation of the phrase. And misrepresents the argument.

Your link argues that the people in the top 25% of the Blue states earn 2.27 X what those in the bottom 25% of those states make and in the read states its 2.18 between the 2, but that has nothing ot do with actual wages.

Median income in Illinois and New York are 53,230 and 55,250 ; Where as median income in West Virginia and Mississippi are 38,400 and 36,900.

You are arguing everyone is poorer in the South so there is less "inequality" but that argument doesnt work when you actually know what that phrase is.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
You seem intelligent. Do you really believe democrats are trying to keep people ignorant to control them? Your partisan rants are cherry picked to prove your particular beliefs. Stats can be spun to fit almost any situation you wish. A case in point is your assertion that liberal cities are where the poor are concentrated and this causes the state to vote a particular way. The point being that rural areas haven't the population or the votes to counter. Lets take our stats from the us census.

New York population - 19,576,125
Poverty rate -14.9%

Texas population - 26,448,193
Poverty Rate - 17.4%

So how does your theory take that into account?
And CA has even worse numbers.
But CA and TX have huge populations of illegals counted among the poor.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
No. My point was that the poor clustered in big cities vote Democrat and swing the whole state.
Quote:
As I've already stated, that's mathematically impossible.

Here's why, again:
Quote:
Poverty is more concentrated in cities. There simply aren't large enough cities in red states with enough of a population to outnumber the poor in blue state cities. The three most populous cities are NYC (8.34 million), LA (3.86 million), and Chicago (2.71 million). Poverty rates: 19.9%, 21.2%, and 22.1%, respectively. All 3 of the most populous cities are in blue states. There are significantly more poor people living in blue states. Percentage-wise, the majority of poor Americans live in large cities in blue states.

(Note to moderators: all images appearing in this post have been linked via HTML text command in a legally permissible manner per the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Perfect 10 v. Amazon ruling, and as such do not constitute copyright violation.)

Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because they can't afford to live in the expensive liberal states.
There's a thread on that. They are coming to the south and living in the south because it's cheaper and affordable for them.

Poor people can't afford expensive cities/states.

You think we grow poor people in the south ?
I do not understand why Conservatives have to lie about the fact that the South is poor as if it is a secret that someone let slip.

People who move to the South have high paying jobs waiting for them. I have yet to meet a single person who moved down here just because it is cheaper. In fact every snowbird I have ever talked too says cost are higher.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,002,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And CA has even worse numbers.
But CA and TX have huge populations of illegals counted among the poor.
I wasn't picking on Texas. It was just a comparison to prove a point. The problems run much deeper than partisan nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies