Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:53 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I could not just buy clean urine.

A nurse watched.

BTW, a clean drug test will only help you get a job.

Over the years I have wanted to hire more than one guy that failed the test.
Well, many people COULD buy clean urine. That's the main reason why mandatory drug-testing for welfare and UI benefit recipients, will not work. It's just a ridiculous fantasy, for those who want to monitor and control the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Well, many people COULD buy clean urine. That's the main reason why mandatory drug-testing for welfare and UI benefit recipients, will not work. It's just a ridiculous fantasy, for those who want to monitor and control the poor.
What would they do with it??

Old 01-06-2011, 02:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
We either have a fourth amendment or we don't. It either works for everyone, or it works for none of us. That is how this country works and that's what they don't get. Your earlier comment about how it would make this country closer to a police state was right on.

Those of you that say that you've had to be tested for work...how many of you are required to pay for that testing yourself? Yet most of you seem to want the "poor" to pay for their own testing.

How the hell is that fair to the ones that aren't even using? And can the federal and state governments afford to pick up the tab for the testing themselves at this point?

Companies drug dest for insurance purposes. You can be tested if a cop pulls you over based on a little thing called "reasonable suspicion", so that little argument doesn't fly.

Urine can certainly be bought or "borrowed", meth users can pass a test days after using, and as far as alcohol goes...guess what. It's legal. Those of you who want to legislate who can and can't use it due to demographics apparently aren't capable of grasping the fact that if you allow the government to have the power over individual lives to the extent that someone collected UI benefits can't even have a beer if a neighbor offers it to them, then you'd better be prepared to have hand over that amount of control over your own life to the government. Because that's what legal precedents do. It's how it works.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:40 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
So you want to dredge-up things that I pointed out on other threads, and get off topic by doing so. Then that's your decision. But it's not adding anything relevant to THIS thread, or the subject matter contained within, which is: 'should welfare and UI benefit recipients be required to take drug tests?'

There are in fact, more whites on welfare. HOWEVER, as I pointed out, there are a DISPROPORTIONATE number of minorities collecting welfare and UI benefits, based on their numbers in the general population. This is something that you and other posters on this (and other threads), don't seem to grasp.
I don't recall specifically addressing my post to you, but, be that as it may be, your inconsistencies are not my problem. I do recall however you being the one to bring up this particular sub-topic in this thread, so oh well, guess you thought it was relevant when YOU did so. Don't be surprised when you brign up an issue that other posters then address same.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Do you think MY privacy was not invade while I swat-ed over a cup while a nurse watched???
In fact, I do think that your privacy was invaded. And I don't advocate mandatory drug-testing for employees wither, unless they have jobs that would affect other people's lives, or they have to drive a vehicle on the job, or operate machinery on the job.

That being said, there's no reason to invade the privacy of UI and welfare recipients at all. They have 4th amendment privacy rights, just like any other citizen. And I don't want to see ANYONE's 4th amendment rights abolished, just because some of you posters want to control the poor!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
OK, now assume she loses her benefits due to a failed drug test. Who feeds the kids?
How about a church.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I don't recall specifically addressing my post to you, but, be that as it may be, your inconsistencies are not my problem. I do recall however you being the one to bring up this particular sub-topic in this thread, so oh well, guess you thought it was relevant when YOU did so. Don't be surprised when you brign up an issue that other posters then address same.
I HAVE been consistantly saying, that I don't advocate drug-testing for welfare and UI benefit recipients, for a host of reasons. Go back and read my posts on this thread, and you'll realize that.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:22 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,393 times
I think people should only be required to pass a drug test for social safety nets if our elected representatives to government who claim morals have to take a religious morals test for public office.

For the record, I consider pot to a form of anti-hypocrisy medication.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:03 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
I'll say it again (said it pages ago), I wouldn't want to give or loan a friend money in the name of need for housing or food only to have her spend it on cigs, drugs, partying, etc. It's thieving as far as I'm concerned. And any person so effed up to be on public assistance is just that much more effed up to be using drugs/whatever. As with a friend, there is nothing I could do about her choices, but it would clearly mark her as a loser in my book.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:10 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'll say it again (said it pages ago), I wouldn't want to give or loan a friend money in the name of need for housing or food only to have her spend it on cigs, drugs, partying, etc. It's thieving as far as I'm concerned. And any person so effed up to be on public assistance is just that much more effed up to be using drugs/whatever. As with a friend, there is nothing I could do about her choices, but it would clearly mark her as a loser in my book.
What does that have to do with the 4th amendment?

Not a thing, that's what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies