Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I think a younger gay couple could be perfectly good parents. I think this couple is selfish to start a family so late. They offer the child adoration and money but they certainly cannot offer the child the physically engaging, energetic parenting the child deserves. It most likely doesn't matter as the child will most likely be raised by a nanny or two.
My understanding is they started their family as soon as they could. I don't see how it is selfish to start so late when they had so many conservative bigots fighting them every step of the way.

They wanted to adopt and tried very hard to do so but were unable too. They wasted many years on that. I am sure from your point of view that makes them selfish. From my point of view, they did the best they could with what they had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Don't ask any of us for that favor. Only God can do something like that for you and maybe you will be reborn, as Hindus believe, just that way.
LOL... talk about taking a comment too seriously! I wasn't asking you (or anyone else here) anyway - how arrogant of you to think such a thing.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The man is 48 and that makes him 68 in 20 years not 40. I am just stating a fact that, I understood very well, when my first son was born when I was 48 and the second one when I was 52.
My parents are both in their 60's, and still QUITE healthy and active... I don't even think of them as old yet, and they both still work hard and travel regularly. In fact, I'd even say they do more than I do at this point! People live longer these days, so you aren't really "too old" to raise a kid at 48 anymore. You managed, right? It's not like raising a kid is easy regardless, no matter how young or old you are. And at least they won't have money problems.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Nobody should be having kids past say age 50.

I also do not believe gay people should have children.
Well, luckily they don't need your permission first... they'll do it anyway, and this kid will probably grow up better than most people here. At least he won't be raised as a bigot.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I disagree because I know many children being raised by fathers because they were abanoned by mothers.
Yup! I've known people who were raised by single dads, grandparents, lesbian moms, gay dads, and every other combination you could imagine... some turned out great, others turned out normal, but none were completely screwed up due to their "abnormal families."

My best childhood friend lost her mother to cancer as a child, and never really knew her dad, so her elderly grandparents took custody. They were already in their 70's when she came to live with them, and they took wonderful care of her... the grandmother died about 10 years ago, when my friend was already in her twenties, and the grandfather is still alive & over 90. These two "old people" did a fantastic job of raising her, and she never resented the situation. Point being, you don't need a "typical family structure" in order to thrive - that has already been proven tenfold.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:47 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
It takes a village, including the old folks, to raise a child.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:03 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
Congrats to Elton and David

Old 12-29-2010, 07:51 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Sure, those are stereotypically manly character flaws to have.
On what planet?

Manly character flaws do not typically include hating women. It is usually watching too much television, leaving the toilet seat up, forgetting to water the plants, or failing to see how dirty the house is.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
Am I too old to be adopted by him? :-)

Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's not confusing to anyone but the mentally handicapped, perhaps. Some men are flamboyant and like other men. That's just the way it is. Kids love their parents and accept them for who they are, regardless of their sexual orientations.
I've never suggested the kid wouldn't love his 2 "daddies". That was never the point.

I stated that the kid will be confused about what a real man is and I feel sorry for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies