Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I've never suggested the kid wouldn't love his 2 "daddies". That was never the point.

I stated that the kid will be confused about what a real man is and I feel sorry for him.
Please do tell us, what is a 'real man'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 09:31 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Am I too old to be adopted by him? :-)
I know, huh??

Old 12-29-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Please do tell us, what is a 'real man'?
I was wondering that myself. "Real" men (and women) come in many forms, and macho men don't always make for good fathers. Not to mention, there are plenty of straight guys who don't act "typical" - whatever your definition might be. Heck, my father can barely hammer a nail & is completely useless at sports... but somehow he raised a son who received a baseball scholarship to college, and (prior to injuring himself) could pitch an 88mph fastball. Go figure!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
It seems to me that most of you are just jealous because Elton John will probably be a better parent then you could ever hope to be.

You can't be serious! You think a senior citizen will be a better, more engaged parent than a more youthful parent who can engage in vigorous physical activity with the child as he/she grows?
Does it really take "vigorous physical activity" to be an engaged parent, though? What of the soldier who returns to his family as a quadriplegic? Would you say he/she couldn't be involved and engaged in his/her child's life?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Btw, here's a more recent article on them: News - Sir Elton John: Baby Fulfills Longtime Dream for the Couple - Moms & Babies - UsMagazine.com (http://www.usmagazine.com/momsbabies/news/sir-elton-john-baby-fulfills-longtime-dream-for-the-couple-20102912?utm_source=dailynewsletter&utm_medium =email&utm_campaign=newsletter - broken link)

According to the article, their son's name is Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John... quite a mouthful, but at least it's not a weird "celebrity name." And the article states that yes, they were rejected for adoption, even after hiring an international lawyer to help. So much for that one poster's "how selfish of them" theory. Also says Elton dismissed the idea of parenting at first, due to his age and frequent traveling, but changed his mind when they saw those babies in the Ukraine. Appears they both thought long & hard about the decision, and I wish them all the best of luck.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have to disagree with you about wanting for nothing. I just don't believe men either gay or straight can give kids what a woman can give them. Nope, I just don't think so. I think that God created woman for a reason and that would be to give a kind of love that men can't give.
In my experience, it's not that a man can't give the same kind of love to a child as a woman can. It's more that they either never learned how or they think it makes them somehow "unmanly". I don't think that will be a 'problem' for Elton and David.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,650 times
Another individual having a child that has no business doing so. completely selfish. With his lifestyle, it is unlikely he'll exceed the average life expectancy. Even if he does, he'll still have a hard time raising the child at his age. This kid is being brought into an unfortunate situation. When he's 70, I doubt he's going to have the patience or energy to deal with an 8 year old child. Not to mention the confused abnormal upbringing the child will be exposed to. Society is getting ridiculous in that it wants to not hurt anyone feelings. Self entitlement will be our undoing. Then again, we do live in an age where parents let the TV do the actual parenting, while the parents assume the role of "friend". Because "OH MY GOSH!!!! my daughter/son can't hate me!!!" Incidents like this make me think that the movie Idiocracy isn't too far fetched.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I've never suggested the kid wouldn't love his 2 "daddies". That was never the point.

I stated that the kid will be confused about what a real man is and I feel sorry for him.
So, why don't you give us your definition of a "real man"? 'Cause I've got three sons, all of whom I would describe as 'real men' and I'd bet not one of them meets your definition.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:04 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,925 times
Quote:
I do all those things but I don't think my kids are confused about my manliness. Maybe it's his flamboyant personality and the fact that he likes men.
Alright here's one for you. There are two guys. One who shops, fusses about his hair, watches "America's Top Model", and likes Disney Songs. Another guy that shops at Target, gets $10 haircuts, likes sports (soccer star back in HS), and also likes to shoot guns. The first guy is also good at sports. The second one is bi/gay. Is the second guy less manly? Is the first guy? Both are manly. Manliness in the 21st century shouldn't that strict. We know more and more about human nature and the myriad of traits that are exhibited.

Sexuality is not something that you learn or pick. It just kind of happens. Trust me on that. You don't pick. To state I'm any less "manly" (which is a ridiculous statement, one is less manly because one doesn't adhere to Anglo social norms of manliness, ironically enough I do).

There are flamboyant people. I personally don't like their tastes. However, that doesn't mean that their kids will be confused about masculinity. The kids will be alright.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:07 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
So, why don't you give us your definition of a "real man"? 'Cause I've got three sons, all of whom I would describe as 'real men' and I'd bet not one of them meets your definition.
To some, THIS is a real man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies