Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 06:50 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You know his song "Someone Saved My Life Tonight?" Beautiful song, and I better understood the meaning of it after his show... a movie playing behind him during the performance showed a young Elton partying, drinking, and eventually trying to commit suicide. He was saved by a man with angel wings, which either represented an actual man and/or the music which saved his life. As a musician myself, I understand how it can heal one's soul.

"I never realised the passing hours of evening showers
A slip noose hanging in my darkest dreams
I'm strangled by your haunted social scene
Just a pawn out-played by a dominating queen
It's four o'clock in the morning
Damn it listen to me good
I'm sleeping with myself tonight
Saved in time, thank God my music's still alive"
I read somewhere that Colin Powell met Elton John and told him that his Cold War song Nikita (about someone in love with someone else they can see through the gate in the Berlin Wall) was very inspiring to him. I love that song.

There're so many good ones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 06:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Very old people having children (and let's face it...62 is pretty old) seems little more than an act of pure selfishness.

What of the child? What will he/she get but a father too old to play with them, old enough to probably die before they reach adulthood? At that age, it's unlikely John, or anyone else, will live long enough to see the child even graduate from high school, let alone be there for them when they're grown. With the Father facing the prospect of declining health, who will be nurturing whom? And, at what age will the child have to begin dealing with that? 5? 10? 14?

Frankly, I think that's all quite a burden to put on a child just so you can have a legacy of some sort.
I meet 40 year-olds who could never play with their kids cuz they're so unhealthy and out of shape and 80 year olds who are still running half marathons...it really depends on the parent. Both my grandmothers are in their 90s right now...and they're still ticking...they were getting around just find a decade ago...everyone is different.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:54 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OH man, did you get to see the Red Piano tour? I went to Vegas just before it was coming back there and they were advertising everywhere.
Yup, and on my birthday (a few years ago) nonetheless... it was amazing!!

Old 12-28-2010, 06:56 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
P.S. Twenty bucks says this will turn into a gay marriage (and general "is gay okay?") debate by page 5...

Old 12-28-2010, 07:05 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. Twenty bucks says this will turn into a gay marriage (and general "is gay okay?") debate by page 5...
Why else would anyone open a discussion like that in the politics forum?

Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I don't need statistics to point out the obvious.

I thought not.

How about answering the 2nd question? What horrible social disadvantages to you see for this child?

Old 12-28-2010, 07:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Very old people having children (and let's face it...62 is pretty old) seems little more than an act of pure selfishness.

What of the child? What will he/she get but a father too old to play with them, old enough to probably die before they reach adulthood? At that age, it's unlikely John, or anyone else, will live long enough to see the child even graduate from high school, let alone be there for them when they're grown. With the Father facing the prospect of declining health, who will be nurturing whom? And, at what age will the child have to begin dealing with that? 5? 10? 14?

Frankly, I think that's all quite a burden to put on a child just so you can have a legacy of some sort.
This is kinda where i come down. Too old. Don't care that he's gay.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Not according to many a 84 year old man
Or a 24 year old woman waiting for a big inheritance...

Old 12-28-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I have come to the conclusion that there is something that is sadly wrong with the psyche of the average human being.

Maybe there is hope in the next evolution.
All the current evidence points toward devolution...

Old 12-28-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavMeAlone View Post
What the hell are you talking about? He's a normal person. And even if he was "visibly gay", what the .... you care? You wouldn't say this about Hulk Hogan or Duane Chapman.
I think he's way to old. He should have done this 30 years ago. I suppose the kid will view this differently because he/she was raised this way and won't mind, but I think it's to old. So no, the child will not feel as if he's his/her grandfather lmao. Such BS.
Since no one seems to want to voice this I will: the kid will be ostracized by other children because the parents are "different". My children suffered because my wife and I are different races. Why can't we be honest about this? The poor kid's going to pay a price.

Elton John is a lot of things, but "normal" is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies