Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:42 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,210,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What do you all think of a 62-year-old man having a child?

I have to wonder if the social conservatives who praised Elton John for being in favor of civil unions instead of same-sex marriage will also praise him for having a child at his age - not to mention the fact that he is gay.

Elton John becomes a dad - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAYshow.com

I would say it is no one's business but his
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Very old people having children (and let's face it...62 is pretty old) seems little more than an act of pure selfishness.

What of the child? What will he/she get but a father too old to play with them, old enough to probably die before they reach adulthood? At that age, it's unlikely John, or anyone else, will live long enough to see the child even graduate from high school, let alone be there for them when they're grown. With the Father facing the prospect of declining health, who will be nurturing whom? And, at what age will the child have to begin dealing with that? 5? 10? 14?

Frankly, I think that's all quite a burden to put on a child just so you can have a legacy of some sort.

good grief
62 is not old, what are you 20??
my mother is 92 and still going strong!

Old 12-28-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
My conviction is that the child is not in any way "fortunate". Monetary wealth does not bring happiness, and the abnormal "family" it is going to be brought up in will cause great social disadvantages. I hope for the child's sake that I am wrong in this prediction.

oh brother!!

Old 12-28-2010, 06:11 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
But introducing a "beer swilling misogynist" into the dialogue is a perfect chain of logic?

Sure, those are stereotypically manly character flaws to have.

If you're more comfortable with other issues, feel free to substitute them at your leisure. I've already explained the intent of the post in question - that acting "manly" isn't a guarantee to being a good father without flaws that could/would impact your children's lives.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:53 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,044 times
remind me folks. did they make such a big stink when antony quinn became a father at 80something? and someone please clue me in, when is sir elton going to die? he might have a good 30 years left in him. who knows.

this child will be well cared for.
this child WILL know his fathers.
this child will be fine.

much ado about nothing.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What do you all think of a 62-year-old man having a child?

I have to wonder if the social conservatives who praised Elton John for being in favor of civil unions instead of same-sex marriage will also praise him for having a child at his age - not to mention the fact that he is gay.

Elton John becomes a dad - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAYshow.com
Nobody should be having kids past say age 50.

I also do not believe gay people should have children.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Of course I'm not for Homosexuals raising children but besides that elton's age comes into play, when the kid is in his teens he will most likely need the closest attention and cause the most worries, Elton will be in his late 70's, I don't see that as being a good situation but this is Elton John and in reality he wont be raising this child multiple people will, nanny's and such and the kid will have a sheltered life from the real world so it wont be like if I had to raise a kid at 62. There are a lot of varibles, mental and physical health, attitude, economic situation, Elton got most of that covered.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
Congrats to them. I hope one of them lives long enough to see the child grow, graduate high school, graduate from college, get married, and have children. At least the child will want for nothing.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:00 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,871 times
There are 2 men in this equation, Elton, and his husband David Furnish who is only 48. Hardly too old to have a child.

The bigotry on this board is amazing. As soon as the word "gay" enters into the conversation, then religious bigots of all stripes jump in just bending over backwards to be doomsayers.

Elton John and David Furnish have been in a stable relationship for 17 years, and legally married for the final 5 of those years. They attempted to adopt children, but were unable too, not because of Elton's age, but because most at need children come from homophobic countries that don't allow gay adoption, like the Ukraine. (Oh, if only the people on this board would move to these countries, they would be much happier.)

So, we have a stable married couple who waited 17 years to have children, were unable to adopt, so they hired a surrogate. The same thing that many STRAIGHT couples do in America all the time. One of these husbands in only 48, younger than most of the self professed fathers on this board.

By any angle you look at this, the happy couple put a lot of care and thought into becoming parents. A hell of a lot more care and thought then about 75% of straight people in the world do when they have their "whoops!! you mean the rhythm method doesn't work??" babies.

But because people are so ridiculously homophobic they grasp as straws to try to defend their own bigotry. News flash people, gays are good at raising children! There is no reputable study or evidence that states contrary. In fact, the Williams institute recently discovered that the incidents of child abuse in Lesbian households is statistically ZERO.

I have noticed that the same people are always on this forum being homophobic. Don't you people have anything better to do? You remind me of the people I knew growing up who were in the Klan. They went on and on and on about how "scientifically blacks were inferior" and badmouthing every black celebrity, not based on the content of their actions, but the simple fact that they were successful and black. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

It seems to me that most of you are just jealous because Elton John will probably be a better parent then you could ever hope to be.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
It seems to me that most of you are just jealous because Elton John will probably be a better parent then you could ever hope to be.

You can't be serious! You think a senior citizen will be a better, more engaged parent than a more youthful parent who can engage in vigorous physical activity with the child as he/she grows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies