Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:07 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,735,237 times

Advertisements

A survey of 100,000 doctors by the Physicians Foundation finds that 40% say they will stop practicing altogether within three years when Obamacare is fully implemented. I guess that's how Obamacare will bend downward the cost curve: by making sure fewer people get medical treatment because they can't find a doctor to treat them. And Michael Moore will get his wish. Our health care will be just like Cuba's: two-tiered. The wealthy and the politically-connected will continue to enjoy quality care. The rest of us will be treated to third-world medical care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 09:14 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
A survey of 100,000 doctors by the Physicians Foundation finds that 40% say they will stop practicing altogether within three years when Obamacare is fully implemented. I guess that's how Obamacare will bend downward the cost curve: by making sure fewer people get medical treatment because they can't find a doctor to treat them. And Michael Moore will get his wish. Our health care will be just like Cuba's: two-tiered. The wealthy and the politically-connected will continue to enjoy quality care. The rest of us will be treated to third-world medical care.
Never happen. If you honestly believe that nearly half of the doctors practicing today would give up their careers and all the money and perks that goes with it you are not being realistic. Some may not like the idea and even be vocal about it but give up their high paying jobs over it, yeah right.
Casper

Old 12-31-2010, 09:17 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
And do what..take a job at Walmart?

Shocking at how many people don't recognize hyperbole when they see it.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:20 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,836,090 times
A link to the actual survey would be helpful. It might be more plausible if it was 40% would consider stopping practicing medicine.

Some physicians don't live paycheck to paycheck and could afford to retire at will - especially older physicians that have been in practice longer.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:45 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And do what..take a job at Walmart?

Shocking at how many people don't recognize hyperbole when they see it.
I am sure Doctors will take their ball and stomp off home. To be sure, many Docs feel they will lose out on some money as a result of the HC Law. They have certainly been told that by some people. Some may be so anti-Obama, they may well quit. Particularly if they don't need the money, and want to be looked at as martyrs by their adoring friends. But, the demand for Doctors will increase and the supply of them will follow suit.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
What a crock! When the time comes, they'll say: "I was going to quit, but my kids are starting college, I have to save for retirement, there's nothing else I can do to make a living where I'd get paid nearly as much, it's not as bad as I thought it would be,", blah, blah, blah!

I work with five doctors. I have never heard any one of them say that.

The sky is not falling.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-31-2010 at 10:32 AM..

Old 12-31-2010, 10:30 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What a crock! When the time comes, they'll say: "I was going to quit, but my kids are starting college, I have to save for retirement, there's nothing else I can do to make a living where I'd get paid nearly as much, it's not as bad as I thought it would be,", blah, blah, blah!

I work with five doctors. I have never heard either one of them say that.

The sky is not falling.
I "binged" the physicians foundation site and found it very, very thin, almost devoid of content. It is a 501(c)3 front organization of mostly right leaning ideology. Reading their press releases, it appears to specialize in hit pieces attacking HCR, the World Health Organization, etc. It was formed as a result of a lawsuit settlement in 2003. Not really much going on there at all. Personally, I'd need some other, more mainstream medical organization to verify that 40% figure. Then I might give the OP some creedence.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
It's easy to get out of the system. Move overseas and practice there, move into cosmetic surgery, run a practice that refuses any insurance carriers, or just leave practicing medicine entirely and run a medical based business with one's contacts and experience. Someone used a strawman of working at wal-mart. Doctors are much more educated to enjoy a variety of other options that would circumvent Obamacare.

It may not mean 40% will leave through one of these methods, but it's gonna make a dent for current (and certainly future) doctors. No one is going to take on that kind of student debt if they cannot get a decent return on investment.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:53 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Makes a good case for nationalizing Health Care.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:53 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Look at the positive side:
we'll have highly educated people working the drive-thru window at MacDonalds and as greeters at Walmart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies