Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,759,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm talking about DURING this recession.
When the country tanks you don't go spending money you don't have.
Firing up the printing press (QEx) to give yourself money is fairly new within the past 2 years.

Sorry, Medicare Part D - not paid for.
Iraq and Afghanistan - not originally included in the overall budget
Printing money is nothing new.

As much as I am enjoying reading through the responses - isn't this a duplicate thread?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...acks-down.html

Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,786,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you notice that your Reuters piece was printed Wednesday, Jan. 5 at 5 or 6 pm? How in hell did you read it soon enough to link it as early in the day as you did?
I don't know what you are talking about Roy. What are you accusing me of this time?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 AM

68,364 posts, read 54,576,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

That is right. The GOP has a mandate and they will use it as a bludgeon for those dems who want to continue their out of control spending.
They'll use it as a bludgeon to spend on things they want to spend on. Diane Sawyer interviewed a number of incoming Representatives, the ones receiving farm subsidies didn't show much enthusiasm for cutting them.

One justified his health care plan as being offered by his employer. When was the last time his employer, (us), had the opportunity to decide what his benefits and/or salary should be?

It may be a different flavor but it's the same old Dog & Pony show.

Last edited by burdell; 01-06-2011 at 07:27 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 07:21 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,791,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
They'll use it as a bludgeon to spend on things they want to spend on. Diane Sawyer interviewed a number of incoming Representatives, the ones receiving farm subsidies didn't show much enthusiasm for cutting them.

One justified his health care plan as being offered by his employer. When was the last time his employer, (us), had the opportunity to decide what his benefits and/or salary should be?

It's may be a different flavor but it's the same old Dog & Pony show.

LOL, are you suggesting that the government isn't his employer and further that his employer doesn't offer benefits?

You get to decide on the benefits package every election, the same way I get the opportunity to decide if NPR should continue to get public support. If that is a hot button issue for you petition you representative.

I would give the Republicans more than 12 hours before I decide they are worthless.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:21 AM

20,700 posts, read 12,576,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Somehow they were able to fool the voters to vote for them, but the GOP didn't wait long to show their old colors.

I admit that I was one of those people who were fooled into voting for them.
and why would you think that something would be different this time?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 AM

20,700 posts, read 12,576,856 times
Quote:
The pledge lasted as long as the contract with America, which is until the inauguration day. That is when these contracts expire.

The Tea Party must be furious. I expect to see them back on the street by the end of the week screaming to see some GOP blood.
The Tea Party did there job and you won't hear from them until the election gets closer.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:28 AM

38,651 posts, read 26,455,472 times
Quote:
The promise was to cut 100B in spending, and the goal has already been reduced to 50B, and they have been in power only hour.

And it just happens to be THE #1 PROMISE that got them voted in.

Republicans take over House, dilute cuts | Reuters

Republicans scaled back plans for deep cuts in government spending as they took power in the House of Representatives on Wednesday, diluting a key promise that helped them to victory in November's election.

Hmm, let's see, a $50 billion cut vs. $1.3 trillion defictis as far as the eye can see.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:29 AM

59,428 posts, read 27,577,910 times
Quote:
The promise was to cut 100B in spending, and the goal has already been reduced to 50B, and they have been in power only hour.

And it just happens to be THE #1 PROMISE that got them voted in.

Republicans take over House, dilute cuts | Reuters

Republicans scaled back plans for deep cuts in government spending as they took power in the House of Representatives on Wednesday, diluting a key promise that helped them to victory in November's election.
As usual, half truths. the repubs said in SEPTEMBER that they would cut the spending for the 2011 FISCAL year. But, the dems did not pass a budget for 2011. A continuing resolution was passsed covering the first half of 2011. So, if my math is correct 100B for 1 year or 50B for half a year.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,786,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
As usual, half truths. the repubs said in SEPTEMBER that they would cut the spending for the 2011 FISCAL year. But, the dems did not pass a budget for 2011. A continuing resolution was passsed covering the first half of 2011. So, if my math is correct 100B for 1 year or 50B for half a year.
My math says three months is not quite half a year.

Also, did the Republicans really think they were going to get inaugurated any sooner than January? Any idiot knows when the inauguration is, so if you say you are going to cut 100B, then obviously people expect you to do just that.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 AM

68,364 posts, read 54,576,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
LOL, are you suggesting that the government isn't his employer and further that his employer doesn't offer benefits?
Are you suggesting the government is not 'we the people'?

If it is, that makes us the employer. And where is the requirement for us to offer benefits? Based on the job Congress has done the last 30-40 years or so I don't b elieve they deserve any, they're lucky to get a salary.

Quote:
You get to decide on the benefits package every election, the same way I get the opportunity to decide if NPR should continue to get public support. If that is a hot button issue for you petition you representative.
That's simply not true, Congress gets to vote themselves a pay raise. Even if there are campaign promises to the contrary they're not binding and mean nothing.

Quote:
I would give the Republicans more than 12 hours before I decide they are worthless.
Why? It only took about that long for them to start backing away from their campaign promises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies