Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 03:17 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times

Advertisements

Well some the stuff we are debating will come to be true, some is speculation. I don't see America becoming a banana republic anytime soon, but will no longer be living it up to the extent it has and having the ego of being "kick ass #1 and remember we saved your asses so shut up" when dealing with the world.

Oz in SC talks about Australia being not important in the global scheme, but it is hardly a 3rd world country and overall the people I communicate with from there like it. So maybe in the end being the world might won't define greatness of America but the principles of its founding will continue to define its greatness? If those survive anyway. Can't see it surving when a small percentage of Americans will be super wealthy and the majority go to lower class. When you are a corporation, and you have a huge amount of people needing employment, specially on a global scale they will be dictators to who and what gets wages the way I see it. Because what is a Amercan who once made $20 or $25 a hour going to do when he can't get work? Either accept $8 a hour or not work that's what. Yet the owners and share holders of the corps or business will florish from this situtation. That is my speculation anyway.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 03:30 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
I don't see what the big deal is about America not being the number 1 economy in the world in the future. Even if China passes us in GDP, it isn't about to pass us in GDP per capita anytime soon. Our standard of living should continue its upward rise - especially now that the economy is growing again.

At least when our nation isn't the largest economy we won't have the lackluster countries of the world blaming all their problems on us.

Also, isn't America already in 2nd place? The European Union has an economy that is a few trillion dollars bigger than ours.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:32 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Well some the stuff we are debating will come to be true, some is speculation. I don't see America becoming a banana republic anytime soon, but will no longer be living it up to the extent it has and having the ego of being "kick ass #1 and remember we saved your asses so shut up" when dealing with the world.
No we wont be Angola...but then we won't be the USA either...

Quote:
Oz in SC talks about Australia being not important in the global scheme, but it is hardly a 3rd world country and overall the people I communicate with from there like it.
I like some of the people too....mainly my family though...

Quote:
So maybe in the end being the world might won't define greatness of America but the principles of its founding will continue to define its greatness?
Yes,that IS what is great about this country...the founding principles,the ideas,not the military might or former industrial power.

Quote:
If those survive anyway. Can't see it surving when a small percentage of Americans will be super wealthy and the majority go to lower class.
Was it much different in the 1930's?

Quote:
When you are a corporation, and you have a huge amount of people needing employment, specially on a global scale they will be dictators to who and what gets wages the way I see it. Because what is a Amercan who once made $20 or $25 a hour going to do when he can't get work? Either accept $8 a hour or not work that's what. Yet the owners and share holders of the corps or business will florish from this situtation. That is my speculation anyway.............
Sadly this may come to pass,and equally sad is that everything the nation has been through there would be little to show for it.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:32 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Economically and militarily, it is basic numbers and demographics that dictate that China will surpass the United States in terms of "power" and "influence."

However, that is not the be all and end all of "power." The day China becomes "the land of opportunity" and somewhere people escape TO, rather than FROM, for freedoms, is the day that the United States will truly have "passed the torch."

Until such time, however, the US (and the Western world) will continue to have an advantage over a rising China... which for now is a place to go if you want to make or save money, but not somewhere one goes because it's a great place to raise a fami...err.. child. Preferably male.

Edit: Besides, what benefits do we really get, as Americans, for being the world's policeman? Why must our taxpayers shoulder the burden of keeping the world in order while other nations (looking at YOU, Europe), can stay safely under the US protection umbrella and divert funds to social projects, infrastructure and education?

Old 01-20-2011, 03:52 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

Sadly this may come to pass,and equally sad is that everything the nation has been through there would be little to show for it.

Which leads me to think this...........

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17503625-post35.html

Can't blame the Americans who don't own the production for looking out for themselves either. I personally vote basically Libertarian, but I don't 100% support the stance of no regulation and let the competition fight it out. Not when we are talking globalism anyway.

I have nothing against the ultra rich, until they step on others to become even richer. The boss should make more than the employee, but when the bosss starts making more and more and the employee less and less, not good for the long term stability of the country.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:55 PM

657 posts, read 697,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Edit: Besides, what benefits do we really get, as Americans, for being the world's policeman? Why must our taxpayers shoulder the burden of keeping the world in order while other nations (looking at YOU, Europe), can stay safely under the US protection umbrella and divert funds to social projects, infrastructure and education?
Are you really the world's policeman though? Some might argue you are actually the world's greatest villain. (looking at the illegal Blitzkrieg against Iraq)

Old 01-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Economically and militarily, it is basic numbers and demographics that dictate that China will surpass the United States in terms of "power" and "influence."
This is true.

Quote:
However, that is not the be all and end all of "power." The day China becomes "the land of opportunity" and somewhere people escape TO, rather than FROM, for freedoms, is the day that the United States will truly have "passed the torch."
I don't see that happening...however I DO see that the USA is losing it's luster as a place to make it,the place you can succeed or do what you want...

Quote:
Until such time, however, the US (and the Western world) will continue to have an advantage over a rising China... which for now is a place to go if you want to make or save money, but not somewhere one goes because it's a great place to raise a fami...err.. child. Preferably male.

Quote:
Edit: Besides, what benefits do we really get, as Americans, for being the world's policeman?
Well...NOW it is used to keep our position as number one,which requires spending enormous sums of money we don't have...

Quote:
Why must our taxpayers shoulder the burden of keeping the world in order while other nations (looking at YOU, Europe), can stay safely under the US protection umbrella and divert funds to social projects, infrastructure and education?
Perhaps right after the end of the Cold War was the last chance for the USA to 'retire' as world policeman...now it looks like we are going to get fired with no pension.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
Are you really the world's policeman though? Some might argue you are actually the world's greatest villain. (looking at the illegal Blitzkrieg against Iraq)
Yeah, Denmark, we ARE the world's policeman. The "civilized" European sissies (save a couple of nations with some actual spine) are content to sit back and let the US, UK and a couple others do the dirty work of maintaining western civilization while they sit back and b*tch like a bunch of old women. It's gotten so bad that the soldiers in some Euro countries have to hitch rides on American planes and transports just to get where they want to go.

BTW: "Some" might argue we're the world's greatest villain, but "some" would also appear to have zero frame of global reference and a severely messed up moral compass.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC

Well...NOW it is used to keep our position as number one,which requires spending enormous sums of money we don't have...
It's really all about ego then. I mean, really, land wars, etc. are so passe unless toppling tin pot dictators such as Saddam Hussein. Do either the Chinese or the Americans ever anticipate a land war against one another? Do we really need to be Japan's military force for fear they'll rise again? And why won't we just abandon Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC
Perhaps right after the end of the Cold War was the last chance for the USA to 'retire' as world policeman...now it looks like we are going to get fired with no pension.
Fired, no pension, and no respect. Put out to pasture like a father that has outlived his usefullness to his bratty children about to inherit his millions.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Do either the Chinese or the Americans ever anticipate a land war against one another?
The Chinese do at some point,probably after the USA and her allies have declined much more in power.

Quote:
Do we really need to be Japan's military force for fear they'll rise again?
No,they actually are doing more,probably because they too see the writing on the wall.

Quote:
And why won't we just abandon Europe?
That I have no idea...although it is WAY less of a presence than during the Cold War.

Quote:
Fired, no pension, and no respect. Put out to pasture like a father that has outlived his usefullness to his bratty children about to inherit his millions.
Pretty much how I see it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies