Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
The state of California buys more from China than OZ. Multiply that by 10 and you have what China loses if the US falls. Their costs rise as their market shrinks and Australia feels the bite as the cost of goods rise to compensate for the loss.
But the money is running out here,China knows that and is developing new markets all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 11:51 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Everything eventually fails. History has proven that. It's how we get new things.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Everything eventually fails. History has proven that. It's how we get new things.
Yes.
Difference this time is you are living in the nation that is failing....

Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Any great soceity falls when they do not adjust to the realities and conditions of a changing world. Most that failed, desperately tried to artificially maintain what they wanted the world to look like, not what it was evolving to. We are fortunate that we have the leadership in place to help bring this Country forward to the realities of the world. Some here are resisting that, but doubt they will be able to stop it. If we can't prevent them, then we will fail. History has proven that.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:14 PM

79 posts, read 114,110 times
I think how our nation will fair is tied to globalization, which is a world-wide event. In the end, some countries, like the US, will go down in power. Other countries, like India and China, will go up as they increase economically by producing more world goods. I wouldn't have a problem with this, except that I see the effect it is having on the US. We are losing the middle class and becoming a nation of haves and have not's, while the rich get richer and jobs continue to go overseas. I don't see that turning around, and the end result will be loss of power for the US. We are already part way through the process. I think my grandchildren will need to prepare to work for global US companies who send their execs overseas, like many are doing now, or prepare to work for overseas companies in order to have a better life.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Any great soceity falls when they do not adjust to the realities and conditions of a changing world. Most that failed, desperately tried to artificially maintain what they wanted the world to look like, not what it was evolving to. We are fortunate that we have the leadership in place to help bring this Country forward to the realities of the world. Some here are resisting that, but doubt they will be able to stop it. If we can't prevent them, then we will fail. History has proven that.
What leadership would that be???

The one currently continuing and expanding our military adventures?

The one currently pushing us deeper and deeper into debt?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazl View Post
I think how our nation will fair is tied to globalization, which is a world-wide event. In the end, some countries, like the US, will go down in power. Other countries, like India and China, will go up as they increase economically by producing more world goods. I wouldn't have a problem with this, except that I see the effect it is having on the US. We are losing the middle class and becoming a nation of haves and have not's, while the rich get richer and jobs continue to go overseas. I don't see that turning around, and the end result will be loss of power for the US. We are already part way through the process. I think my grandchildren will need to prepare to work for global US companies who send their execs overseas, like many are doing now, or prepare to work for overseas companies in order to have a better life.
I doubt there is that great a demand for American execs to where even 10% of future generations will be 'needed' overseas.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What leadership would that be???

The one currently continuing and expanding our military adventures?

The one currently pushing us deeper and deeper into debt?
It would be the leadership that is not trying to move us back to 1850.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It would be the leadership that is not trying to move us back to 1850.
Again,how does going ever deeper into debt and getting involved in more wars solve the problems this nation is facing?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
As the power of the USA wanes and it goes the way of other powerful nations and empires,how many here will be able to live with the idea?

By that I mean most Americans alive now have ALWAYS lived in the most powerful nation on earth,they have known nothing else,when the USA slips into second or third place as a global power,how will this affect you?

Coming from a nation that has never been one of the 'players',it matters little to me.

But a lot of Americans seem to be quite attached to being No. 1.
Americans don't give a damn. They only care about buying cheap crap at Walmart, how large their TV's and houses are, how many toys they can fit in their garages and driveways, reality TV, and what the hell Simon said on the last episode of American Idol.

As long as you don't get between them and any of that garbage, they really couldn't care less that the country is getting sold down the river.

Besides, most people are delusional enough to think that we can't possibly fall to number 2 because we're pre-ordained by God to be number 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies