Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
But but but but.....It was a GAY B&B....that excuses it.

As a gay man, I don't see what the fuss was about, if the guys didn't like the ladies policy, then get their a$$es in their car and find another hotel. No need for a lawsuit.

Whatever happened to the term "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"??

I guess it now means "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, except blacks, latinos, gays, asians, sex offenders, drug addicts, convicts, etc"
Applause for you....

You actually grasp that some might not like you and that is that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Sorry but they new the rules these people had about marriage, they were posted on the site when they booked the room, homosexual activists had already complained, they knew before they went there, it was all a set up, better read your article.
So if you announce your intent to break the law, it therefore means you can?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:44 PM

657 posts, read 697,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I agree, TXTwizter. It was their home so they should have the right to refuse service and make the rules.
So you think it's okay to put a "No Blacks" sign in the window?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
How about if it is your home you make the rules? If it was my B&B and my home it would be unwise to not be able to refuse service to whomever I wanted, for whatever reason I wanted.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
"Mr Preddy booked a room at the B&B in 2008 and Mrs Bull assumed he was bringing his wife with him. When he arrived with his civil partner Mr Hall, the pair were refused a double room by the manager Bernie Quinn, who instead offered them seperate single rooms."

"Outside court Mrs Bull said the result was a disappointment. 'Our double-bed policy was based on our sincere beliefs about marriage, not hostility to anybody,' she said."

Gay Couple Win B&B Discrimination Case Against Christian Owners, Damages Of £1,800 Each | UK News | Sky News

Way to go!!! Too bad this type of discrimination against gays and lesbians - the denial of service at a hotel, restaurant, dry cleaner, etc. based on sexuality or perceived sexuality - is legal throughout most of the United States. When will the US stop treating gays and lesbians as second class citizens?
I'm going to have to disagree here.

I'm a small government guy, I don't want the government telling anyone they have to serve anyone else on their own private property.

If a black owned grocery store doesn't want to serve me because I'm white, well, thats their right. If I want to open a bar that allows smoking, and you don't like smoking, don't go there.

I would never go to a B&B that denied homosexuals service, I can vote with my money. But I don't want to tell a private business owner they have to do something or serve someone that they don't want to serve.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
"Mr Preddy booked a room at the B&B in 2008 and Mrs Bull assumed he was bringing his wife with him. When he arrived with his civil partner Mr Hall, the pair were refused a double room by the manager Bernie Quinn, who instead offered them seperate single rooms."

"Outside court Mrs Bull said the result was a disappointment. 'Our double-bed policy was based on our sincere beliefs about marriage, not hostility to anybody,' she said."

Gay Couple Win B&B Discrimination Case Against Christian Owners, Damages Of £1,800 Each | UK News | Sky News

Way to go!!! Too bad this type of discrimination against gays and lesbians - the denial of service at a hotel, restaurant, dry cleaner, etc. based on sexuality or perceived sexuality - is legal throughout most of the United States. When will the US stop treating gays and lesbians as second class citizens?
Is it legal throughout the USA?

I'm not aware of that.

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
I'm just pointing out and upset with the double standard - the inequitable treatment under the law.

When it comes to businesses that accommodate the public, in most of the US it is perfectly legal for a Christian to discriminate against a gay. However, it is illegal for a gay to discriminate against a Christian.

In most of the US, a Christian hotel owner can discriminate against gay people by denying them service. However, in all of the US, a gay hotel owner is forbidden by law from discriminating against Christians and denying them service.

How is that fair????

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Under English law, the hotel is a commercial enterprise and subject to community standards, rather than private ones. Under those standards it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality, etc.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
I'm just pointing out and upset with the double standard - the inequitable treatment under the law.

When it comes to businesses that accommodate the public, in most of the US it is perfectly legal for a Christian to discriminate against a gay. However, it is illegal for a gay to discriminate against a Christian.

In most of the US, a Christian hotel owner can discriminate against gay people by denying them service. However, in all of the US, a gay hotel owner is forbidden by law from discriminating against Christians and denying them service.

How is that fair????
Its not fair, I want everyone to be allowed to discriminate against everyone.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:53 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm going to have to disagree here.

I'm a small government guy, I don't want the government telling anyone they have to serve anyone else on their own private property.

If a black owned grocery store doesn't want to serve me because I'm white, well, thats their right. If I want to open a bar that allows smoking, and you don't like smoking, don't go there.

I would never go to a B&B that denied homosexuals service, I can vote with my money. But I don't want to tell a private business owner they have to do something or serve someone that they don't want to serve.
I think there are signs people put up in stores etc. that say "we reserve the right to refuse service".

Whatever that means.

I've seen signs like this before. Never seen that exercised against someone of an ethnicity or sexual persuasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies