Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I didn't say it excused them but it's shamefull thery were set up like that, it's just another example of one group dividing themselves even further, doing things like this only hurt your cause not help.
I know. This is almost as shameful as those blacks who tried to eat at Woolworths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
If it is your home and you are not charging visitors to stay there then you have that right. But when you run a commercial enterprise that right is superseded by the law.
Aren't most INNs owned by folks who actually live in them? That would also make the INN their home. As for charging people to stay no argument.
At the same time its the owners loss for refusing a customer.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What if they'd been discriminated against because of, oh lets say, religion?

Legal in most of the US:

Clerk: Thanks for checking in, I assume you two men want separate rooms?
Patrons: No thanks, a single room with one bed is sufficient
Clerk: Oh, you're gay. We don't rent rooms to gay people. Please leave.

Illegal in all of the US:

Clerk: I see your limo says just married.
Patrons: Yes, we just got married at the Catholic Church down the road.
Clerk: Oh, you're Christians. We don't rent rooms to Christians. Please leave.

Why is it Christians (or Muslims, or Jews, or Blacks, or the handicapped, or the French, etc, etc, etc) get special rights, but gays don't?

To me that seems a violation of this principle: "No State shall...deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Religion is protected by the Constitution as is the equal protection of the laws.

Has what to do with same sex marriage?

Do you realize Congress has no Constitutional authority to permit or restrict any marriages outside of the military and District of Columbia?

The Constitution is silent on marriage and that means it is up to individual states to write their own laws which are valid as long as another state is not required to follow their legislation.

If, for example, MA marries a same sex couple and they come to MI, they are unmarried in MI even though MA considers them a married couple.

If it were not this way, one state government could impose its legislation on another.

Also keep in mind, as we travel down the road of tortured rationalizations, more and more unintended consequences will come into play like polygamy.

If you argue their is no compelling reason to forbid same sex marriage, what logically consistent reason do you have for butting into the private matters of consenting adults who wish to marry in groups?

When you throw the concept of "normal" out the window, be prepared for the very abnormal to fill the void.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:05 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Your business, your rules.

They were not denied service.

They were told to do business at our establishment as we see fit.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I know. This is almost as shameful as those blacks who tried to eat at Woolworths.
Again, not an equal comparison.

You're comparing a statewide tradition of banning a group, to a small minority of people who disagree with something for religious reasons.

I mean, I know if I go to my grandparents house, if I spend the night I'm sleeping in a separate bed from my childs mother. Just because we aren't married. I mean, she's pregnant, the cats kind of out of the bag.

But do you know what I do? Instead of demanding that they turn their backs on their beliefs, I simply sleep somewhere else, my dads. If an easy alternative thats just as good is available, then why all the fuss?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
I always defend the right of gay people to live in a society free of prejudice and discrimination. I am pro- gay rights. I believe in equal treatment of every one ... but ...

Brother! These folks are running a bed and breakfast, how many rooms does it have?! If they don't want gays sharing a room, so be it. It's not like the 675 room Hilton Hotel is denying gay people to stay there. I think very small Mom & Pop businesses can be exempted from some of these rules.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Funny, I can't google and find one article that says

"Homosexuals discriminate against Christians" in the news. I found a hell of a lot of "Christians discriminate against homosexuals".

Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Default Will Gay only B&Bs be forced to close under equality ruling?

Will Gay only B&Bs be forced to close under equality ruling? | Transforming Grace

Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Another attack on religion by the Homosexual agenda, they looked and targeted these people because of the notice on their site, what a shameful display from the Homosexuals. They are just soo tolerant of others beliefs.
Tolerance is a 1 way street for homosexuals..............

Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,677 times
Mate of mine who is gay thought the couple were dead wrong in shoving their homosexuality down the throat of a couple who because of their religion are against gay couples sharing a bed in their HOME.

If I do not wish to have Jewish etc etc etc couples staying at my home that should be the law, my home,business, it should be my decision to to decide to serve you or not.

Being a liberal I would have tossed them out the second floor window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies