Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
But but but but.....It was a GAY B&B....that excuses it.

As a gay man, I don't see what the fuss was about, if the guys didn't like the ladies policy, then get their a$$es in their car and find another hotel. No need for a lawsuit.

Whatever happened to the term "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"??

I guess it now means "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, except blacks, latinos, gays, asians, sex offenders, drug addicts, convicts, etc"
It's very refreshing to see a reasonable and logical position on gay rights coming from someone that's gay. Rep to you, sir.

The same should apply to other "protected" classes, IMO. People will vote with their feet, and businesses and employers that don't want some peoples' money or talent are the ones that are losing out, while their competitors prosper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 PM

499 posts, read 405,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
"Mr Preddy booked a room at the B&B in 2008 and Mrs Bull assumed he was bringing his wife with him. When he arrived with his civil partner Mr Hall, the pair were refused a double room by the manager Bernie Quinn, who instead offered them seperate single rooms."

"Outside court Mrs Bull said the result was a disappointment. 'Our double-bed policy was based on our sincere beliefs about marriage, not hostility to anybody,' she said."

Gay Couple Win B&B Discrimination Case Against Christian Owners, Damages Of £1,800 Each | UK News | Sky News

Way to go!!! Too bad this type of discrimination against gays and lesbians - the denial of service at a hotel, restaurant, dry cleaner, etc. based on sexuality or perceived sexuality - is legal throughout most of the United States. When will the US stop treating gays and lesbians as second class citizens?

You may find this interesting.

Equality Act 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
If they broke the law then they should pay. I wonder how many of the people that stayed there were really married. Did they ask for a marriage certificate?
lol good point maybe they checked for wedding rings. I remember my grandmother used to do that when men would bring women to her to get their hair done

Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 PM

499 posts, read 405,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
They went knowing that the owners planned to break the law. And I'm sorry, but I would disagree with your reason for not going. It is against the law for any hotel, motel, or B&B in this country to deny a room to any person just because they are black. If I were black and saw such an ad, I would be there in a heartbeat, take them to court and prove to them that they cannot do that. Just as I would do the same to any black innkeeper who tried to deny me a room based on the fact that I'm white.
I agree. I don't know if I would do what they did if I were in a similar position, but I understand their reasoning.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 PM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Sorry but they new the rules these people had about marriage, they were posted on the site when they booked the room, homosexual activists had already complained, they knew before they went there, it was all a set up, better read your article.
How does that excuse the owners? What if their add said "no coloreds", would that be ok?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
I am still confused as to why anyone would want to stay where they are not welcome.
The owners might be prudes and small minded but it is their property and should have the right to say who stays and who goes.
For example I wouldn't stay in an inn that didn't like white people.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am still confused as to why anyone would want to stay where they are not welcome.
The owners might be prudes and small minded but it is their property and should have the right to say who stays and who goes.
You know if it were snowing terribly and it was unsafe to drive to the next place, or if it was in the middle of the night, or they were the only place to stay for 100 miles, why they'd be upset.

But if I've just made a reservation, and there is a place across the street that is more than willing to take my money, I'd give the place where I wasn't welcome the big fo

Old 01-19-2011, 06:53 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
If it is your home and you are not charging visitors to stay there then you have that right. But when you run a commercial enterprise that right is superseded by the law.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:54 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How does that excuse the owners? What if their add said "no coloreds", would that be ok?
I didn't say it excused them but it's shamefull thery were set up like that, it's just another example of one group dividing themselves even further, doing things like this only hurt your cause not help.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You know if it were snowing terribly and it was unsafe to drive to the next place, or if it was in the middle of the night, or they were the only place to stay for 100 miles, why they'd be upset.

But if I've just made a reservation, and there is a place across the street that is more than willing to take my money, I'd give the place where I wasn't welcome the big fo
LOL No doubt. In my Military days there were bars and hotels that hated military guys, except in the off season of course. I never entered one of those places twice and never looked back. My money is just as good as anyone elses and I'll be damned if I let a basher profit from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies