Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:55 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think there are signs people put up in stores etc. that says "we reserve the right to refuse service".

Whatever that means.

I've seen signs like this before. Never seen that exercised against someone of an ethnicity or sexual persuasion.
There are certain occasions where it is legal to refuse service. For example it is legal for a bar to refuse service to someone who is drunk. However, it would be illegal to refuse service because that person was gay or black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 04:58 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
So much for private ownership. It is their business. It is their right to rerfuse business if they choose.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So much for private ownership. It is their business. It is their right to rerfuse business if they choose.

No it isn't. It is a commercial enterprise and such discrimination is illegal in England. They broke the law, it is as simple as that. If they want to discriminate then they should open a business in a country where it is legal.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
If this is a private business, I don't see anything wrong with them wanting the couple to sleep in separate rooms and not accepting gay couples.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Is it legal throughout the USA?

I'm not aware of that.
It is legal - not throughout, but in roughly half of the US it is.

There is no federal protection based on sexual orientation. That covers race, religion, national origin, etc. Some states have added it to their state civil rights laws, but many have not (I think it's like half-n-half). Some cities have added it too (for instance Florida offers no protection based on sexual orientation, but Key West does).

In many parts of the US it is perfectly legal for a business to deny someone a hotel room, a meal, to have the shirt dry cleaned simply, etc. simply because they are gay (or because the business owner thinks the person is gay).

Similarly, in many parts of the US it is perfectly legal to fire an employee simply because his employer finds out he's gay, rent an apartment to someone because he is gay, etc, etc, etc.

So yeah, it's legal in many parts of the US for a Christian business owner to discriminate against a gay, but it is always illegal for a gay business owner to discriminate against a Christian. And then the Christian has the nerve to say gays want "special rights" when all they ask for is equal treatment under the law.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:03 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
There are certain occasions where it is legal to refuse service. For example it is legal for a bar to refuse service to someone who is drunk. However, it would be illegal to refuse service because that person was gay or black.
Black yes - that would be illegal. In large parts of the US, however, it would be perfectly legal for a bar to deny service solely because the person seeking a beer is gay.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
So did they go there knowing there was going to be a problem? If I saw a website that said "black can't stay here" I wouldn't go there and then sue when I'm not allowed entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Black yes - that would be illegal. In large parts of the US, however, it would be perfectly legal for a bar to deny service solely because the person seeking a beer is gay.
Interesting. Did not know that.

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It is legal - not throughout, but in roughly half of the US it is.

There is no federal protection based on sexual orientation. That covers race, religion, national origin, etc. Some states have added it to their state civil rights laws, but many have not (I think it's like half-n-half). Some cities have added it too (for instance Florida offers no protection based on sexual orientation, but Key West does).

In many parts of the US it is perfectly legal for a business to deny someone a hotel room, a meal, to have the shirt dry cleaned simply, etc. simply because they are gay (or because the business owner thinks the person is gay).

Similarly, in many parts of the US it is perfectly legal to fire an employee simply because his employer finds out he's gay, rent an apartment to someone because he is gay, etc, etc, etc.

So yeah, it's legal in many parts of the US for a Christian business owner to discriminate against a gay, but it is always illegal for a gay business owner to discriminate against a Christian. And then the Christian has the nerve to say gays want "special rights" when all they ask for is equal treatment under the law.
I agree, allow the homosexuals to discriminate against Christians.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So did they go there knowing there was going to be a problem? If I saw a website that said "black can't stay here" I wouldn't go there and then sue when I'm not allowed entry.
According to them ... no. But its still irrelevant. The hotel owners broke the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies