Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:07 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its not fair, I want everyone to be allowed to discriminate against everyone.
Quote:
I agree, allow the homosexuals to discriminate against Christians.
Fair enough. You disagree with the Civil Rights Act on principle.

However, as long as the law (in your estimation a bad law) exists, shouldn't all citizens have access to its protections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 05:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

However, as long as the law (in your estimation a bad law) exists, shouldn't all citizens have access to its protections?
There seems to be quite a lot of people in this thread who think the law should only apply when they agree with it.

Now, if the hotel owners are not happy with the law then they should lobby their MP to get him/her to introduce a private member's bill to amend the law. But until the time that such an amendment is passed, they should take care to obey it.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I agree, allow the homosexuals to discriminate against Christians.
And I'm just curious where your line is when it comes to this issue.

Lets say there's only one hospital / emergency department in a rural area - next nearest is 400 miles away - and it's privately owned. Should that hospital be allowed to deny medical treatment to a critically injured black man because the owner is a racist and that's his right?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
According to them ... no. But its still irrelevant. The hotel owners broke the law.
Yeah the hotel owners were wrong I was just wondering if they went there already knowing the stance they had on homosexuality because of the comment in the article.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:
"Mr Preddy booked a room at the B&B in 2008 and Mrs Bull assumed he was bringing his wife with him. When he arrived with his civil partner Mr Hall, the pair were refused a double room by the manager Bernie Quinn, who instead offered them seperate single rooms."

"Outside court Mrs Bull said the result was a disappointment. 'Our double-bed policy was based on our sincere beliefs about marriage, not hostility to anybody,' she said."

Gay Couple Win B&B Discrimination Case Against Christian Owners, Damages Of £1,800 Each | UK News | Sky News

Way to go!!! Too bad this type of discrimination against gays and lesbians - the denial of service at a hotel, restaurant, dry cleaner, etc. based on sexuality or perceived sexuality - is legal throughout most of the United States. When will the US stop treating gays and lesbians as second class citizens?
Wonderful news! Because I have a number of gay and lesbian friends on facebook, I posted this there, along with your statement.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:

I see what you're saying, but its kind of making a bad situation worse.

Whats next, I can't tell someone they have to get out of my store because they are mentally ill and knocked over something?

Its kind of making a bad law worse. The federal government shouldn't be telling anyone they have to serve anyone.

The civil rights bill should have had a time limit on it. At the time, in the 1960's there was a state wide effort to make a race of people live as second class citizens. Today, the same stereotypes are much quieter and would be much less likely to start back up.

Hell in large parts of the south African Americans outnumber ethnic whites. If a grocery store wants to cut out 70% of their customer base, they won't stay in business long. Not to mention a great deal of people would boycott said business.

I think the civil rights bill should be repealed, and if someone wants homosexuals to have equal rights, I think they should want the civil rights bill repealed.

Otherwise we're just going to keep coming up with the next group of people that can't be denied service for whatever reason. I understand that homosexuality is normal, not a choice and is a biological function, but I don't want to make someone do something against their will, because it might offend someone else.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Yeah the hotel owners were wrong I was just wondering if they went there already knowing the stance they had on homosexuality because of the comment in the article.

It's possible. If so, I guess that puts them in the same class as those uppity .......... who staged lunch counter sit-ins back in the 50's and 60's despite knowing the no black rules.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
And I'm just curious where your line is when it comes to this issue.

Lets say there's only one hospital / emergency department in a rural area - next nearest is 400 miles away - and it's privately owned. Should that hospital be allowed to deny medical treatment to a critically injured black man because the owner is a racist and that's his right?
Now there is an interesting chance, and I've actually addressed that in other threads.

If you operate the only grocery store within a 20 mile radius, then you must service everyone that comes in your store, or arrange for them to be allowed service in some manner.

Hospitals, for the most part, take in government money from some way form or fashion. If you take federal money, you should have to service everyone.

But if I open my own business, with my own money, on my own land, with no one elses help, then I shouldn't be made to put in ramps for handicapped people, have special bathrooms, serve people with freckles, told I can't smoke in my store, etc.

Pretty much, it comes down to must haves, wants, and private money.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
Quote:
When will the US stop treating gays and lesbians as second class citizens?
The article originated from the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Sorry but they new the rules these people had about marriage, they were posted on the site when they booked the room, homosexual activists had already complained, they knew before they went there, it was all a set up, better read your article.
Agreed. This is another one of those Gay Agenda set-ups designed to make poor wittle gay boys and girls the victims of vicious institutional bigotry. In the end all it does is destroy a small business and the good owners' reputation -- hurrah for gay pride!

Old 01-19-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Now there is an interesting chance, and I've actually addressed that in other threads.

If you operate the only grocery store within a 20 mile radius, then you must service everyone that comes in your store, or arrange for them to be allowed service in some manner.

Hospitals, for the most part, take in government money from some way form or fashion. If you take federal money, you should have to service everyone.

But if I open my own business, with my own money, on my own land, with no one elses help, then I shouldn't be made to put in ramps for handicapped people, have special bathrooms, serve people with freckles, told I can't smoke in my store, etc.

Pretty much, it comes down to must haves, wants, and private money.
Does "government money" include police and fire protection? access to the public utility? road service to your business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies