Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 12:43 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times

Advertisements

The Right wing mantra:

Everything bad that happens in the world is Obama's fault.

Rinse and repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 12:48 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
That's just it, they do not. It is irrelevant anyway, this is a popular uprising. And any military will be swept away if the people decide so.
Where in the world did you come up with that? Reading some news would help.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/wo.../30-egypt.html

EDIT--the security police are hated by the Egyptian people, and they were the ones firing on them with rubber bullets and tear gas. The military stepped in and the police disappeared. The military is supporting a peaceful transition with the government there, and it looks like at this point, democratic elections. The most dangerous thing that could happen would be a total vacuum in leadership--that's how crazy dictators rise up quickly into power. If they want democratic elections, there has to be some structure there left in the government to make it happen.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:51 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Where in the world did you come up with that? Reading some news would help.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/wo.../30-egypt.html
I don't get it. How does this article in ny times in any way refute my point?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I don't get it. How does this article in ny times in any way refute my point?
I edited my post above. Again, the security police are the bad guys. The military has stepped in to protect the people from the security police, and it looks like they're a structure that exists that could make democratic elections even possible. If Egypt falls into anarchy with no leadership, that's how you have a political takeover without elections...

Old 01-31-2011, 12:54 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Quote:
That's just it, they do not. It is irrelevant anyway, this is a popular uprising. And any military will be swept away if the people decide so.
Egyptian protesters, soldiers join in solidarity
Quote:
Jubilant pro-democracy demonstrators and gun-toting soldiers rode together atop tanks into this capital city's main square Saturday in an extraordinary show of solidarity, even as President Hosni Mubarak took steps to engineer a possible transfer of power to one of his closest confidants.
Seems to me the protesters and the military have an amiable relationship, otherwise they wouldn't be riding together on top of tanks "jubilantly", no?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Seems to me the protesters and the military have an amiable relationship, otherwise they wouldn't be riding together on top of tanks "jubilantly", no?
Exactly. And it's a very good thing...

Old 01-31-2011, 01:06 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's why I think the best thing we have going for us is that the Egyptian military is popular with the people, friendly to us, and as another poster said, able to keep the country stable in the event that they move toward democratic elections.
I think we also need to keep in mind the OP article which framed this whole discussion to begin with. That if the US doesn't act and intervene, the results may be another event like Jimmy Carter "losing Iran".

Point being, we have an ally working overtime to try and convince America that if we don't act, catastrophic outcomes will ensue. What many are failing to realize here is that an ally is pro-actively trying to guide US foreign policy and public opinion for its best interest, the very thing most people here are saying we shouldn't be doing in regards to Egypt.

Amid rather bi-partisan support for the US to remain neutral, at least until the dust settles, it is quite evident that there are those who wish to associate Obama with one of the worst foreign policy disasters in US history preemptively.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:12 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Yes, many Egyptian soldiers are on the side of the protesters. But it doesn't include "the military" as in the overriding sense of taking control. That military is no friend of a common Egyptian.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
Quote:
Military takeover? You find that to be "the best outcome"? I don't know how else to put it but you are a moron for saying that. Are you from Egypt or know anyone there? You don't know what you are talking about.
I guess that you can't read. I qualified that statement by saying "leading to elections". The biggest threat to the Egyptian people and their friends and allies is chaos. The military is a respected institution in the country and I think it would be in everyones interests for them to take over as a "caretaker government". to end the crisis and set the country on the path to stability and freedom. This ploy has been used many times the world over and is sometimes sucessful and sometimes not. Because of the close relationship between the USA and Egypt I could almost guarantee that it would be sucessful in this crisis.

The USA has learned a lot over the past 40 years or so and a situation like we saw when the USA supported Pinochet in Chile would not happen today. The USA has supported many coups and gained the needed experience in managing the generals.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:38 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Is Egypt the 51st state? How can we lose a country we don't even own? If anyone loses Egypt, it'll be Hosni Mubarak.

Exactly the entire premise is bull******t. We should NOT be meddling in the internal affairs of Egypt.

The entire line of thinking that the United States could somehow "Lose" another country is indicative of the neo-conservative mentality that got us into Iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies