Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 03:14 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,019,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
No proof that we came from monkeys either. Or that wolves used to be dolphins, etc,etc.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but... DNA sequence analysis has completely sealed the proof that 'we came from monkeys' like Darwin surmised years ago. We are nothing but an ape mutation only few codons away from the ape. Larger brain and thumbs gave us advantage in the environment. 1000* years later..., who knows. Something else may be more adapted.

* and 1000 years is *nothing* in evolution terms, one of the postulates of evolutition is vast amount of time for an adaptation to take place

Old 02-08-2011, 03:15 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,042,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
15% of high school science teachers explicitly endorse creationism while 60% of teachers are to scared to stake a claim on the hard science.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/sc...R_HP_LO_MST_FB
Who is that comedian who who rants, "Evolution exists. I've seen the fossils!"

On the other hand, there's more actual evidence that I, Galileo Smith, am God, when compared to some unseen God in heaven. After all, people can see me. I exist. Yeah, no one has seen any all-powerful abilities come out of me, but no one has seen all-powerful abilities come out of any being. So technically I'm one-up since I inarguably exist. I just use my powers when no one is looking.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:17 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,125,124 times
Quote:
No proof that we came from monkeys either.
Wanna bet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl
Or that wolves used to be dolphins, etc,etc.
Well... probably 'cause you got that one pretty close to backwards.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~gingeric/PDFfiles/PDG413_Whaleevol.pdf

Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM

15,172 posts, read 8,721,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Not even Creationists believe that any more.

For example, in order to fit all the animals on the Ark they have accepted that all the existing modern species could not have been included. So they have invented the concept of the "Baramin" or "Created Kinds," and asserted that only these were represented on the Ark, and the vast number of current species evolved from them.

In other words... they fully accept that speciation occurs. And in fact, they accept as true far more evolution than that required to distinguish humans from Chimpanzees.

All that said... speciation has been repeatedly observed in both the laboratory and the field, and the mechanisms were exclusively mutation and natural selection.
Perhaps your reading comprehension skills are as faulty as your logic here ... I think the Noah's Ark business of literal interpretation of religious parable is as absurd as your side's opinion ... and I don't think that citing what Ark people believe is some legtimate endorsement of your side's nonsense. But desperate times call for desperate measures, so I suppose any acknowledgment, regardless of source is acceptable to you evolving beings.

Secondly, your claim that "speciation" has been observed as exclusively involving mutation and natural selection is COMPLETE NONSENSE too, on a couple of levels ...

1) There are as many arguments within the "evolutionist" camps over "speciation" as there are theories and types of 'speciation" being debated (while you insinuate there is consensus and uniformity).

2) The claim made dismisses interbreeding/hybridization among animal and plants capable of genetic reproduction or cross pollination, which is in reality the ONLY proven mechanism of "speciation". All other types are speculation and hypothetical. Even viruses exchange DNA or pick up foreign DNA, and through recombination, create a subspecies.

Furthermore, such creation of subspecies through interbreeding subspecies has been observed to produce LESS robust offspring in general (non-evolutionary) ... like a Horse and a Donkey who's offspring is a sterile mule ... with the term "mule" often used to describe other sterile hybrids of either animal or plant type, though hybrids can be equally or more robust in some instances.

Finally, hybridization/interbreeding is genetic recombination, blending and adding additional DNA information. This holds no similarity to genetic mutation, which is a subtraction or damage to DNA information that has NEVER been proven evolutionary.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:23 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,229,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
So you said it, nobody actually witnessed it. That was the point. Try and stay on topic.
The great thing about scientific fact is that it doesn't matter whether a person believes it or not in order for it to be true.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:27 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,996,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
The great thing about scientific fact is that it doesn't matter whether a person believes it or not in order for it to be true.
Well Said
Casper

Old 02-08-2011, 03:27 PM

39,947 posts, read 26,674,238 times
Quote:
No proof that we came from monkeys either. Or that wolves used to be dolphins, etc,etc.
There is scientific evidence to support evolution as a viable theory.

Where is the science behind creationism?

I see two basics that creationists fall back to.

1) My priest/prophit/imam/bible/koran/torah/rabbi/ect says so, therefore it's true.

2) The universe is too great and complex to be created by chance, therefore a "creator" must have done so. If that's true, isn't the creator more complex than the universe? If so, who created the creator?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,064,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Perhaps your reading comprehension skills are as faulty as your logic here ... I think the Noah's Ark business of literal interpretation of religious parable is as absurd as your side's opinion ... and I don't think that citing what Ark people believe is some legtimate endorsement of your side's nonsense. But desperate times call for desperate measures, so I suppose any acknowledgment, regardless of source is acceptable to you evolving beings.

Secondly, your claim that "speciation" has been observed as exclusively involving mutation and natural selection is COMPLETE NONSENSE too, on a couple of levels ...

1) There are as many arguments within the "evolutionist" camps over "speciation" as there are theories and types of 'speciation" being debated (while you insinuate there is consensus and uniformity).

2) The claim made dismisses interbreeding/hybridization among animal and plants capable of genetic reproduction or cross pollination, which is in reality the ONLY proven mechanism of "speciation". All other types are speculation and hypothetical. Even viruses exchange DNA or pick up foreign DNA, and through recombination, create a subspecies.

Furthermore, such creation of subspecies through interbreeding subspecies has been observed to produce LESS robust offspring in general (non-evolutionary) ... like a Horse and a Donkey who's offspring is a sterile mule ... with the term "mule" often used to describe other sterile hybrids of either animal or plant type, though hybrids can be equally or more robust in some instances.

Finally, hybridization/interbreeding is genetic recombination, blending and adding additional DNA information. This holds no similarity to genetic mutation, which is a subtraction or damage to DNA information that has NEVER been proven evolutionary.
Let me ask something real quick:

Are you saying that speciation has never been observed, or that speciation =/= mutation/natural selection?

If the former, Here's a number of observed cases of speciation

If the latter, well, mutation/natural selection are parts of evolution, just as cells are part of the whole that make us.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:31 PM

15,172 posts, read 8,721,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but... DNA sequence analysis has completely sealed the proof that 'we came from monkeys' like Darwin surmised years ago. We are nothing but an ape mutation only few codons away from the ape. Larger brain and thumbs gave us advantage in the environment. 1000* years later..., who knows. Something else may be more adapted.

* and 1000 years is *nothing* in evolution terms, one of the postulates of evolutition is vast amount of time for an adaptation to take place
Don't feel bad .... as you are far from the only evolution expert that doesn't realize monkeys HAVE THUMBS TOO .... As for the larger brain .... well, size does matter in some areas, but brains ... well that's debatable.

I swear to God, though I don't believe in evolution ... I can see how undue credence to the monkey/human connection might be considered reasonable in some cases.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:32 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,125,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
"In general, an average of 85% of genetic variation exists within local populations, ~7% is between local populations within the same continent, and ~8% of variation occurs between large groups living on different continents."
"In general." Yes.

But Africans have greater genetic variability than non-Africans... an artifact of their longer existence as a resident population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz
Though 99.9% of the human genome is shared with all other humans. But about 99.5% is shared with Neanderthals, about 95-98% is shared with Chimpanzees, and 60% of shared with a mouse.
This is actually apples and oranges, as should have been obvious to any critical reader since these numbers do not reconcile with the genetic variation percentages you quoted one paragraph above.

Quote:
But, people of any particular "race" are FAR more alike each other than they are to members of another "race". And because of their significant similarities it is very easy to put them together as basically a single group. And it irritates me that people will pretend that race doesn't matter, when practically every study that comes out these days about genetics, talks about the reality of genetic differences from one human group to the next.
I cannot be the slightest concerned with what irritates you. I can only point out that you appear to want to reject the deep objective genetic evidence and replace it with superficial similarities based on ambiguous and subjective standards like "more alike."

Quote:
That is both true and false. The truth is, 85% of all human diversity exists between every single population group. That means 85% of the diversity in the English exists in the Bushmen of South Africa. About 7% of human diversity exists between basically what amounts to "the same race". And the remaining 8% is completely non-existant between one race to the next.
Not sure where you got your numbers... but you've bollixed that up pretty badly. Different human groups have different levels of genetic diversity.

The greatest human genetic diversity exists within African populations, and genetic diversity decreases within native populations in a strong correlation with distance from Africa. This is because genetic bottlenecks during migration resulted in a loss of the original African diversity.

Therefore... while (using your example) 85% of Bushman diversity might exist in the English, almost 100% of English diversity would exist in the Bushmen.

Quote:
Basically it means, if you killed off all human races except Bushmen, around 15% of all human diversity would be lost. If you killed off everyone but Africans, then 8% of human diversity would be lost.
Wrong again, Ranger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies