Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
There isn't a public rail or bus transit system anywhere that pays for itself. All of them are subsidized by tax payers or vehicle owners. So how will taking more money out of the pockets of tax payers and vehicle owners improve our economy?
Who do you think pays for roads and airports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Who do you think pays for roads and airports?
Using subsidies to justify more subsidies, thus the hazard.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:46 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Using subsidies to justify more subsidies, thus the hazard.
All transportation infrastructure is paid for by the taxpayer in one form or another. So, in an integrated transportation system you are looking for the best bang for the buck. In much of the country that will be building new roads. But there are areas, and the NE corridor is a great example, where upgrading rail infrastructure makes better economic sense than trying to upgrade the road network.

This is not an idealogical perspective, it is an economic one.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Screw that... put extra lanes on the interstates. It in an infrastructure that is already in place. Then duplicate the speed limits as per the German autobahn...i.e. none
Contrary to popular belief, the passenger rate does not proportionally scale upward with speed. Part of the reason is that the safety gap increases with higher speed.

Light rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"...roads have a ...maximum observed capacity of about 2,400 passengers per hour per lane. Simple arithmetic shows that in order to carry 20,000 automobile commuters per hour per direction, a freeway must be at least 18 lanes wide. By contrast, light rail vehicles can travel in multi-car trains carrying a theoretical ridership up to 20,000 passengers per hour in much narrower rights-of-way, not much more than two car lanes wide for a double track system. "

A four track system like NYC subway has the theoretical capacity to replace 36 lanes of superhighway.

Expanding superhighways is NOT the solution - except for those who work for the highway construction and maintenance industry.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
All transportation infrastructure is paid for by the taxpayer in one form or another. So, in an integrated transportation system you are looking for the best bang for the buck. In much of the country that will be building new roads. But there are areas, and the NE corridor is a great example, where upgrading rail infrastructure makes better economic sense than trying to upgrade the road network.

This is not an idealogical perspective, it is an economic one.
Central planning is a big fat hairy bureaucratic fail as most of us know.
Now if the taxpayers of the NE corridor states want to create their own boondoggle, who are we to say?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:06 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Central planning is a big fat hairy bureaucratic fail as most of us know.
Now if the taxpayers of the NE corridor states want to create their own boondoggle, who are we to say?
Alright , next time you want a new Bridge or New Highway don't ask us NE Corridor Tax payers to pay for it....

Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
LOL , well every state has a Rail plan....
Alaska tried to sell its one state-funded railroad on e-bay without success a few years ago. I have nothing against railroads. If your state wants one, get your state to pay for it. When you get me to pay for your railroad, then we have a problem.

Quote:
Feds Fund plans that will get the highest usage , thus the Eastern states or Northeastern.
Buy a car and start acting like a real American, instead of a EuroPEON parasite.

Quote:
The states are paying for most of those miles , but some of the larger and busier lines will be built by the Feds , our Economy is also driven by Rail...
No, your economy is based upon sucking the hard earned dollars out of westerner's pockets so you can fund your EuroPEON mode of transportation. That makes easterners nothing more than pathetic parasites who have absolutely no regard for the Supreme Law of the Land.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Alaska tried to sell its one state-funded railroad on e-bay without success a few years ago. I have nothing against railroads. If your state wants one, get your state to pay for it. When you get me to pay for your railroad, then we have a problem.

Buy a car and start acting like a real American, instead of a EuroPEON parasite.

No, your economy is based upon sucking the hard earned dollars out of westerner's pockets so you can fund your EuroPEON mode of transportation. That makes easterners nothing more than pathetic parasites who have absolutely no regard for the Supreme Law of the Land.
Well your state is different , down here its very congested....and my generation isn't really buying cars.. There expensive and unnecessary... Your state is heavily subsidized by this country , i think its fair us Easterns ask you guys to pay for your own stuff... The Northeastern Economy accounts for 60% of the Nations GDP..... And has a low unemployment rate unlike Alaska....I'm American as Apple Pie or A skyscraper.....you state is less American then any state in my region..

Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
I'm for taking it easy and relaxing with the rail system...

Now if they'd only bring back the Big Boy

Screw light rail, not exciting........ I want to feel the ground shake, smell the steam and oil, listen to the sounds.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:50 AM

^ Light Rail is for Urban / Suburban areas..... I would love to see some steam on some regional Rail routes...

We need more of this across the Northeast....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF0SUp2YdNg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz6DoIiOo6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xovk276oUS8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies