Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 04:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Uh...

Okay, build a rail. That creates jobs. When the rail is done, so are the jobs.
The real problem here is that most people out of work really don't want to work outside and especially on building roads or rail roadbeds. Somehow many people just can't understand that. Also, the work is very little hand word anymore like it once was. Drive by any road construction project today and see who is leaning on the shovels. Why, illegal immigrants, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
^ Genius!
I see that you have the answer for the next jobs for those people once their job is completed. Why don't you share it with us?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yeah, and in the meantime, you and me will not have gotten richer. America can only get richer off of selling things to other countries that others want. We can temporarily employ people, but we're doing so through taxation on those who are already working.

I love how jump-starting the economy means getting consumerism up again (which will largely be based on credit).

I'm a big advocate of public transportation, but we do not need to spend more....I agree with someone else who said to remove the subsidies off of oil and reallocate those funds to projects like these.
I don't disagree with you until you get to the part about taking all those subsidies from oil. Have you found out what we will be using to power our nation once we have no oil any longer? It won't be the replaceable things that we hear about all the time.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Freight rail traffic is considerably lower cost than trucking. Yet railroads are hugely profitable because of capacity restraints and lack of competition allow them to charge a premium. Put in rail that connects these smaller regional railroads to one another. They would quickly become profitable and a third competitor would be introduced into the market. The rail industry is more about freight than it is passengers.
You are right, about improving rail travel but for some reason you don't seem to understand how far apart the north - south railroads are from each other. When the original rail system was built it was east-west that was needed because the rivers were north - south in direction. Oh yes, there were, and are, some north - south rail trafficways but few of them.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't disagree with you until you get to the part about taking all those subsidies from oil. Have you found out what we will be using to power our nation once we have no oil any longer? It won't be the replaceable things that we hear about all the time.
My point about the subsidies from oil come from the development patterns in this country. The cheaper it is for everyone to drive, the more this country is going to paint itself into an infrastructure nightmare (with more sprawl and more drivers on the roads). I realize that we use oil for other things in terms of manufacturing, public transit, etc.

Maybe a better idea would be to remove at least some of the subsidies off of consumer gasoline.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:39 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Gosh, I guess some conservatives think that people having to spend less on transportation, and therefore have more disposable income to spend on their local business, is a bad thing?
I'm all for it, it takes me 6 hours round trip to travel to large city in my state, I seldom do it because of that. I rely on the internet to buy certain items during the holidays, I'd love to go to the doctors in city or city malls but that would be a 2-3 day affair, with driving, shopping and a motel, someone in their teens, 20's, 30's can drive and do this with no problems, I cannot.

The cost of gas is just way out of line, there are plenty of rails here not used because of increase in autos past 40 years. The price of auto's and trucks unbelievable. I know some are paying plenty per month for new vehicles, how much is it? $500.00 or more per month, for how many years?

Rural people are stuck with low paying jobs in their hometowns and if you're lucky you work in one of the 2 or 3 mfg plants or for a hospital, and teaching, you are forced to move to another area for better paying jobs, the rail system would allow rural areas to go for jobs in large cities. Forget Greyhound, takes 3 hours or more, too many stops and really I don't care to ride with them, maybe Greyhound will do some investing with the rail system, I think Dial owned them at one time.

I think Ike put the interstates in motion, everyone now relys on them,was there complaining back then?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:43 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You are right, about improving rail travel but for some reason you don't seem to understand how far apart the north - south railroads are from each other. When the original rail system was built it was east-west that was needed because the rivers were north - south in direction. Oh yes, there were, and are, some north - south rail trafficways but few of them.
UP and BNSF can get you North and South from Kansas just fine Roy Jr. Their systems overlap just fine. As do CSX and Norfolk Southern's systems. The problem is this one set is only East of the Mississippi and one set is only West.

So if you are lucky you have two railroads to choose from and they only serve half the USA.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:48 PM

[quote=brien51;17783923]
The US will never gain any ground until the corruption in the US government is eliminated and the people crack down on the crooked politicians and the endless game they play to keep each other in power.[/quote]

I certainly agree with that , too much paper pushing even at the township levels up to the justice dept, especially if you have a complaint , you are sent a letter that it doesn't really pertain to that section of govt they keep passing it along, instead of actually calling the person and spending hundreds of dollars in postage and time.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
High speed rail will just like all rail endup a tax burden. Rail only really pays for transporting cargo really and only certin cargoes at that. If people want high speed rail then it needs to be paid for like airlines by actaul chargig thsoe usig it. Besides I don't see where the moeny would come from even as proposed. China crdeit card is over the limit now.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Swell View Post
Of course there is a market for this. It's designed to appease everyone who sits in heavy traffic everyday. It's not intended for people that sit at home in front of a computer all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies