Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,108,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
No...It just goes to show everything the Govt has it's hands in FAILS !
Seems to work for Japanese auto makers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,724,609 times
^
That's a good point. The Japanese government gave major bailouts to keep its auto industry afloat through the economic crisis. They still produce quality products. So, the premise of this thread is wrong.

Fail. Sorry.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,108,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Bwhahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
Is right!

Let's evaluate a group of cars without regard to size of class of vehicle.

And the envelope please!

Beating out the Volt is the Smart ForTwo the road worth golf cart passing as an automobile! And shock and awe, one of the reason is that the weight of the car was one of the criteria! The only car that is the same size that beats the Volt is the Honda civic all the others are up to 70" smaller.

PS - to demonstrate even further how dishonest the op is, it is interesting that they didn't point out that GMs Cruze Eco was #8. Of course folks like BMW, Mercedes Benz, didn't even make the list.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,838,867 times
So it had the Cruze Eco which was number 8 and the Volt which was 12. Not too bad.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,966,738 times
Quote:
Privately owned companies > Government owned companies
The Volt predates the bailouts and Obama. But don't let facts get in the way of your Obama bashing.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,312,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The Volt predates the bailouts and Obama. But don't let facts get in the way of your Obama bashing.
Did I bash Obama?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Did I bash Obama?
You made a correlation between the Volt losing out in a "greenest" car contest (which, I'm sure is a passion of yours...) and the government loans to the auto industry made, in part, by Obama.

So, yes you did. Fortunately, your correlation has been proven false since the Volt was in development years before this crisis.

You should drive a Volt - it's quite an amazing car in terms of feeling and driving like a regular car, but without the gas and with extraordinary technological advancements. I don't think they plan to make a profit of this particular car, but the technology could be a real boon throughout their fleet.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:47 PM

1,179 posts, read 977,290 times
Quote:

Privately owned companies > Government owned companies

Nissan Leaf, Toyota Prius stomp Chevy Volt on green car list - Feb. 15, 2011
I love how you guys hem and haw over the government but were first in line to buy W's BS about Iraq back in the day. In fact anybody who disagreed with what the government was telling us (which we now know was totally false) you people labeled traitors. Yet today the government is bad and should not be trusted. I suppose the government is only bad when the president is black huh?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
I love how you guys hem and haw over the government but were first in line to buy W's BS about Iraq back in the day. In fact anybody who disagreed with what the government was telling us (which we now know was totally false) you people labeled traitors. Yet today the government is bad and should not be trusted. I suppose the government is only bad when the president is black huh?
I'm not sure it's a racial thing, but I do think that when the president is different ideologically / personally, it makes it easier to bash. It happened under Clinton (there was a run on ammo when he was elected because the fear-pundits of the day convinced their followers that he was going to take their guns away). Clinton, though, kept his southern charms and sensibilities, which made him harder to nail.

Right now, it's a free-for-all from the far right because Obama can be so easily cast as someone completely different. Sure skin color is a factor, but it's more that he's a Democrat, our first urban president (and I don't mean the euphemistically - I mean he's a city guy), a sophisticated / yuppie type who eats organic food. It's just a pile of bullseyes that mark him as "different" and gives this crowd the sense that the gloves can come off.

Now, the flip side is the younger generation relates to someone with Obama's qualities far more than the far right, so history will ultimately be on his side.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,011,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
That's just a lie. It was repaid from an escrow account of money GM got from selling GM shares to the government. If I sell the government a computer and then use the money I make to pay off my credit card then I haven't borrowed money and instead I sold an asset. Please, for the love of God, get your basic facts straight.
Yes, please do. They paid it back with borrowed money.

GM to Repay Government Loans Early, Cites Profit Progress | Online NewsHour | Nov. 16, 2009 | PBS

Quote:
GWEN IFILL: So, basically, GM used taxpayer money to pay back taxpayer money; is that right?

DAVID SHEPARDSON: I mean, in a nutshell.
http://reason.com/archives/2010/04/2...ailout-payback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies