Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The term "Hispanic" encompasses people of all races - including "Negroes" and Indians (from India). Furthermore, it is not an old, established term, and it is very much artificial, being nothing more than an American government bureaucratic creation.

Who the hell cares? That's irrelevant to this discussion. I use the term negro (in English, Spanish and Portuguese) all the time, but the N-word is off limits.

What the hell is a brownie? You are from India, right? I know Indians a whole lot more black than any African I know, including myself, and I know people, such as myself, who are the many shades of brown, just like Indians. Do you not understand how idiotic you sound?
Not as much as you, Luc

I never considered myself brownie. The white folks here continually referred to me as brownie in their discussions, to which, unlike the colour sensitive "African American" people, I didn't care to take offence to.

But technically, even if Indians were darker than the blacks, they are generally not referred to as "blacks". You know the anthropological classifications, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Not as much as you, Luc
I don't think so, little man.

Quote:
I never considered myself brownie. The white folks here continually referred to me as brownie in their discussions, to which, unlike the colour sensitive "African American" people, I didn't care to take offence to.
Good for you. Irrelevant to the discussion.

Quote:
But technically, even if Indians were darker than the blacks, they are generally not referred to as "blacks". You know the anthropological classifications, don't you?
Yes......but do you know anything about anthropology?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
It's annoying but humorous. It's like if white Anglo people started to call each other wet-back. lol!

We can blame the wanna-be Eminem culture for the pervasive use of the N word.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
What exactly do you mean? You are going to shoot someone over a word? I just cant' possibly see what else it could mean.
Naw he'd like arrest the jerk and then lock them in a room with Janet Reno, Hitlery, and Ms Pelosi, which is far worse than shooting...

Old 02-18-2011, 07:31 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Serious question here. If the term is no longer acceptable in modern day America, why does the UNCF still use the word in their title?
Because the term was obviously the term du jour when that organization was founded. I can understand that.

I'm just talking about in casual conversation. Most people know and understand that the term is outdated.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
What exactly do you mean? You are going to shoot someone over a word? I just cant' possibly see what else it could mean.
The gun that i do happen to own hasn't been out of it's case since the day i bought it. I don't even know if it works anymore. So obviously, i don't carry it....which means that it's pretty unlikely that i'd shoot someone over an insult.

But something would be done. And that's all i prefer to say about it.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:44 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
*SIGH*

Most blacks don't use the term either....don't forget to mention that. It's used primarily by a subset of black folks...mostly young people. The only time i use the term is around other black folks and they understand the role it plays in casual intra-black conversations. I don't use it around white folks because i don't want them to get the idea that they can toss it around casually....not because i don't feel they don't have the right to say it. It's a free country. No word is verboten as far as i'm concerned. I don't see it as a big deal, but there are other blacks that i know that aint having it, and i wouldn't want a white person to say it around them.

It's odd that you say that you're black, but these guys were using the 'n' word around you like it was nothing, huh? That's very odd.

In any case, the swastika and the 'n' word are two different things. I don't see them as analogous. Now if you were to say that you saw a black person carrying a Confederate Flag, that would be analogous to a Jew wearing a swastika.
I am one of those persons. If you say it around me and you are not black....I am going to call you out. Its going to be either yo azz or mine. These young folks need to educate their white friends. In some countries you drive on the right side of the road and other countries you drive on the left.....but you cannot have it both ways. Many black folks drive on the right side when it comes to who can use the N word and these young blacks are conditioning young whites to drive on the left......which means that when they are on the same road at the same time with a brother like me......there is going to be a collision unless they slam on their brakes. So any of you young white guys who think its cool to say it.......you best be aware. Its really a word thats too complicated to be played around with by whites. That is just how it is. History is what it is. If you want to use the word....then how about sharing the history of enslavement, denigration, oppression and the like? There is NO DOUBLE STANDARD. A double standard is when an apple is treated different than another apple. A double standard is not when an apple is treated different than an orange. In other words, how can their be a double standard when you don't share our history? Whatever we do, no matter how f'cked up it is, is deeply rooted in a history of oppression....which you don't share in degree and or kind. You want to do what we do without feeling the pain that we felt......just to be cool. Well.....I aint the one.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-18-2011 at 07:54 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Like or not the word lives on in rap songs. Think about it, rappers are getting paid to say the "n" word, as well as calling women the name "*****." Kids listen to the words and sing along with them. The irony is they are removing the word from classic Mark Twain books but keeping in rap music. Sounds like the black people are the cause of the problem.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Like or not the word lives on in rap songs. Think about it, rappers are getting paid to say the "n" word, as well as calling women the name "*****." Kids listen to the words and sing along with them. The irony is they are removing the word from classic Mark Twain books but keeping in rap music. Sounds like the black people are the cause of the problem.
This is not rocket science. The cause of the "problem" is rooted in racial oppression and one race claiming superiority and attempting to denigrate another race of people....then wanting to pretend as if actions don't manifest reactions and ignoring causes and effects, ignoring/disrespecting history and sensitivities and wanting to pretend as if there is a double standard (like you shared the same history) and that nothing in history happened which should warrant the respect of whites to simply not use the term, notwithstanding its usage by blacks. .

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-18-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 11:49 AM

13 posts, read 11,244 times
I hate the N word, especially when blacks use it themselves. That word was used to dehumanize them, I wish they would stop and use another word for God's Sake. Out of all the words that could describe a person, they pick that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies