Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view of unions?
I approve of all of them, public and private. 106 43.80%
I approve of public sector unions only. 4 1.65%
I approve of private sector unions only. 49 20.25%
I do not approve of any unions. 71 29.34%
Other, please explain. 12 4.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:30 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But still, not everyone can be a teacher, right? Its a specialized field.

You can teach 90% of the people on the planet how to do assembly line work. Teaching is a different animal all together
Not really. Any ol' Joe with a degree can be a teacher. You don't even have to take the certification classes before you start, they have a temporary certification that lasts one or two years, can't remember which.

Yes, teaching is a different animal, b/c you have to have the personality for it, unlike working on an assembly line where no personality whatsoever is necessary. That is not a learned trait, that is inborn, you either have it or you don't. That's like saying you can teach someone how to be a good journalist...well, probably not, if they're naturally introverted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 12:31 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
How low are you talking? I don't think starting salary of around $30k is low. That's not including bennies, either.
For someone with a college degree?
That's VERY low (right down by the bottom).

Best Undergrad College Degrees By Salary

http://teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state

Ken

Old 02-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
WRONG!

Article 23 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (which the US SIGNED) identifies the ability to organize trade unions as a fundamental human right.

The National Labor Relations Act covers workers RIGHT to collective bargaining.

Get educated lady. It sounds like the reason you have such a low opinion of teachers is because you skipped school so much. You know something? It shows.

Ken
You are WAY out of line here. I have a bachelor's degree and went to college on a 100% scholarship BECAUSE I was a good student. I was one of the only people in my school who didn't skip all the time. You don't know me so you really do not need to try to attack me personally b/c it makes you look like a fool and an a-hole. Any future attacks will be reported. And I do not have a low opinion of teachers, quit putting words in my mouth. That makes YOUR idiocy show.

Btw, no, the fundamental right to unionize is not one given in the U.S. Constitution, which is where we get our rights from.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:35 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
My husband was UAW and I can remember at least three times in 30 years when he would have been jobless had it not been for the union standing up for him.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
So again, if THOSE teachers don't want to join a union they can:

A) Move somewhere else
B) Do something different
C) Get a job at a private (non-union) school.

They HAVE choices.

Ken
I'm not going to go over this again. It is unconstitutional to force someone to buy something they don't want, nor is it ethical to make a conservative like myself pay into something that goes directly to support liberal ideals.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Blah, we do not need to go over pay YET AGAIN, nor do I need to explain how those sites are simply aggregators that may or may not be based on actual statistics.

After I got my bachelor's, the STATE job I applied for (Child Protective Investigator) started at $27k plus bennies. That is pretty average pay for someone without a degree in something like engineering or biology.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
How low are you talking? I don't think starting salary of around $30k is low. That's not including bennies, either.
30k a year is laughable at any level unless you're living in Bumf#*k, Mississippi or something. Most college grads have loans to repay. It aint gonna be easy on 30k even as a starting salary. Even with good bennies, it's still a joke.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
My husband was UAW and I can remember at least three times in 30 years when he would have been jobless had it not been for the union standing up for him.
Maybe he should have been jobless then. I don't know the circumstances but if an employer needs to fire someone who is not performing their job properly, or if they don't have the funds to keep someone on the payroll, the person needs to go. Unions prevent the normal business cycle from occurring.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:40 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,372 times
Quote:
You are WAY out of line here. I have a bachelor's degree and went to college on a 100% scholarship BECAUSE I was a good student. I was one of the only people in my school who didn't skip all the time. You don't know me so you really do not need to try to attack me personally b/c it makes you look like a fool and an a-hole. Any future attacks will be reported. And I do not have a low opinion of teachers, quit putting words in my mouth. That makes YOUR idiocy show.

Btw, no, the fundamental right to unionize is not one given in the U.S. Constitution, which is where we get our rights from.
Maybe people here don't know you personally, however, your attitudes and opinions as expressed in your posts certainly gives everyone at least a view of how you think.

Now where do we "get our rights from"?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:40 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:

Oh give me a break.
We get our rights from MORE than just the Consititution. Nothing in the Constitution about the right to drive - and you CAN. The big picture is covered by the Consitution, the details are covered by the mulitide of OTHER laws in place.

You may have gone to college but you sure didn't seem to learn much since you didn't even KNOW about the RIGHT to collective bargaining.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies