Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 02:22 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
How many college students vote absentee? How many people in general vote absentee? Above all else, that is what this is about. A way to reduce college aged turnout because they know fewer college students are going to vote if they are forced to vote absentee compared to if they could vote on campus.
I would hope that most college students who attend college more than a reasonable distance away from their polling place do indeed vote absentee.

Worked for me. I attended college in New York, but came from DC. I arranged for an absentee ballot and I voted. What is the problem? Really, I would like to know.

I did not whine about it or spin conspiracy theories about my participation being reduced.

Voting is your right. With rights come responsibilities. Stop debating on the computer, get off your tail, and vote. There is no excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 02:22 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
How many college students vote absentee? How many people in general vote absentee? Above all else, that is what this is about. A way to reduce college aged turnout because they know fewer college students are going to vote if they are forced to vote absentee compared to if they could vote on campus.
SO this is about it being inconvenient for some people?

Don't you care about the possibility of voter fraud?

I would think that would be of utmost importance to everyone,the idea your vote no longer counts due to illegal voting by others...

Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 PM

334 posts, read 188,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Nice....
Hey well I've been in the army. (because I ran out of options)

Most folks in military service are simply not role models. They're not deserving of unconditional respect. .......and they're certainly not heroes.

Some are, that's true. Just like with cops and firemen. Some chase bad guys and rush into burning buildings, others don't. I'm sure even a WalMart employee has done CPR for someone though. It doesn't mean I'm going to hold all WalMart employees above everyone else.

End of rant. College students are no more or less important than military personnel when it comes to their rights as citizens. If we're going to take their right to vote with an absentee ballot, then we should do the same to the military. The reason why I used that example is the military generally leans right, and the right is asking for it. More than likely, as some have said, because college kids typically lean left.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why not in the state where they are likely to be for 4 years or more, and policies that will affect them?
The goal is specifically to disenfranchise college voters who typically don't vote Republican.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
They should be able to vote in only one state. If I were affected, I would prefer to vote in a state where the policies affect me under the new government.
But they pay taxes in both states,the government of BOTH states will affect them.

Seems unfair to deny them.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
So what if they split the time equally between two states,should their right to vote in one of those states be lost?
Your right to vote isn't lost. Your ability to vote is restricted by law to one jurisdiction per election. Each state has different residency requirements, they are not uniform, however, every state requires you to determine where your primary residence is, and to vote accordingly.

I know someone who is semi-retired. Semi-retired because he owns a company, and though he has retired to another state, he still spends about six months of the year working at his company, dealing with IRS audits, negotiating insurance, reviewing what's happened in his absence. He is registered to vote in the state he hopes to retire to, but he has homes in two different states. His right to vote in his workplace state has not been taken away. He could decide that the workplace state is his primary residence. He could reasonably choose to vote in either state, but he could not reasonably choose to vote in both states for the same election. That would be illegal. That's voter fraud.

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Asking people to vote where they reside isnt voter supression.. Who's being told they cant vote?
Nothing in your link indicates that people arent being asked to vote where they reside.. Perhapse you are confused on the meaning of "reside".. To me its WHERE THEY PAY TAXES.. its not where you sleep at night..

Nothing in the link or the quotes you posted would stop people from voting.. it would just stop people from voting where they dont file taxes at.. I have absolutely no problem with that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And where do college students who are abroad vote? Go ahead.. tell me they vote where they are from..

so why is this any different?
You have a point,if students abroad vote in their home state elections,why should it be different for students studying in a state other than their home state???

Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
In one of those states, yes. They obviously shouldn't be allowed to vote in both, but they get to choose the state they want to register to vote in.
But then should be off the voting rolls in the other state right?
In other words,one or the other with no chance of voting in both.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
SO this is about it being inconvenient for some people?

Don't you care about the possibility of voter fraud?

I would think that would be of utmost importance to everyone,the idea your vote no longer counts due to illegal voting by others...
This isn't about voter fraud. This is about people not liking the way college kids vote and not wanting college voters to be able to vote on campus because they don't like their views or how they vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies