Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:30 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And again, Democrats BLOCKED any meaningful regulations from taking place. Didnt I just educate you on this the other day?
No, we discussed ONE issue: the brewing housing crises.
STOPPING some legislation is NOT the same thing as CONTROLLING CONGRESS - AT BEST the argument can be made that NO ONE controlled Congress (which is NOT the argument Actionbell is making).

Try to keep up.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
107th 2001–2003 100 50 50 — — 435 212 221 2 —
OK, point taken (sort of) - for the 2001 CONGRESS - NOT (as you mentioned) the 2003 Congress.

So, for 2 of those 8 years the Democrats had a 50/50 split in the Senate - however in the case of a tie the VP (ie Cheney) is the tiebreaker. Hence, even with a 50/50 split the GOP controlled the Senate. For another 2 they had control. Meanwhile for the OTHER 4 the GOP had control.

For the HOUSE, the GOP had full control for 6 of the 8 years.

Ken

Old 04-06-2011, 11:37 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
OK, point taken (sort of) - for the 2001 CONGRESS - NOT (as you mentioned) the 2003 Congress.

So, for 2 of those 8 years the Democrats had a 50/50 split in the Senate - however in the case of a tie the VP (ie Cheney) is the tiebreaker. Hence, even with a 50/50 split the GOP controlled the Senate. For another 2 they had control. Meanwhile for the OTHER 4 the GOP had control.

For the HOUSE, the GOP had full control for 6 of the 8 years.

Ken
you are funny...i mean that in a good way...

Old 04-06-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
you are funny...i mean that in a good way...
Glad I can entertain you.

Ken

Old 04-06-2011, 11:56 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Default It exposes the Regressives as mere obstructionists

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I was just curious if people could provide opinions or facts to this matter. Thanks.
I believe that it is yet another example of the enormous problems created by the existence of the GOP. They obstruct but contribute nothing positive except for the privileged few whose interests they strive to protect. A shutdown illustrates this in clear fashion.

Republicans know nothing about balancing a budget because they haven't done so during any time that I can remember. Who was the last Republican president after the Republicans were created from the old segregationalist Dixiecrats, who balanced a budget? Not one.

Republicans know nothing about running an economy as the village idiot so clearly showed. A shutdown indicates that the government cannot run efficiently to do what is best to dig this country out of the Bush/Republican hole WHILE REPUBLICANS ARE INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS.

Pretty simple. A shutdown benefits Dems and president Obama.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
No, we discussed ONE issue: the brewing housing crises.
Action responded to

In the latest move to try to hurt this president, the Republicans are doing something that they DID NOT DO during 8 years under Republican George Bush

If congress has stopped Fannie and Freddie, Congress wouldnt have needed to spend $200B to bail them out, nor the hundreds of billions in stimulus, or the hundreds of billions in TARP funds.. That is indeed spending..
Quote:
STOPPING some legislation is NOT the same thing as CONTROLLING CONGRESS
You mean all this time the Democrats were blaming the GOP for stopping legislation, (that they never stopped), you are now admitting it was really Democrats controlling the economy and to blame for the crash?
Quote:
AT BEST the argument can be made that NO ONE controlled Congress (which is NOT the argument Actionbell is making).
Action said it was a 50/50 Congress, which sounds to me like no one is in control..

Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times
Quote:
Glad I can entertain you.

Ken
I chuckled at the vp tie breaker...

Here's an old article from 2006. I've scanned through it and found it interesting...

Democrats win control of Senate - Politics - msnbc.com

"WASHINGTON — Democrats wrested control of the Senate from Republicans Wednesday with an upset victory in Virginia, giving the party complete domination of Capitol Hill for the first time since 1994, as NBC News reported that Democrat Jim Webb was the apparent winner.

<sniped>

Bush faced the reality of at least half of Congress in the opposition’s hands for the final two years of his presidency.
"

How does this measure up to that chart from infoplease.com?

My ex husband was telling me today that congress and the president will still draw their pay checks....regardless of any fed closings.

I don't know what they are all trying to prove, but I guess I'll find out at the end of the wash cycle how it all comes out.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:04 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
1) How was the 1990s shutdown "disastrous" for the Republicans? They still maintained control of Congress after 1996 and 1998 and then won the Presidency in 2000.
The shut down was in 1995, the GOP lost the Presidential election the following year.

Read it and weep.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Action said it was a 50/50 Congress, which sounds to me like no one is in control..
That's RIGHT.
Too bad Action said the DEMS were in control.

Ken

Old 04-07-2011, 12:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
That's RIGHT.
Too bad Action said the DEMS were in control.

Ken
I didnt say Dems were in control, in fact I supported your claim that no one was
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The shut down was in 1995, the GOP lost the Presidential election the following year.

Read it and weep.
So the GOP shut down the government in 1995 and lost the election as a result, and now Democrats are shutting down the government......

I like where this is leading..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies