Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:10 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I chuckled at the vp tie breaker...

Here's an old article from 2006. I've scanned through it and found it interesting...

Democrats win control of Senate - Politics - msnbc.com

"WASHINGTON — Democrats wrested control of the Senate from Republicans Wednesday with an upset victory in Virginia, giving the party complete domination of Capitol Hill for the first time since 1994, as NBC News reported that Democrat Jim Webb was the apparent winner.

<sniped>

Bush faced the reality of at least half of Congress in the opposition’s hands for the final two years of his presidency.
"

How does this measure up to that chart from infoplease.com?

My ex husband was telling me today that congress and the president will still draw their pay checks....regardless of any fed closings.

I don't know what they are all trying to prove, but I guess I'll find out at the end of the wash cycle how it all comes out.
No idea what the point of this post is.
What are you trying to say?

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I didnt say Dems were in control, in fact I supported your claim that no one was
I didn't say that YOU said the Dems were in control.
I said that ACTION said that.
I don't know how I could make that more CLEAR.

THIS was the post I was REFERRING to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Who was the majority that made up congress while Bush was in office?-- Dems. Who cast the vote for the war and gave their go ahead....?

Who really ran this country, while Bush was in office?---Dems.

How many years has the dems really had control?---well that's too long.
If you can't follow the conversation, maybe you should not butt in.

Ken

Old 04-07-2011, 12:22 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That's RIGHT.
Too bad Action said the DEMS were in control.

Ken
Actonbell, there is no 'i' in it. The name is a persona for an author in British Literature.

I reconciled this a few years ago concerning congress and Bush. I don't know how I did it, but...I found the info on it, that the dems were the controlling votes for the time the Iraq equation came up. Shoot I was one that thought that Bush went into that situation declaring war on his own...with out congressional approval. (5 presidents have) Come to find out, he had their approval. Could be a switch a roe was done too...never know with these people what will happen or not happen next.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,290,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
In the latest move to try to hurt this president, the Republicans are doing something that they DID NOT DO during 8 years under Republican George Bush: insist on slashing SPENDING. Bush of course was on a warmongering spending spree, dumping ungodly amounts of money to fight two wars, and lose to militarily inferior opponents. Bush engaged in an ideological war and spent mightily while Republicans sat around silently chasing their tails.

Now with their sudden concern for the deficit and the spending that this president must do to resuscitate the country from the Dubya Dark Ages, they threaten to shut down the Federal government. This had a disastrous effect on Gingrich when he was Speaker and you can bet that it will have a similar effect on this imbecile Speaker we have now in the House. Shame on you hapless Pubs for showing your arses like this. Benefit to Dems.

"Ideological purity does NOT solve problems" - President Obama

So you were ok with the non-budget of the dimwits and obama that caused the debt to increase more in the last 2 years under the dimwit parties control than all of the entire history of our Nation?
The GAO says the plan obama put out for a budget would completely make the dollar worthless BEFORE 2030!!! And they went on to say that if enacted at all, the effects will make the depression of fdr look like everyone was rich during the fdr depression!
Lets see, 2 years of oduma, and the left still refuses to accept the blame for their screwing of the American public.
I bet you think it's ok that george soros funds idiot groups like moveon.org too, nevermind the fact the pos is undermining our economy for his pocketling and revenge for the US beating germany in wwII. If you think it's ok the groups he funds, then you really should look into his real goals. SAME WAY WITH THE POS STINKING UP THE WHITEHOUSE AND THE DIWITS IN THE SENATE, they honestly should be hung for their actions against the USA.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:58 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
In the latest move to try to hurt this president, the Republicans are doing something that they DID NOT DO during 8 years under Republican George Bush: insist on slashing SPENDING. Bush of course was on a warmongering spending spree, dumping ungodly amounts of money to fight two wars, and lose to militarily inferior opponents. Bush engaged in an ideological war and spent mightily while Republicans sat around silently chasing their tails.

Now with their sudden concern for the deficit and the spending that this president must do to resuscitate the country from the Dubya Dark Ages, they threaten to shut down the Federal government. This had a disastrous effect on Gingrich when he was Speaker and you can bet that it will have a similar effect on this imbecile Speaker we have now in the House. Shame on you hapless Pubs for showing your arses like this. Benefit to Dems.

"Ideological purity does NOT solve problems" - President Obama

You be sure to let us all know when Obama solves his first problem, OK?

You must think we're all Alzheimer patients incapable of remembering how BO proposed the largest increase in government spending in the history of the world and the Democrat Congress cheered.

I guess you think we also forgot BO has involved us in another nation's civil war without Congressional authorization. Instead of ending two wars, as promised, he has actually started a third war with a nation that posed no immediate threat to Americans or American interests, yet you call Bush a war monger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chart.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	78129

I'll take one of those half trillion dollar Bush/Republican Congress defects over a BO/Democrat Congress 1.65 trillion dollar deficit any day.

Most Americans feel the same way (58%) and would rather have a partial shut-down of the federal government than continue the deficit spending begun under Pelosi and Reed.

Poll: 58 percent of Americans favor government shutdown &mdash; RT

Finger point all you like, but when you and your party are responsible for quadrupling the deficit with nothing to show for it, the voters are going to throw your butts out.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:23 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,320,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I see it as just the opposite. When pelosi ran the House she pushed through things she wanted, as she should. However She did not do her job and get a budget passed.
What are you talking about? Passing a continuing resolution IS passing a budget. It's passing a budget which funds everything exactly the same as the previous year.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:37 AM

Momonkey, what a load of horse pucky. Do you even believe that nonsense or are you just having a laugh?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Countdown to Republican Shutdown - 2
It's going to be quite an education for the extremist tea party loons who think they can shut down the government but not get blamed for it. Voters will remember this as their fault just like they did back in the 90's.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:29 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,281,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I would hardly call Obama "gutsy". Remember this is the same Obama that follows U.N. orders to start another war in Libya and doesn't even consult Congress that is the only government body according to the Constitution that can declare war. This is the same Obama that has been nothing more than a puppet for the New World Order and corporate interests (like BP) that put him in office. Let's put things in perspective.

Any shutdown of Congress and the Obama administration could only BENEFIT the country as there would be less time available for Congress to do continue to do more damage than has already been done.

I think the fact that Obama is arrogant enough to run for re-election after his poor performance is a slap in the face to Americans if he thinks they would be DUMB enough to re-elect him. It just goes to show how CLUELESS the American electorate has become even if the election is close.
I don't believe I called him "gutsy" I asked if he was gutsy enough to stand up against the Republicans or would he cave like he did when they wanted to extend the Bush tax cuts in December.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:23 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
The republicans turn to show no leadership and bring the country and economy to a grinding halt because they can't even agree amongst themselves on a new budget. The government is going to shut down because Boehner can't get the votes. Too many individuals in the republican party.
The dems could have passed one LAST year when they were in complete control.

What are you talking about?

It's always shoot the messenger, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies