Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:34 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I sincerely hope the Dems use "blame Bush" as an excuse. It's soooooo 2009.

Doubt this will change? appears the Dems use this excuse 24/7 and by the way, by now, i figured they would come up with something new! But nahhhhhhhhhh still the boring old tired lame excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 PM

520 posts, read 1,006,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
A house divided cannot stand. Humanity is at a crossroads. Whether we survive and gain the stars or whether we languish and die in industrial pollution and nuclear fallout from wars ignited by petty ideological differences... hmmm no whether about it. Humanity has made its choice. We are doomed not to see the value in pulling together as a team. I mean... is there another species that differentiates itself emotionally from other members of their own species based on appearance?! I mean... really. Lets not play these games of whose job is more important than whose... we are all important. Even the welfare queens! I'm not religious but most of you are. You are taught to value the poor and needy yet at every turn you decry the 'burden'. Tell it to the rich who are as we speak making another 200,000 Americans redundant and thus in need of Christian charity. Humanity does not have much time.

H
Dang, dogg, I was feeling really good about myself until I read this...where's the KoolAid?

No, good points and I do agree with you, mostly. I will say, however, that there are plenty of species that differntiate themselves from one another off of appearance. I haven't seen too many Lions cuddled up with Cheetahs on national geographic. But, that's beside the point. We should be bigger than this and rise above our challenges, but unfortunately we do not. If you would check out some of the capitalism threads on city data, you'd understand my point. I think one of the things that "Americans" fail to understand is that a revolution is going to happen, here, as well just like those revolutions that are going on around the globe and just like the one that occured when "Americans" got tired of Britian's garbage. But, we are too much of a punk b!t@# to do so. Trinkets, video games, and the Internet have made us think that we've got it good and that those who fall by the wayside did so because they were too much of a loser to make it in good ol' "America".

Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It seems to me that some people forgot how we got into this mess in the first place, and to top it off the refuticans touted "budget cuts" and first thing that they did was get tax cuts for the rich (themselves). I guess the new refuticans never heard of Reaganomics, it did not work then, it did not work for bush II and it STILL does not work!
Are you talking about the VERY SAME tax cuts for the rich that Obama continued?

Is continuing a mess somehow better than creating it?

Gotta love partisan politics. No wonder nothing gets done. Your guy did it= bad. My guy does the excat same thing= no problem

Last edited by NSHL10; 04-06-2011 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Sorry you have alot to learn, noone ever gets all or nothing without paying a very steep price.
What are you talking about? The point I'm making is 60 billion dollars in cuts doesn't do anything.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:49 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
WHen the government shuts down, it really doesn't shut down completely. This is a SCARE tactic from politicans who think you NEED government as they have it designed, not how the COnstitution has designed it. Only those who aren't necessary to the government are instructed not to report to work. These are the people who should be on permanent shut down since they aren't absolutely needed and therefore their job is not absolutely needed as the government was designed by the US Constitution.
Bingo

The only people who are scared or worried about the government "shutting down" are people who are either dependent on the government for something or people who are fearful that the government might lose it's power over the small minded people who become dependent on it.

Shut her down for a month or 2, I don't really care. My life isn't dependent on the government, any inconvenience that I might have is well worth knowing that others might actually be learning a lesson.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:52 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
In the latest move to try to hurt this president, the Republicans are doing something that they DID NOT DO during 8 years under Republican George Bush: insist on slashing SPENDING. Bush of course was on a warmongering spending spree, dumping ungodly amounts of money to fight two wars, and lose to militarily inferior opponents. Bush engaged in an ideological war and spent mightily while Republicans sat around silently chasing their tails.

Now with their sudden concern for the deficit and the spending that this president must do to resuscitate the country from the Dubya Dark Ages, they threaten to shut down the Federal government. This had a disastrous effect on Gingrich when he was Speaker and you can bet that it will have a similar effect on this imbecile Speaker we have now in the House. Shame on you hapless Pubs for showing your arses like this. Benefit to Dems.

"Ideological purity does NOT solve problems" - President Obama
too bad liberals cant figure out just one thing

its the spending that's killing us

Old 04-06-2011, 12:55 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Quote:
Spoiler
In the latest move to try to hurt this president, the Republicans are doing something that they DID NOT DO during 8 years under Republican George Bush: insist on slashing SPENDING. Bush of course was on a warmongering spending spree, dumping ungodly amounts of money to fight two wars, and lose to militarily inferior opponents. Bush engaged in an ideological war and spent mightily while Republicans sat around silently chasing their tails.

Now with their sudden concern for the deficit and the spending that this president must do to resuscitate the country from the Dubya Dark Ages, they threaten to shut down the Federal government. This had a disastrous effect on Gingrich when he was Speaker and you can bet that it will have a similar effect on this imbecile Speaker we have now in the House. Shame on you hapless Pubs for showing your arses like this. Benefit to Dems.

"Elections have consequences" - President Obama

Old 04-06-2011, 12:55 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:

This is all going to backlash against the Liberals/Dems

Democrats Counting on Media in Fiscal Showdown

Old 04-06-2011, 01:08 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,281,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
What are you talking about? The point I'm making is 60 billion dollars in cuts doesn't do anything.

That is true $61 billion doesn't but the Republicans have known since February that number wasn't going to float, that was why I responded the way I did to your all or nothing post.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:50 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,171,323 times
Default Democrats Risk Government Shutdown

This is an opinion piece from a conservative european publication, sorry about that. Still, the information included in the article is absolutely correct (those pesky anal retentive europeans).............opinions, thoughts, hopes, fears, ideas?????

source
Quote:
Democrats Risk Government Shutdown
From the desk of Johnny Fincioen on Wed, 2011-04-06 14:51

When Democrats had the majority in Congress until the end of last year, they refused to vote a budget for the year starting October 2010 until the end of September 2011. This allowed Obama, as in the previous two years, to create a yearly deficit of over 1.5 trillion dollars. This red ink amounts to 40% of the budget! As a reference: the Belgian deficit in 2010 was 4.1%, which is more than the 3% allowed by European budget rules. The Bush budget for 2007, the last year the Republicans were in charge in Congress: the shortfall was 6%. The total Federal debt in the USA grew obscenely under Obama and his fellow Democrats running Congress, and will equal the value of GNP (Gross National Product) before the end of Obama’s first term.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies