Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,476,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
You certainly do, and if there is a Hell, you will reside there for quite some time, perhaps permanently.
You remind me of a certain priest at a Catholic church I no longer attend.

Funny how conservatives that claim to be nice are actually judgmental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Let me give it a try. An infant is not a person, if it was a person, it would be called a person, not an infant.

Boy, being a liberal is EASY!!!!
You can give humans a lot of names...

boy, girl, man, woman, teen, kid, baby, infant, senior citizen

but those are all synonyms for human

fetus is not a synonym for human

Old 03-14-2011, 08:53 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,030,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
You remind me of a certain priest at a Catholic church I no longer attend.

Funny how conservatives that claim to be nice are actually judgmental.

You can give humans a lot of names...

boy, girl, man, woman, teen, kid, baby, infant, senior citizen

but those are all synonyms for human

fetus is not a synonym for human
Fetus definition - Medical Dictionary definitions of popular medical terms easily defined on MedTerms

8 wks until birth = fetus, according to this definition.
So you would say that, the day before a full-term baby is born, it is not a human. Huh.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Fetus definition - Medical Dictionary definitions of popular medical terms easily defined on MedTerms

So you would say that, the day before a full-term baby is born, it is not a human. Huh.
Your rights don't apply until you have a birth certificate.

Fetuses don't contribute to the population count.

Fetuses are not people.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 PM

208 posts, read 416,328 times
Great question OP. I tend to think of it as more a philiosphical one than political.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If you believe a fetus is a person then you cannot morally support abortion.
If on the other hand you believe a fetus is not a person then yes you can support abortion and be a moral person.
Casper
I don't think a fetus a person. It's a fetus. An egg isn't a bird.

I don't support the taking of life. At the same time if someone burst thru my door and attacked me I have no compunction about taking their life, I think. (I would be traumatized.)

I think certain things are permissible under certain conditions but we aren't always the best judge of what those conditions are.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:57 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
Burdell responded to "Freedom of choice for whom?" with "Human beings capable of making a choice."

It follows that humans beings NOT capable of making a choice (such as the unborn, such as some disabled, such as some mentally disturbed) should not be offered said choice.

Not sure how this is difficult to understand. Unless you haven't covered deductive reasoning in your high school classes, yet.
Sorry, but deductive reasoning does NOT lead me to read into his post what you previously stated. Yes, if someone is not capable of making a choice, then that choice should not be offered to them. But, just because someone needs a caretaker to make most of their choices for them, does not mean "they should be killed", which is what you claimed before.

And, BTW, take a look at my profile before you presume to 'assist' me in logical thinking.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:57 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:

Why does it matter. Under the law you cannot abort a baby/fetus on demand the day before it would be considered full-term.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:04 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,030,452 times
Quote:

Fetuses don't contribute to the population count.

Fetuses are not people.
Wow.
And with that, I bow out.

You've just answered your own "am I moral?" question, and that's even taking into account what I kindly said before, about morality being subjective. Good luck to you.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
No.

Abortion is the taking of an innocent life which no one has the right to take.

I agree. You can't support the taking of life and be moral.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,676 times
Quote:
Note to self: Remember to fulfill my dream of wanting to kill a third world savage justifiably by finding some remote Pacific Island that doesn't make much of a concerted effort to formalize birth reporting records and kill some of the island savages who don't have a birth certificate, since they have no rights as human beings, lacking the correct piece of paper which was mentioned prior as a necessary requisite of rights.

Legal positivism, for the win. This is good news indeed.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 03-14-2011 at 09:37 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I agree. You can't support the taking of life and be moral.
Then do you think being pro-life automatically make someone moral?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies