Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,368,587 times

Advertisements

[quote=Annie53;18283545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Your claim that 1.2 million otherwise aborted children would be born is unrealistic since men, knowing they will absolutely, positively face child support payments for the next 18 years will wear that condom. Women, knowing they will absolutely, positively carry that unplanned child to term will take their BC pills, use a sponge, a patch, a foam and anything else they can find to keep from getting knocked up to include actually saying "no". The convenience of abortion on demand and for any reason green-lights irresponsible behavior by irresponsible people.

As for the kids in foster care, new born babies generally get adopted pretty quickly and nice families go on waiting lists for them. It's the older kids who end up in foster care because their parents abandon them, become addicted to drugs, go to prison, etc. No one wants these kids because they're seen as damaged goods.[/quote]

That would include pro-lifers I presume. Nice.....the pro-lifers only want to adopt the perfect little infants.....how telling. Very hypocritcal too, since they want to force women to give birth to "damaged" infants instead of aborting them.

Did you even read what I wrote?

Kids who end up in foster care are there because their parents died, went to prison, abandoned them, etc. Infants are generally adopted at birth from couples on waiting lists. And wait they do! Typically it takes two years to adopt a new-born.

Foster care has what to do with abortion of infants?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,144,499 times
Quote:
No.

Abortion is the taking of an innocent life which no one has the right to take.
So you're totally against war.

Are the presidents who start wars immoral?

Are soldiers who kill immoral?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Again, a fetus that doesn't even have a fully functional brain is not the same as a living, breathing, thinking person. Apples and oranges = FAIL.

How could anyone imagine what the choice of a fetus would be.....a fetus is not capable of thinking or choosing anything. How can YOU presume to know what a fetus is "thinking"?

I can think and I know how I would choose. I would not have wanted anyone to force my mother to carry me against her will. I would not want to be born of a mother who didn't even want me. And I also know if I was aborted, I wouldn't be boo-hooing about it......because at that point in time I didn't even have a brain capable of thought.
Quote:
Is a new-born baby capable of making such choices?

If the standard for personhood is presence of rational thought, some of us could be aborted well into our teen years.
Quote:
Living people have a fully functioning brain, when the brain no longer functions, you are "brain dead" and it is legal to pull the plug, isn't it?

Does a new-born have a fully functionung brain?

If so, what makes his or her brain different from that of a baby not yet born?

Is the brain of baby born two months premature more developed than that of a child at nine months gestation but not yet delivered?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
[quote=momonkey;18283647]
Quote:

Did you even read what I wrote?

Kids who end up in foster care are there because their parents died, went to prison, abandoned them, etc. Infants are generally adopted at birth from couples on waiting lists. And wait they do! Typically it takes two years to adopt a new-born.

Foster care has what to do with abortion of infants?
The fact that pro-lifers feel justified when they turn their backs on children who are not perfect little infants, points to the FACT that they do not care what happens to children after they are born. If they really cared about children, they would be willing to adopt ANY child that needed a home, regardless of the reason, wouldn't they?

In fact, I will bet there are pro-lifers out there that relish the thought of abortion being banned, so they will have easier pickings when it comes time to adopt that perfect little infant they all hold out for.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
The pre condom days illustrated the fallacy that men would be careful and women would abstain from sex, including rape, is pure fantasy. Neither happened back in the day nor will they in the future.

This issue has very little to do with taking human life for two reasons, One is the simple fact that the fetus may be closer to being human than either eggs or sperm but it is still not a human. The second is the fact that forced pregnancies and the babies’ produced is a basic method of controlling women. Controlling women is far more important than preventing abortion in the grand scheme of male domination. I believe many of the men that are vehemently against abortion would be supporters if they were forced to provide generous support for the woman and child involved. By generous I mean the same as if she were married to them. Maybe we should require legal marriage to support the women and children no matter how many were involved.

As far as the morality of killing humans is concerned abortion is a moot point because fetuses are potential, not actual humans, and people have justified killing other people for millennia. Religions are notorious for killing people for highly moral reasons. Race wars are another example.

I support the basic right of any free human being to control their own bodies no matter what the outcome. If a drunk decides to stay drunk or a dopo stoned that is their decision. If a woman decides to carry a fetus to term or abort it early that is her decision. It is not a proper function of the state to interfere in either case.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:13 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
Quote:
Does a new-born have a fully functionung brain?

If so, what makes his or her brain different from that of a baby not yet born?

Is the brain of baby born two months premature more developed than that of a child at nine months gestation but not yet delivered?
No one can abort a 7 month pregnancy just because they want to.....because at that stage it has a fully functioning brain that is capable of sustaining the life of the body.

Women who are permitted to abort at 7 months are women who WANT the baby. These are women that have to choose abortion because the fetus is hopelessly deformed or because continuing with the pregnancy will literally kill them.

It is not legal to abort a 7 month fetus just because you feel like it.....so why are you complaining?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So you're totally against war.

Are the presidents who start wars immoral?

Are soldiers who kill immoral?

Anyone who willingly takes up arms against the United States is not innocent.

Conscripts are another story and should be given every opportunity to surrender. Failing to do that, they become willing enemies of the United States.

Presidents don't start wars.

Here's a link...

U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute

Soldiers who join the military because they wish to protect the lives and freedom of Americans are not immoral.

Soldiers who join the military because they want to kill someone are immoral.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
No one can abort a 7 month pregnancy just because they want to.....because at that stage it has a fully functioning brain that is capable of sustaining the life of the body.

Women who are permitted to abort at 7 months are women who WANT the baby. These are women that have to choose abortion because the fetus is hopelessly deformed or because continuing with the pregnancy will literally kill them.

It is not legal to abort a 7 month fetus just because you feel like it.....so why are you complaining?

So, by your standards, at what point does his or her brain become fully functional?

What makes it fully functional one day but not the previous?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 AM

334 posts, read 188,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
When I ask this question, people never give me a clear answer.

Don't get the wrong idea and misinterpret what I'm saying/asking.

I'm not saying I'm moral because I support abortion. I'm saying I'm moral in other ways, and it just so happens I support abortion.

As far as I'm concerned, you can support abortion but still be moral if you're moral in other ways.

There are more factors than just abortion to determine your morality.
There is nothing immoral about abortion.

What's immoral is trying to force people to have children that they are incapable of caring for, whether it be financially or otherwise. THEN, at the same time, advocating to abolish welfare.

No method of birth control is 100% effective, and just because most anti-abortion folks are people that others wouldn't want to have sex with anyway, that doesn't give them the right to tell others they must be abstinent or face the consequences.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
I'm pro choice. Your decision, your money.
You don't have to answer to me in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies