Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 06:11 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Freedom of choice for anyone to choose how they're going to live their life as long as what they're doing is not illegal.

Murdering Jews, Gypsies and Communists in Nazi Germany was legal.

Stoning unfaithful wives and hanging homosexuals is legal in Iran.

Wouldn't the first choice of a healthy developing fetus be to not be killed as a matter of convenience?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Sorry, abortion is legal in this country which means we DO have the right to choose it.

So was slavery at one time.

Could you have been moral and owned another person?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:25 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Murdering Jews, Gypsies and Communists in Nazi Germany was legal.

Stoning unfaithful wives and hanging homosexuals is legal in Iran.

Wouldn't the first choice of a healthy developing fetus be to not be killed as a matter of convenience?
Again, a fetus that doesn't even have a fully functional brain is not the same as a living, breathing, thinking person. Apples and oranges = FAIL.

How could anyone imagine what the choice of a fetus would be.....a fetus is not capable of thinking or choosing anything. How can YOU presume to know what a fetus is "thinking"?

I can think and I know how I would choose. I would not have wanted anyone to force my mother to carry me against her will. I would not want to be born of a mother who didn't even want me. And I also know if I was aborted, I wouldn't be boo-hooing about it......because at that point in time I didn't even have a brain capable of thought.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:29 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
No.

Abortion is the taking of an innocent life which no one has the right to take.
So you're totally against war.

Are the presidents who start wars immoral?

Are soldiers who kill immoral?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
But we are not discussing those things.

The pro-life position is that instead of being aborted, these children would be adopted into loving homes. If we were to have 1.2 million unplanned children born each year, and we can't take care of the 100, 000 children already in the foster care system awaiting adoption, then what do you suppose will happen to them?

Your claim that 1.2 million otherwise aborted children would be born is unrealistic since men, knowing they will absolutely, positively face child support payments for the next 18 years will wear that condom. Women, knowing they will absolutely, positively carry that unplanned child to term will take their BC pills, use a sponge, a patch, a foam and anything else they can find to keep from getting knocked up to include actually saying "no". The convenience of abortion on demand and for any reason green-lights irresponsible behavior by irresponsible people.

As for the kids in foster care, new born babies generally get adopted pretty quickly and nice families go on waiting lists for them. It's the older kids who end up in foster care because their parents abandon them, become addicted to drugs, go to prison, etc. No one wants these kids because they're seen as damaged goods.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Again, a fetus that doesn't even have a fully functional brain is not the same as a living, breathing, thinking person. Apples and oranges = FAIL.

How could anyone imagine what the choice of a fetus would be.....a fetus is not capable of thinking or choosing anything. How can YOU presume to know what a fetus is "thinking"?

I can think and I know how I would choose. I would not have wanted anyone to force my mother to carry me against her will. I would not want to be born of a mother who didn't even want me. And I also know if I was aborted, I wouldn't be boo-hooing about it......because at that point in time I didn't even have a brain capable of thought.

Is a new-born baby capable of making such choices?

If the standard for personhood is presence of rational thought, some of us could be aborted well into our teen years.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:40 AM

[quote=momonkey;18283449]Your claim that 1.2 million otherwise aborted children would be born is unrealistic since men, knowing they will absolutely, positively face child support payments for the next 18 years will wear that condom. Women, knowing they will absolutely, positively carry that unplanned child to term will take their BC pills, use a sponge, a patch, a foam and anything else they can find to keep from getting knocked up to include actually saying "no". The convenience of abortion on demand and for any reason green-lights irresponsible behavior by irresponsible people.

As for the kids in foster care, new born babies generally get adopted pretty quickly and nice families go on waiting lists for them. It's the older kids who end up in foster care because their parents abandon them, become addicted to drugs, go to prison, etc. No one wants these kids because they're seen as damaged goods.[/quote]

That would include pro-lifers I presume. Nice.....the pro-lifers only want to adopt the perfect little infants.....how telling. Very hypocritcal too, since they want to force women to give birth to "damaged" infants instead of aborting them.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:45 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
[quote=Annie53;18283545]
Quote:
Your claim that 1.2 million otherwise aborted children would be born is unrealistic since men, knowing they will absolutely, positively face child support payments for the next 18 years will wear that condom. Women, knowing they will absolutely, positively carry that unplanned child to term will take their BC pills, use a sponge, a patch, a foam and anything else they can find to keep from getting knocked up to include actually saying "no". The convenience of abortion on demand and for any reason green-lights irresponsible behavior by irresponsible people.

As for the kids in foster care, new born babies generally get adopted pretty quickly and nice families go on waiting lists for them. It's the older kids who end up in foster care because their parents abandon them, become addicted to drugs, go to prison, etc. No one wants these kids because they're seen as damaged goods.[/quote]

That would include pro-lifers I presume. Nice.....the pro-lifers only want to adopt the perfect little infants.....how telling. Very hypocritcal too, since they want to force women to give birth to "damaged" infants instead of aborting them.
Notice how he excuses MEN from just saying "no" ??

He also lives in a dreamland of wishing for a perfect Utopia...human nature (which humans didn't create) will never change and saying it "should" is idiocy.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Is a new-born baby capable of making such choices?

If the standard for personhood is presence of rational thought, some of us could be aborted well into our teen years.
Living people have a fully functioning brain, when the brain no longer functions, you are "brain dead" and it is legal to pull the plug, isn't it?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:49 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Not necessarily, if they had moral failings in other areas. Being pro-abortion (pro-murder) is an inherently immoral position. Just like if someone was pro-genocide but otherwise a "good person" -- is that person moral?
The bolded is why so many of these arguments don't get resolved. The opposition (pro-life) refuses to understand those of us on 'the other side' are not "pro-abortion" but pro choice. We simply want women to have the choice whether to continue a pregnancy or not.

That is where I see the OP (and the thread title) as poorly worded as well. I don't 'support abortion'. I support a woman's right to choose abortion if she thinks it's best for her. But I would attempt to argue any friend or family member out of it, if given that chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies