Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 03:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I don't know about that, but his father was active duty
military 24/7 - his wife the spouse of 24/7 active duty. I don't even know why they would bring up whether it was a civilian hospital or not. His mere presence in another
part of the world, was a direct order of his own government. Who comes up with these lawyer type
explanations ....oh, lawyers
There is nothing in the constitution about soldiers on active duty elsewhere conferring "natural born citizen" status on their kids. Maybe the FF never considered we'd be invading other countries and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 03:23 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
"I'm pretty sure that the rule for U.S. presidency is; unless you were born on a military base in another country you are not eligible to be president.

John McCain was born in Panama but the canal zone is recognized as an area where (at the time) was American territory."

Where in this post, that I wrote, does it say that Military bases are U.S. territory ?

read it again... and again.............then think (a lot)............ then reply if you feel you must.
Ehm - you're still wrong?

The rule isn't "unless you were born on a military base in another country you are not eligible to be president". Being born on a US military base does not convey citizenship or any other sort of privilege.

The State Department says:

Despite widespread popular belief, U.S. military installations abroad and U.S. diplomatic or consular facilities abroad are not part of
the United States within the meaning of the 14th Amendment. A
child born on the premises of such a facility is not born in the
United States and does not acquire U.S. citizenship by reason of
birth.

That's from this handy document:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86755.pdf

- page 5.

"John McCain was born in Panama but the canal zone is recognized as an area where (at the time) was American territory."

Interesting question. The Canal Zone was an "unincorporated territory" with a very muddled set of rules for citizenship. If you had 2 citizen parents, no worries. If you had one citizen parent, in 1936, you'd have been a US national - not a citizen. This was taken care of in 1937, with legislation that retroactively granted full citizenship to anyone with one citizen parent. But without at least one citizen parent, there wasn't any jus soli citizenship to be had - territory or no.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:24 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Uh, no. The senate had to pass a special resolution making McCain an NBC.

Clinton, Obama Sponsor McCain Citizenship Bill

I'm truly amazed how many constitutional scholars there are here on CD, that know the answer to everything w/o a moment's hesitation.
Just goes to show the senate has a lot of time on their
hands passing useless resolutions. I just wish for once
common sense would govern all those on the hill.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:25 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
So what would happen if Obama was proven to have not been born in America?

Gimme a break!!! One of the sworn duties of the Chief Justice is to administer the oath of office. Do you really think that the Chief Justice, a man who makes his living by dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's would administer this oath if he did not have proof that the person to whom he gave the oath was not completely in compliance with the regs?? If Obama was not in compliance with ALL the stipulations the Chief Justice would not have administered the oath. after all, that is part of his job.
Umm Dusty, did you watch Chief Justice Roberts during the swearing of the Oath?
They actually had to redo it later.

This Conservative believes Obama is a born American, however, I'm not convinced that he loves or is proud of his nation.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Just of S&G the only way to remove a president from office is through a vote for impeachment in the House and a concurring 2/3rds majority vote in the Senate.

Upon a vote in the Senate for impeachment the Vice President will be ascend to the office of the Presidency.

It is just that simple.

No body other than the Congress of the United States has the power to remove a sitting President.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Everything he signed, including Executive Orders would be null & void.
That is simply not true, because at the time of enactment or signing this hypothetical president had been duly certified by the Congress and duly sworn in. Under the de facto officer doctrine which "confers validity upon acts performed by a person acting under the color of official title even though it is later discovered that the legality of that person’s appointment or election to office is deficient."

Old 04-23-2011, 03:29 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,314,858 times
What would happen?

He would be going to jail for the rest of his life is what would happen.

If he was not born here then he has committed more then just fraud and would be sent away forever. Then again he would find a liberal nut judge who would only give him 40 years.

I believe he has committed many crimes on the American people and it is not just this issue.

He is a fraud in every sense of the word and has committed fraud over and over.

Seeing him taken out of the WH in handcuffs and taken to prison would be a site. Then we would get stuck with stupid Joe for another 1 1/2 years.

And people think Nixon did some bad things, Obamaboy has him beat to pieces.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
What would happen?

He would be going to jail for the rest of his life is what would happen.
If you would care to cite the relevant criminal statute, please be my guess.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:32 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ehm - you're still wrong?

The State Department says:

Despite widespread popular belief, U.S. military installations abroad and U.S. diplomatic or consular facilities abroad are not part of
the United States within the meaning of the 14th Amendment. A
child born on the premises of such a facility is not born in the
United States and does not acquire U.S. citizenship by reason of
birth.

That's from this handy document:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86755.pdf

- page 5.

"John McCain was born in Panama but the canal zone is recognized as an area where (at the time) was American territory."

Interesting question. The Canal Zone was an "unincorporated territory" with a very muddled set of rules for citizenship. If you had 2 citizen parents, no worries. If you had one citizen parent, in 1936, you'd have been a US national - not a citizen. This was taken care of in 1937, with legislation that retroactively granted full citizenship to anyone with one citizen parent. But without at least one citizen parent, there wasn't any jus soli citizenship to be had - territory or no.

I'm glad that you finally researched this and NOW know the rules.

When I wrote:

"unless you were born on a military base in another country you are not eligible to be president"

I was very obviously refering to a married military couple and not some soldier who got a local pregnant.

I think that you just love to argue but that's just my opinion.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:33 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,314,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just of S&G the only way to remove a president from office is through a vote for impeachment in the House and a concurring 2/3rds majority vote in the Senate.

Upon a vote in the Senate for impeachment the Vice President will be ascend to the office of the Presidency.

It is just that simple.

No body other than the Congress of the United States has the power to remove a sitting President.

That is simply not true, because at the time of enactment or signing this hypothetical president had been duly certified by the Congress and duly sworn in. Under the de facto officer doctrine which "confers validity upon acts performed by a person acting under the color of official title even though it is later discovered that the legality of that person’s appointment or election to office is deficient."

If in fact he was not born here the impeachment would be done very quickly.

You seem to forget he can be removed from his duties right away if he is not fit or is in jail for crimes.

If he did commit fraud he would be removed from his job and Biden would move up until the time his hearing start.

Any crime committed by a sitting President that puts him in jail or under arrest then he is automatically relieved of his duties until a hearing(s) are held.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:33 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
He would be impeached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies