Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
Obama's mother is a U.S. citizen.
Maybe I am wrong but even if his mom were a US citizen and he had been born overseas aka in Kenya, that would not make him eligible to run for President.

I am not saying he wasn't. Neither is the OP. The OP was just asking what would happen if we found out Obama was not born in the United States.

Chill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
He has to have been BORN ON OUR SOIL or have been born to a US military family serving our country to become President.

Didn't you know that?
Wrong

President of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86757.pdf

e: Point being that the Constitution only specifies NATURAL-BORN citizenship. Which happens when you are born on U.S. soil (jus soli) or born to U.S. citizens abroad (jus sanguini).

Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I will be your guess.

Are you saying that if the President of the United States commits a crime that he can just stay in office and do what he is doing without any problems?
Are you surprised people would actually say something like that?

Illegals violate the law every day coming to this country and yet they're allowed to stay. The government even gives them all kinds of benefits...no questions asked. Hey, they even want to give them amnesty...Hello Dream Act!

Do you expect anything different from our government and from supporters?!

Old 04-23-2011, 06:32 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
The key point? He wouldn't be able to run for re-election.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:33 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
A mess. You'd have demands for prison sentences for anybody who knew it but kept it quiet for whatever reasons and that would threaten the highest echelons of all branches of our government. Trust and faith in the government wouldn't be just challenged, it would be revealed to have been misplaced.
It could happen. The government as we know it is failing and there's going to be some effort to blame it for all problems and then replace it. I doubt things will improve but it will give the powers that be an excuse to further their own hold on power by deceiving the masses that there is now change for the better.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Maybe I am wrong but even if his mom were a US citizen and he had been born overseas aka in Kenya, that would not make him eligible to run for President.

I am not saying he wasn't. Neither is the OP. The OP was just asking what would happen if we found out Obama was not born in the United States.

Chill.
Yes, you are wrong. George Romney, Mitt's father, was born in Mexico in a polygamy colony, to US citizens. He ran for pres. Lowell Weicker, a senator from Connecticut, was born in Paris to US citizen parents. He ran for president. I should say both these men ran in the primaries, but they were eligible to run for president.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:04 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, you are wrong. George Romney, Mitt's father, was born in Mexico in a polygamy colony, to US citizens. He ran for pres. Lowell Weicker, a senator from Connecticut, was born in Paris to US citizen parents. He ran for president. I should say both these men ran in the primaries, but they were eligible to run for president.
Mitt's father ?

did Mitt's father run for the presidency?

Weicker was NEVER a candidate for President. Probably because it was discovered that he WASN'T born on U.S. soil.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Mitt's father ?

did Mitt's father run for the presidency?

Weicker was NEVER a candidate for President. Probably because it was discovered that he WASN'T born on U.S. soil.
George W. Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Romney was born to American parents in the Mormon colonies in Mexico; events during the Mexican Revolution forced his family to move back to the United States when he was a child. . . . Romney was a candidate for President of the United States in 1968.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowell_P._Weicker,_Jr.
Lowell Palmer Weicker, Jr. (born May 16, 1931) is an American politician who served as a U.S. Representative, U.S. Senator, and the 85th Governor of Connecticut, and unsuccessfully sought the Republican nomination for President in 1980.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:19 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,964 times
again, niether were candidates

their parties knew that their birthplace would be an issue so NIETHER got the nomination.

Name an actual president (other than Barry Obama) who was born off of US soil.

Last edited by laidbackhippie; 04-23-2011 at 07:29 PM..

Old 04-23-2011, 07:26 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh, that's easy. He would be forced to resign or be impeached.

Hey we could hope right! i'm all up for that. But hey in this technical advancement of a world we live in, anything and everything is possible, you know the right people in the right places, anything can easily be done. I watched a television show on tv last year, that had a show on how easy it is for some to make a fake birth cirtificate, as well as other important documents. They can make fake documents of any kind these days, question being, has someone gotten away with it.

If it were to be true, no way, i want him for my President, would explain a awful lot of things. That is one lie i would not forget, oh and by the way we are talking about Obama, no one else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies