Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:41 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Americans obsessed with their sports. While the people of Allen Texas rally around their high school football team and sports teams they can sleep well at night knowing that only less than 1% of their graduates will ever go on to do anything lucrative with sports or athletics. Meanwhile a high school in India or Sweden is spending millions on a new science or dare I say it..........MATH LAB..........ughhhhhhhh math is like sooooooooo 1990s........

Allen High School in Texas nears completion of new $60 million football stadium
This is why 12th graders in Holland can speak 3 languages and some Texans consider Trump Presidential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 08:46 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
The new Texas high school stadium sounds no more extravagant when accounting for size of school than when my town's high school recently built a new stadium. It costed $20 million for around 7000 seats.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The new Texas high school stadium sounds no more extravagant when accounting for size of school than when my town's high school recently built a new stadium. It costed $20 million for around 7000 seats.

I guess high school football is more important than graduating students who can conjugate an irregular verb.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
Look at the research. High School students involved in sports and other extra curricular activities have higher grades, higher graduation rates, lower teen-pregnancy rates and lower drug/alcohol use rates than students that don't. In Texas, revenues from football pays for almost all the other sports offered at a school. In the end, it does benefit ALL the students that chose to participate.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:19 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
it is realy good education to learn how to kick,run, bounce, toss ,and catch flying balls.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:19 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
Americans obsessed with their sports. While the people of Allen Texas rally around their high school football team and sports teams they can sleep well at night knowing that only less than 1% of their graduates will ever go on to do anything lucrative with sports or athletics. Meanwhile a high school in India or Sweden is spending millions on a new science or dare I say it..........MATH LAB..........ughhhhhhhh math is like sooooooooo 1990s........

Well good for them .. Now I can expect Texans to quit complaining about all of the cuts to education??? ..

Old 05-01-2011, 09:35 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:

The irony here is that the State of Texas has one of the lowest amounts in terms of spending per student in the country at $8,320. The national average is $10,259.

Talk about misplaced priorities.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:37 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Education is not limited to your ABCs and 123s...
That would be fine if Texas did well at teaching ABCs and 123s.

It is not.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:45 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Well, it is football...in Texas. There's nothing wrong with people doing what they want with their own money, but this just re-inforces the truth that Americans don't give a damn about education.

Maybe I should teach in a country where the people actually value being educated. Clearly the U.S. isn't it.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:58 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:

Well ... I have no say as to what Texas does as I live in California but we need to invest more in rigorous academic programs to help our children compete in the global economy. Our children are graduating from high school barely able to do arithmetic and science so we have to constantly import foreigners for engineering and medical jobs because there are not enough qualified Americans to fill these roles. Once we have our education crisis of lagging behind other countries under control AND when our economy has turned around, then maybe we can discuss a sports stadium with a high ticket price! Frankly, even then ... Why are they even considering paying for one that is $60 million??? That is outrageous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies