Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:40 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
There is also a little thing called "No Pass - No Play" which is the only reason some of the kids even show up in math class. It provides a lot of motivation for some kids to make some level of effort in class. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.....unless you can pull him from the lineup if he doesn't.

But for the most part, the less-academically-inclined players are put in easy remedial basket-weaving-type classes and just passed whether or not they're doing the work.

Like I said, sports should not be the responsibility of the schools and taxpayers. School sports should not go beyond gym class and intramural leagues. They should be in private leagues just like they play in before high school. You would think a conservative bastion like Texas would be outraged at this waste of taxpayer money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 09:55 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times

YouTube - Spongebob and Patrick make fun of Texas

Old 05-02-2011, 10:11 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
But for the most part, the less-academically-inclined players are put in easy remedial basket-weaving-type classes and just passed whether or not they're doing the work.

Like I said, sports should not be the responsibility of the schools and taxpayers. School sports should not go beyond gym class and intramural leagues. They should be in private leagues just like they play in before high school. You would think a conservative bastion like Texas would be outraged at this waste of taxpayer money.
......AND,.....Ostriches SHOULD be able to fly,.....after all they have wings.

What you fail to realize is that this stadium is being built through proceeds attained from a local BOND election, one that won by a huge margin. The new stadium relaced one that was around thirty years old,...one that had been outgrown many years ago.

Why not talk about the 500-600 member band, or the fact that the stadium houses more than just football activities? Or,...the fact that the $120 million bond election also included a contemporary performing arts auditiorium?

And finally,...there is a core curriculum that all graduates must pass before graduation. No-pass-no-play keeps athletes on their toes,...and "basket-weaving" classes don't count.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:15 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
The point is the money could be better spent on helping ALL STUDENTS....not just propping up high school athletics. It reflects upon American culture and why the entire US public education system is a complete and utter failure and why American kids are unable to compete in a global economy. It speaks volumes as to where our celebrity obsessed and sporstaholic culture begins. You ask American kids who was kicked off American Idol last week most could probably tell you. Now go ask them which branch of US government is known for being the most representative and why? Hell most adults probably can't name the Secretary of the Treasury or the Fed Chairman or what quantitative easing and hyperinflation mean......let alone who the current Defense Secretary is. Or better yet how many high schools kids understand the Food Modernization and Safety Act and the impact it has on this country and their right to choose healthy food. Now go ask any adult male between the ages of 20 and 40 a myriad of useless sports statistics.
Nonsense!!! “Four years of football are calculated to breed in the average man more of the ingredients of success in life than almost any academic course he takes.”-Knute Rockne . Football is not just another sport among many, Football stands alone, especially in the youth and High school years. In this world today one of the most pressing issues is the lack of real men, young boys growing up not knowing who, what or wear they should be, go or do. Football is a training ground for success in life for young men.....Texas is ground Zero for that endeavor. I would suggest everyone buy this documentary and you might begin to get just a hint of some of us already know!
YouTube - "Boys of Fall" (documentary) from Kenny Chesney and Shaun Silva This Country could use a whole lot more Football Stadiums.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Ok, even worse. I thought schools were about educating people not creating professional sports stadiums. I guess that's how they roll in Texas.
The Allen school district (and many of the nearby school districts) are already pretty darn good at academics. This is not some inner city gang banging 'can't read at 14' area...this is an area that is already performing well academically and now will get revenue from this stadium (that will be used for many different things).

How do you people keep your foot in your mouth with your knee jerking so much all the time?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
You would think a conservative bastion like Texas would be outraged at this waste of taxpayer money.
The taxpayers voted on it.
Oh, but I should keep in mind that most Texas bashers hate it when the lowly tax payer peon gets a voice in how his/her money is spent.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:25 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
If I had been a voter in the Allen Independent School District, I would have voted against the bonds to build a $60M stadium. I think it is excessive.

However, as a parent of three, I think extracurricular activities, including sports, theater arts, music, etc. are an important part of high school. Maybe some of you think you can just order kids to go to class. Some kids, who struggle with school, will drop out. But many of these kids WILL stay in school if the bond to sports, music, art, etc. The 3 Rs won't cut it. In my kids' high school, 5 of the valedictorians or salutatorians the last four years have been athletes.

Texas has a "no pass no play" rule. Students are ineligible for extracurricular activities if they have a failing grade in any class during a 6 week grading period.

Allen ISD is in an affluent area. The entire school district does VERY well academically, including the high school. Although I would have voted against the stadium, I support the voters rights to accept the taxes that go with their choices. Construction bonds are repaid from property taxes in Texas. Voters have to approve them.

Those in California commenting on this - what do you think of the $578M high school recently completed in Los Angeles? Over half a billion dollars?

LA unveils costliest school in the nation - US news - Life - msnbc.com

Old 05-02-2011, 10:31 AM

20,463 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
This is why 12th graders in Holland can speak 3 languages and some Texans consider Trump Presidential.
12th graders in Holland speak 3 languages because Holland has native speakers of at least 4 languages. they dont have a choice and they hear all these languages at home from birth.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:42 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
There is also a little thing called "No Pass - No Play" which is the only reason some of the kids even show up in math class. It provides a lot of motivation for some kids to make some level of effort in class. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.....unless you can pull him from the lineup if he doesn't.

BTW - Friday night HS football is a TEXAS tradition. That's what we do here and it's none of anyone elses business how we spend OUR money.
YEAH IT IS OUR F'ing business when your border is wide open and you've got illegals and drugs coming in droves. Oh it's the Federal government's problem? I thought Texans could take care of themselves?

Last edited by SoCalCroozer; 05-02-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
So "Football makes Men!" or something like that? Football makes followers and little else. It teaches kids that 10 of them on the team are supposed to sacrifice themselves for the quarterback and he collects all the glory and girls. It did not take me long to realize the guy on the line took the pain and got none of the glory.

Let's face it most of the folks in TEXAS, or anywhere else are no different than the Roman mob 2,000 years ago. They like violent entertainment and will pay millions to build places for their entertainers to play.

Math classes, physics labs and computer stations are simply not exciting enough to bother funding. Who cares that the nerds not the football players will make the future? The mob needs to be entertained. The future be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies