Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:31 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The fact that HIGH SCHOOL football brings in that kind of money in Texas is a sad commentary on Texas. Personally, I think its kind of strange for adults to be obsessed with high school football unless they have a family member who is playing.

It's like the guys I work with............they can spout of EVERY sport stat of just about every organization and player. Yet 99% of them are fat, out of shape, and have never played a sport in their life. LOL........It's funny to hear some couch warrior tell me how bad such and such player is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 11:31 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
I thought your motta was "Don't mess with Texas!"???????? Why let the Feds push you around and tell you how to live your life and run your state? I thought that's what California was for? LOL.......Afterall it's in that piece of paper we call the Constitution that states have the right to seceed when their government becomes tyrannical and corrupt. But maybe they don't teach that in Texas schools anymore as everyone is too busy playing football.

How many striking border patrol agents who refuse to work and secure the border would be supported by $60 million? I mean what's the average border patrol salary? We could probably pull a big chunk of them off the line and pay their salaries while they refuse to go to work. That would send a nice big message to Washington. Things like will NEVER happen because America is a divided country everyone clamoring for their own special interest.
]
uhm... err... you do realize that boarder patrol agents are paid by the federal government right?

I think you have lost reason. you certainly seem to be suggesting that Texas just break the law....

Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The fact that HIGH SCHOOL football brings in that kind of money in Texas is a sad commentary on Texas. Personally, I think its kind of strange for adults to be obsessed with high school football unless they have a family member who is playing.
My great great uncle would say "Now by gosh you thought!"

You think it is sad? well, what we have here is a school with 5000 kids. We have a town of 84K people ranked by CNN as 16th best place to live in America in 2010.

On any given Friday night, you have FAMILES going to a football game TOGETHER. You have COMMUNITY and people getting to know their neighbors and their neighbor's kids.

You have parents taking interest in their kids and supplying a good healthy environment for their kids to have fun in without getting into trouble.

Sorry. I fail to see where this is a bad thing.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Some want a new art museum for their paleasure and others want a new stadium. To each his own as they say.

for the record, if my town were to provide solid information that at new Arts museum would generate millions of dollars for the school district every year, I would happily support a 60 million dollar bond to build it.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
My great great uncle would say "Now by gosh you thought!"

You think it is sad? well, what we have here is a school with 5000 kids. We have a town of 84K people ranked by CNN as 16th best place to live in America in 2010.

On any given Friday night, you have FAMILES going to a football game TOGETHER. You have COMMUNITY and people getting to know their neighbors and their neighbor's kids.

You have parents taking interest in their kids and supplying a good healthy environment for their kids to have fun in without getting into trouble.

Sorry. I fail to see where this is a bad thing.

YouTube - Another look: Jackson High football brawl

YouTube - Football Brawl

YouTube - Palm Bay @ North Brevard BRAWL

YouTube - High School Football Brawl - Weslaco Panthers vs. Brownsville Pace

Old 05-02-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
]
uhm... err... you do realize that boarder patrol agents are paid by the federal government right?

I think you have lost reason. you certainly seem to be suggesting that Texas just break the law....
LOL...........haha............what a joke.............I guess those big bad terrorists we called Patriots of the American revolution never had to break any laws when they fought for their country. Of course they were called "terrorists" back then. Ummmmmmmm I guess we should just all hold hands, sing koombaya, and write letters to our congressman and senators right? I mean after all what does breaking laws or violence ever solve? LMAO! And we wonder why America never changes. People aren't REALLY willing to sacrifice anything anymore.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:49 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Quote:
Americans obsessed with their sports. While the people of Allen Texas rally around their high school football team and sports teams they can sleep well at night knowing that only less than 1% of their graduates will ever go on to do anything lucrative with sports or athletics. Meanwhile a high school in India or Sweden is spending millions on a new science or dare I say it..........MATH LAB..........ughhhhhhhh math is like sooooooooo 1990s........

Allen High School in Texas nears completion of new $60 million football stadium

Yeppers, sports are #1, literacy is a distant 2nd.

I especially enjoy seeing the new Marlins stadium in Miami when Miami and Dade County can't get their budget out of the crapper.

Kudos!

Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
breaking this down in a few words.

Allen ISD is kicking butt in the math lab.

2010 Accountability: List of All Ratings

Allen ISDs football stadium will MAKE MILLIONS of dollars that go to the district for hiring teachers and building science centers.

The football will PAY for it all.... Thank God we have folk who love thier Arena's! they shell out lots of cash!
Ferd - I think you are mistaken about the revenues from football at Allen HS.

Based on their audited 2009-2010 financial statements, extracurricular activites operated at a deficit of $1,793,387. They spent $4,190,706. That's for the entire school district.

The new stadium will probably increase revenues due to additional ticket and concession sales. Maybe an additional playoff game or two per year. But they have to make up $1.8M just to break even.

They will not be hiring teachers nor building science centers with football ticket sales.

And by the way - they would use bond money to build science centers, not maintenance and operations funds.

http://www.allenisd.org/20061061015583133/lib/20061061015583133/09-10_Allen_Audit.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-02-2011, 11:55 AM

376 posts, read 295,991 times
Quote:
YEAH IT IS OUR F'ing business when your border is wide open and you've got illegals and drugs coming in droves. Oh it's the Federal government's problem? I thought Texans could take care of themselves?

Look Mother Hubbard, If it were strictly up to Texans to decide, I'm sure we would have a Wednesday night Illegal Invader Roundup, the results of which would be used as dummies in Thursday night tackling practice, just to get the team loosened up for some Friday Night Football.

BTW: no one here cares what cali people think or for that matter even believe it is possible.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
and not one of those links has to do with Allen Highschool Football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies