Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Federal Pay: Keep Frozen or Restart Traditional Automatic Raises?
Restart the traditional automatic step increases and Time-In-Grade increases 17 32.69%
Keep Federal Pay Frozen Until the Feds Are Paid Only Slightly More Than the Private Sector 34 65.38%
I don't care about this stuff. Its boring. Hey...how about that American Idol Finale? 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
First of all, there should be no such thing as an "automatic" pay raise. Pay should be on merit as it is in most private sector work.

Second, considering the traditional security people in public sector have, they should not expect to be paid at a rate highter or even equal to private sector pay.
I think I tried to state above, ad nauseum, that the pay raise is not automatic. You have to demonstrate good performance before you get that step increase.

Yes, the federal gov. employees have always had a pay disparity but made themselves feel better because they had a pension and they didn't have to worry about the government "going out of business" like a private company could.

At some point, in the 1980s, the government was actually have problems hiring people because the disparity it pay was pretty bad. Now remember, back then, many private companies were giving pensions and other perks so this made it more difficult. Congress worked to try to bring pay in line with the private sector in order to fill vacancies and pay did improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 PM

59,132 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't know of any agency that hires at GS-12 or GS-13 for new grads without any experience. They don't hire new grads at a higher GS-level in DC, their grade requirements are fairly uniform throughout the country. Do you have a link to an agency hiring at the GS-12/13 level?

Typical bid below

USAJOBS - Search Jobs
We hired many new grads at GS-12 positions under the (I think it was called) Outstanding Scholar Program. You had to have a 3.5 or higher GPA. ALL the onew we hired had 4.o GPAs. This also got around any hiring freezes that were in effect. and this was in the DC, Balt area.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:11 PM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think I tried to state above, ad nauseum, that the pay raise is not automatic. You have to demonstrate good performance before you get that step increase.

Yes, the federal gov. employees have always had a pay disparity but made themselves feel better because they had a pension and they didn't have to worry about the government "going out of business" like a private company could.

At some point, in the 1980s, the government was actually have problems hiring people because the disparity it pay was pretty bad. Now remember, back then, many private companies were giving pensions and other perks so this made it more difficult. Congress worked to try to bring pay in line with the private sector in order to fill vacancies and pay did improve.
Unless the supervisor gives an employee an unacceptable rating, they will get the step increase, that practice is the norm, occasionaly they will hold back the step, but I would be willing to bet that 99% get the increase if they have the time in grade.

During the late 1980's they had difficulty attracting civil engineers and other disciplines, so they created special pay scales for those areas, needless to say that is no longer the case.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
We hired many new grads at GS-12 positions under the (I think it was called) Outstanding Scholar Program. You had to have a 3.5 or higher GPA. ALL the onew we hired had 4.o GPAs. This also got around any hiring freezes that were in effect. and this was in the DC, Balt area.
Don't want to beat a dead horse anymore, and I don't doubt what you say but the usual practice is to hire new grads with superior grades at the GS-7 level (H-Band under core comp). I would like to know what agency that is because it's certainly not the norm.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
No I sure don't. I can tell you that one branch in my organization routinely fills their cost estimators with recent grads with mathematical degrees. We were all just discussing this a few weeks ago because they come into the government at such high grades and they basically have nowhere to go from that point. It is a very high pressured job which requires a high degree of mathematical aptitude and these types are hard to find. Is this the norm? No, but it happens. They also have more than just a Bachelor of Science Degree and most definitely have relevent intern work that probably helps them into the job.

This same group hired a young lady with math-type degree and a business minor right out of college as a GS-12. They may have counted her summer intern work at various places as relevant experience. This one I personally know because she went to college with my cousin's daughter and we helped her to get the job.

The big difference between the government and private industry is the pressure. Most private companies can and will fire you for non-performance and "you " are responsible, no recourse unless it's discriminatory. If you are an engineer or accountant, biologist, accountant working for Boeing, Merck, IBM you will be dismissed with no alternative, in the government you will be sent for retraining, counseling, etc. Employees will never be fired unless their actions border on criminal actions. There is no pressure in the government for the most part, no one ever gets fired.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:06 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,126 times
I think numbers can be manipulated to suit one's own needs.

In my experience, people I know leave the public sector for private jobs for higher pay. While federal jobs do offer more job security and some benefits such as pension, the pay step increases are not that big. On average, I'd say its about 2.5% yearly when at the bottom of your grade. When at the top, its about 1.5% or so.

Right now, I could see it being possible that federal jobs pay more due to the economy. But, that may be the aberration due to the sluggish economy and massive layoffs.. That's not a reason to freeze government workers pay any longer than the current administration has already done.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:16 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The big difference between the government and private industry is the pressure. Most private companies can and will fire you for non-performance and "you " are responsible, no recourse unless it's discriminatory. If you are an engineer or accountant, biologist, accountant working for Boeing, Merck, IBM you will be dismissed with no alternative, in the government you will be sent for retraining, counseling, etc. Employees will never be fired unless their actions border on criminal actions. There is no pressure in the government for the most part, no one ever gets fired.
I think, overall, this is true but it's not so much of a big difference in some places.

Prior to me coming over to the public sector, I worked for one of the Big Defense Contractors. You know what? They had a very hard time getting rid of a non-performer. In fact, it took well over a year for us to get rid of one woman who had been non-performing for many years. Even the government employee who was funding her was worried and the employer was also worried. They had a huge process to go through, and the non-performer's supervisor had to write up an entire Performance Improvement Plan the employee and basically be on her back for a year and also address her deficiencies as a supervisor for the employee not doing well. What a mess it was.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Are they raising the payment to seniors for Social Security? Last I heard, for the past two years, the 0bama admin froze the amount to their monthly payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies