Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Federal Pay: Keep Frozen or Restart Traditional Automatic Raises?
Restart the traditional automatic step increases and Time-In-Grade increases 17 32.69%
Keep Federal Pay Frozen Until the Feds Are Paid Only Slightly More Than the Private Sector 34 65.38%
I don't care about this stuff. Its boring. Hey...how about that American Idol Finale? 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:50 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
that means 15% of them are in DC. That is a hell of a lot of jobs. DC has less than half of a percent of the US Population.

That means federal jobs are roughly 30 times more likely to be in DC, than somewhere else.

thank you for assisting me in proving this point.
That's pretty shocking that there are a lot of federal jobs in the country's capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 04:52 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Easy solution to this problem. Contract out every single federal job to the private sector (except the military of course) and let the free market determine salaries. It works for every other industry on the planet.
Who will do the procurements? Another contractor?

Old 05-27-2011, 04:52 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,917,003 times
I think it depends on their salary. Not all federal employees are paid well.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:06 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Look. I don't know you and I don't know if your a government lifer.

But that is EXACTLY the attitude that America is sick of.

While most Americans are just trying to scrape by in this recession the government paper-pusher is saying, "Hey leave my benefit package, perks and pay alone and pay attention to the guy above me. He's the one who is really getting over.

Of course, when you knock on his door, that guy says THE EXACT SAME THING ABOUT THE GUY ABOVE HIM!

That "pass the buck", D.C. attitude is what people are just sick and tired of AND ITS GOT TO STOP!!

Government Workers: ITS TIME THAT YOU SACRIFICE ALONG WITH THE REST OF US OUT HERE! THE PRIVILEGE STOPS NOW!!
Actually none of us really mind sacrificing. There's been a lot of talk about it at work.

What we don't like are the generalizations:

1. You make more that the private sector employees. Well we've seen that we actually don't in so many instances. That's fine. If you need to cut to save money, do it, but don't paint us with some broad brush stroke that we're all fat cats. Some are overpaid, and generally those tend to be the 20 year mailroom clerk or the 25 year "secretary". They do much better in the government. The engineer---eeeh, not so much. Cut because the country is broke, don't try to make us out to be evil.

2. Big fat pensions: we don't have them. After 1984, any person obtaining government employment was put in FERS. The CSRS pension was not available anymore. Under FERS you have a 401K plan that government does matching with (just like all the private companies I worked for). I believe it is up to 5% of what you contribute. We also get an annuity. That annuity will pay you 1% of your highest three years of salary for each year you worked. So if I worked for 20 years and my high three averaged out to $100,000, I would get a pension of $20,000 per year plus live off my 401K and Social Security. The pension is not totally given to us, we do contribute a small amount each paycheck toward the pension. Now, I won't **** off ANY money but, I am likely to retire with this $20,000 a year pension. I'm sure I'll need it but it's not anything so wonderful that it's making me stay in my government job. My friend who works for SAIC (under a government-paid contract) gets a much better deal thab me. She also gets a 401K with matching, better health insurance premiums, PLUS she gets the ability to buy into SAIC stock options and very big bonuses each year.

Now I realize that much of the country is suffering; however, it's really hard to compare what goes on in one area compared to others. I think in some areas the government employees are living like fat cats and in others they live subpar to the private sector (DC namely). When you take a locale like DC and you start stripping away workers benefits, pay, and denigrating them by making them scapegoats because you're angry that they might have something you don't, you don't realize what you're creating.

What's going to happen is that the government workers (in a good market) will be dessimated, will leave federal service (I know I will) and go work for the #2 and #3 employers in the DC area (SAIC and Northrup Grumman). The government won't save any money at all, they'll just have the contractors (their buddies) pick it up, pat themselves on the back for decreasing the government payroll numbers and the budget will continue to blow up.

I don't really care. I always have a job waiting for me back at employer #2 and #3 and, to be honest, I might welcome it. Less responsibility for me, I will get a holiday party again, and I will be able to use a restroom that has marble floors and twice a day cleaning (oh and no mice infestations).

Old 05-27-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Who will do the procurements? Another contractor?
Exactly, and there is such a huge conflict of interest with that. Those contractors will absolutely rape the feds for everything.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:13 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,331,463 times
Haven't read through the thread, but federal employees still get annual raises. So, to say that their salaries are 'frozen' is disingenuous of the gov't. They still can go up in steps, which equates to a raise. The only thing that's frozen is the dollar amount assigned to each step. So, say you're a GS12 Step 5 earning $77,000 (using rounded numbers, not exact)... come raise time you go to a GS12 Step 6 and bam! You're now making $79,000 (or whatever that step increase is equivalent to). Their salaries are NOT frozen.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:20 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times
Stop editorializing poll answers. Just freakin "yes, no and maybe" will suffice!

Old 05-27-2011, 05:30 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Congress should vote to cut its pay by 5%. Constitutionally it could not be effective until after the next election, but it would be a great gesture that they are willing to make some sacrifices.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Haven't read through the thread, but federal employees still get annual raises. So, to say that their salaries are 'frozen' is disingenuous of the gov't. They still can go up in steps, which equates to a raise. The only thing that's frozen is the dollar amount assigned to each step. So, say you're a GS12 Step 5 earning $77,000 (using rounded numbers, not exact)... come raise time you go to a GS12 Step 6 and bam! You're now making $79,000 (or whatever that step increase is equivalent to). Their salaries are NOT frozen.
You are correct, the within grade step increases have not been stopped.

What has been stopped is the migration upward of the GS scale and the annual raise given by Congress which, I believe for the last 2 years was around 2%.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Oh, also wanted to add that step increases are not annual. Here's the timetable from OPM:

Advancement from...
Requires...
step 1 to step 2
52 weeks of creditable service at step 1
step 2 to step 3
52 weeks of creditable service at step 2
step 3 to step 4
52 weeks of creditable service in step 3
step 4 to step 5
104 weeks of creditable service in step 4
step 5 to step 6
104 weeks of creditable service in step 5
step 6 to step 7
104 weeks of creditable service in step 6
step 7 to step 8
156 weeks of creditable service in step 7
step 8 to step 9
156 weeks of creditable service in step 8
step 9 to step 10
156 weeks of creditable service in step 9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies