Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'll just assume that you, and most Black people, have never read studies delving into "What's In A Name?"
Actually, I have, extensively. That has nothing to do with what I said.

Quote:
Until then, please refrain from responding to my posts. It's clear you haven't a clue the detrimental effects that poorly chosen names actually do have on children in America.

Thanks.
Sorry, but I'll decide whose posts I will respond to. Unfortunately, you drew the short straw today. The point is not that certain names are poor choices; rather, it is that certain people in this society discriminate against people, and against names, and against people with certain names. That you have admitted to this makes me happy that at least you have admitted to your ethnocentrism, myopia and racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:29 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Those mitigating factors could have made the difference between this second degree murder and voluntary manslaughter. I feel very confident that the pharmacist here was offered a voluntary manslaughter plea bargain with a sentencing recommendation, but he believed that he could have gotten off entirely. The moment the threat of robbery ended, the pharmacist lost any potential claim of justification in defense of property. Without seeing the video, you can't tell if there is enough of a cooling off period to meet the requirement of voluntary manslaughter, but the prosecutors went for the highest charge, and the jury apparently agreed. Without seeing the video itself though, it's hard to say one way or the other. The pharmacist might be able to get the conviction reduced on appeal, but he will probably not be able to get it overturned entirely on these facts.

Poorly chosen names? So if a person doesn't have a WASPy enough name, then they deserve to be discriminated against? That's about a half step removed from the slave driver whipping Kunta Kinte until he broke down and said that his name was Toby.
No one said anything about deserving to be discriminated against. But since you raise the question, i'll chalk you up to another who needs to step away from the forum and educate yourself. Numerous studies have been performed on namesakes and prosperity. Read up.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The only problem with Antwun is the spelling, but that only few people know. Usually when you say your name people assume it is spelled correctly. And the name as such is not negative at all. And a bit fancier than the usual John or Jack or James

(Different names do have connotations, though. I read about a ranking of names in Germany today. In a huge study they found out that on online dating sites certain names get far fewer clicks than others, even after compensating for frequency and things like that. Kevin for instance is the worst name a man can have there There is even a correlation between name and self-esteem, education, and other things. The reasons behind that are complex.)
As in Kevin-Prince Boateng?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
That's a good point on the first part. If he was already dead, then the worst the pharmacist could be charged with is abuse of a corpse. If the robber was still alive, and arguably still a threat, then the self defense becomes clear.

The mistake was in getting another gun to finish the job. As I said, I see the technical basis for the charges. Morally, I think they guy's a hero.

In any case, Antwun aint gonna be robbin' no body no mo'! I'll bet his momma appears on TV saying "He was a good boy who just liked to make people laugh and he done fell in wit' the wrong crowd!"
meh... quite a bit worse than that, actually...

Antwun Parker's Mom Says Son's A 'Hero' - Video - KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/r-video/24706367/detail.html - broken link)

Old 07-11-2011, 12:36 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's self-defense under Universal Law.

I don't understand what you mean by that. If you mean the first shot killed him or would have killed him, then then additional shots aren't relevant, so that would be an excellent case for appeal backed up by tons of case law.

As long as he is alive, he's a problem.

That's what's wrong with you people. You got stupid stuff like "Zero-Tolerance" for peanut butter in elementary schools, but when it comes to
"Zero-Tolerance" for crime, your spines turn to jelly and you slink away.
The problem with 'you people' is your lack of reading comprehension and respect for the law.

The first shot that pharmacist took was clearly self-defense and he was well within his rights.

Pretty much all of us would like to see people like these thugs dealt with in a, um, permanent manner. But we KNOW that we can't just do that. Because it is against the law.

Make it a law that I can dispense any justice I want on my own property and we can talk about something else. But for now, the law says you can use self-defense as a affirmative defense. Once the kid was incapacitated, it wasn't self-defense anymore. It was murder.

Unfortunate, but true.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:37 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Actually, I have, extensively. That has nothing to do with what I said.

Sorry, but I'll decide whose posts I will respond to. Unfortunately, you drew the short straw today. The point is not that certain names are poor choices; rather, it is that certain people in this society discriminate against people, and against names, and against people with certain names. That you have admitted to this makes me happy that at least you have admitted to your ethnocentrism, myopia and racism.
Certain people?

Quit lying...you have not read up on this subject "extensively." This is not an issue of "certain people." This is about a direct correlation to success. It is widely known, and widely studied. That you would attribute it to "certain individuals" proves that you know nothing about this topic.

Please move on to something you actually know about.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Well uh, the reason those names have an effect is because of people treating them differently based on their names. People like you. The problem may well be addressed with different names, but the root problem is not the names, it's the people who hold prejudices based on those names.
Sorry. You can't tell me people who make up 'unique' names for their kids aren't doing it to make them stand out.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Well this is clearly premeditated, first of all. You walk behind the counter knowing what you are going to get and what you're going to do with it. Premeditation doesn't require some enormous amount of time.

I am sure that mitigating factors were brought up. Heat of passion, legally adequate provocation, lack of cooling time - these factors are generally those considered to add up to mitigation. You are not really in a position to say that they all existed here.
You know what comes to mind? Those horror and crime movies where the good guy kills the bad guy (or monster) and thinks he's down but then he pops up and tries to get him again.

I think that if someone scared the sh&*(&* out of me and threatened violence on me and tried to rob me, I might go the route of the 'make sure the monster's dead.' Not out of premeditation. But out of pure fear and blind anger.

I do know that anyone breaking into my house...I would empty the clip. I really would. I don't think it would be something I'd even have a chance to think about. That person means to do evil to me...it would be hard to be calculated and cool under those circumstances.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:42 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sorry. You can't tell me people who make up 'unique' names for their kids aren't doing it to make them stand out.
I have no insight into why they do it, nor does it affect my point in the slightest. Obviously the children should suffer no negative effect from their parents' name choice.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:42 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,404,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
meh... quite a bit worse than that, actually...

Antwun Parker's Mom Says Son's A 'Hero' - Video - KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/r-video/24706367/detail.html - broken link)
I have a hard time blaming a grieving mother for believing that her son was a good boy, even though the facts show something different.

Quote:
No one said anything about deserving to be discriminated against.
No, you said "the detrimental effects that poorly chosen names actually do have." Why is it the fault of parents for choosing a name that reflects their culture and heritage, rather than people who choose to disrespect it and treat them differently for it? Again, it's not much different than the slave driver whipping Kunta Kinte until he says his name is Toby. After all, Kunta Kinte would be a "poorly chosen name" in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies