Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

Also, highlight anywhere that I have stated that Black Americans are not capable of speaking Standard American English?
No, you claim that they are "disordered" and in need of therapy.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Pronouncing "ask" as "axe" was a characteristic of an old form of cockney dialect (according to Peter Ackroyd's "London: The Biography") and African-Americans in the slavery era would have picked that up from whites who spoke that dialect. That pronunciation would disappear in England in about 1800 but managed to survive in the US.
Sometimes when I talk to Americans of any color it sounds to me as if most of them said 'exetera' instead of 'etsetera' for etc.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Gee, I wonder if it will be a controversial Mission to get people to quit saying "warsh" instead of "wash"......somehow I don't think so...
If saying 'warsh' instead of 'wash' was a common feature of either whites, browns, blacks, men, women, young and old, it would be interesting to discuss.

This Mcclendon guy takes a lot of heat for arguing that blacks should say 'ask' instead of 'ax.' If you take the time to examine English, teaching journals, you'll see ax vs. ask is somewhat controversial.

Not a gigantic issue compared, to war, the economy, child abuse, etc., but it's worth learning about to some of us.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times
Quote:
Please highlight anywhere in my post that I referred (or insinuated) that you personally were a bigot?

Also, highlight anywhere that I have stated that Black Americans are not capable of speaking Standard American English?
Maybe when you insisted that saying "ax" is caused by a phonological disorder.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If saying 'warsh' instead of 'wash' was a common feature of either whites, browns, blacks, men, women, young and old, it would be interesting to discuss.

This Mcclendon guy takes a lot of heat for arguing that blacks should say 'ask' instead of 'ax.' If you take the time to examine English, teaching journals, you'll see ax vs. ask is somewhat controversial.

Not a gigantic issue compared, to war, the economy, child abuse, etc., but it's worth learning about to some of us.
I agree--at the end of the day, not a big deal.

Unfortunately, it's a big deal to the people who don't hire folks because they say ax instead of ask.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times
Quote:

The whole point of this thread, as it is with the numerous anti-Black threads that are generated daily, is for non-Blacks (specifically some Whites) to assert their self-appointed "superiority" over Black Americans.
Sooo, the black dude in the YouTube video, what do you have to say about him?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:34 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Sooo, the black dude in the YouTube video, what do you have to say about him?
I have no problem with the Black man in the video. It is obvious that his intentions are benevolent. It is the usual chorus of anti-Black posters with whom I have pointed out as the problem.

The real issue is that the main people posting in this thread (as with all of the Black bash threads) don't give a damn about whether or not Black people who speak AAVE are able to correct specific phonological errors or if they are able properly code switch. They see an anti-Black thread and pop on in to add their bigoted viewpoint to the discussion, nothing more.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

That's interesting...but I see you're new. ..probably haven't seen the "history" of this forum and all the "Blacks do this.." Blacks do that.." threads...all started by arrogant posters who seem to think ONLY black people have faults or cause problems. It's a form of racism...very insidious......trying to make it look like a intellectual discussion is baloney...

Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
Why do so many people fixate on the sociocultural dialect differences for African Americans yet ignore them with other groups?
If you are saying "ax" rather than "ask," it doesn't make any difference whether you're black, white, or green with purple stripes. You're either ignorant or lazy--it's possible to be both, I guess--and you need to be corrected.

I've got a bunch of co-workers who believe the holiday that falls on February 14 is called Valentime's Day. And who would've imagined--they think I'm crazy when I correct them. (The word "February," of course, is an entire issue unto itself.)

Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If you are saying "ax" rather than "ask," it doesn't make any difference whether you're black, white, or green with purple stripes. You're either ignorant or lazy--it's possible to be both, I guess--and you need to be corrected.

I've got a bunch of co-workers who believe the holiday that falls on February 14 is called Valentime's Day. And who would've imagined--they think I'm crazy when I correct them. (The word "February," of course, is an entire issue unto itself.)
That's not a matter of laziness because both "ax" and "Valentime" are just as hard to articulate on the tongue as "ask" and "Valentine". It's just a matter of variation in pronunciation.

The stigma behind nonstandard dialects runs so deep, people can't even see their own bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.