Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times

Advertisements

Gee, I wonder if it will be a controversial Mission to get people to quit saying "warsh" instead of "wash"......somehow I don't think so...

Old 06-12-2011, 09:21 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
People, if they are to be taken seriously, must speak English well even if they were born and raised in a non-English speaking country. But those who miss the content of a person's words and concentrate on mispronunciations BY ONE RACE are idiots.

Most people aren't trying to insist that the different regional dialects are a completely separate language.

Some people are trying to push the idea that poor pronunciation and grammar is a legitimate alternative language.
[/quote]

If you spent less time calling people idiots (which I believe is against the rules of this forum, by the way) and more time considering what people are trying to point out then you wouldn't be so sensitive to criticism.

No one is concentrating on one race. You are falsely perceiving it that way.

Most of the threads on this forum are discussions that have nothing to do with black people. But because you strongly believe in the culture of victimhood you feel that blacks are being picked on unfairly. You are ignoring the majority of discussions here where blacks are never mentioned.

When blacks ARE mentioned, however, you and others are quick to scan for anything less than "black culture is perfect and without fault".

Once you sense criticism you and others begin your wails of "poor me" and "why are we getting picked on?"

I assume you are an adult so I wonder why even the slightest criticism hurts you so?

And by the way, it is usually forgiven if someone's English is not very good if they are from another country. It is not forgiven if the speaker was born and raised in America.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
If you spent less time calling people idiots (which I believe is against the rules of this forum, by the way) and more time considering what people are trying to point out then you wouldn't be so sensitive to criticism.

Most of the threads on this forum are discussions that have nothing to do with black people. But because you strongly believe in the culture of victimhood you feel that blacks are being picked on unfairly. You are ignoring the majority of discussions here where blacks are never mentioned.

When blacks ARE mentioned, however, you and others are quick to scan for anything less than "black culture is perfect and without fault".

Once you sense criticism you and others begin your wails of "poor me" and "why are we getting picked on?"

I assume you are an adult so I wonder why even the slightest criticism hurts you so?

And by the way, it is usually forgiven if someone's English is not very good if they are from another country. It is not forgiven if the speaker was born and raised in America.[/quote]
TOS? You're supposed to discuss the topic and/or the post..NOT the poster.

Why are you so deathly afraid of black people? Why are you so sensitive and hurt so badly by incorrect English?? Mature adults aren't...Why do you sink into depression at the thought of a wrong word???

Old 06-12-2011, 09:36 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
It's pretty reliable. There's never any shortage of people around here who are happy to play the race card in every possible thread.

Perhaps you didn't see, or should I say, chose to ignore, that several times I pointed out that many white people mispronounce the word wash as "warsh" and that is equally incorrect?
Wow, the "race card" really?

Sorry, but the truth of the matter is that there is a fixation on Ebonics. What about the epidemic of bro-speak. (I'm guilty of it when around friends, but I've heard it in meetings and in the classroom). For example "Dude, bro, like this one guy was all like about to..." Yet, we chalk it up to youthful indiscretion.

Should we teach proper business English. Yes.

However, I think that seeing how there is never any discussion of any other groups (White middle class fraternity boys can have pretty poor English as well), you can easily make the case that Blacks are being singled out.

If you truly want to have a serious discussion on how to teacher proper speaking skills, one needs to talk about all demographics...not just Blacks.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:58 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why do so many people fixate on the sociocultural dialect differences for African Americans yet ignore them with other groups?

Some African Americans have a distinction in speech pattern in which there is a phonological inversion (ie ask becomes aks) and /th/ is replaced with /f/ (ie bathtub becomes baftub) In the Hispanic community, some will pronounce words ending -ing with a -jing (ie lying becomes lyjing) or there is the addition of /e/ in front of /s/ words for native Spanish speakers (ie school becomes eschool) With many Asian communities there is a tendency to replace /r/ with /l/ (ie rise becomes lize) and there can also be a tendency to delete the final consonant in words (ie step becomes ste or lid becomes li)

There are numerous articulatory and phonological "disorders" or difference that exist for each ethnic group (not to mention the ones that exist for Whites based upon regional dialects) yet somehow Blacks are the only ones with the "problem"

Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Pronouncing "ask" as "axe" was a characteristic of an old form of cockney dialect (according to Peter Ackroyd's "London: The Biography") and African-Americans in the slavery era would have picked that up from whites who spoke that dialect. That pronunciation would disappear in England in about 1800 but managed to survive in the US.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:36 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post

Sorry, but the truth of the matter is that there is a fixation on Ebonics. What about the epidemic of bro-speak. (I'm guilty of it when around friends, but I've heard it in meetings and in the classroom). For example "Dude, bro, like this one guy was all like about to..." Yet, we chalk it up to youthful indiscretion.

However, I think that seeing how there is never any discussion of any other groups (White middle class fraternity boys can have pretty poor English as well), you can easily make the case that Blacks are being singled out.

If you truly want to have a serious discussion on how to teacher proper speaking skills, one needs to talk about all demographics...not just Blacks.
Spot on

The whole point of this thread, as it is with the numerous anti-Black threads that are generated daily, is for non-Blacks (specifically some Whites) to assert their self-appointed "superiority" over Black Americans. Any and all challenges to their irrational, idiotic and/or patronizing comments are met with denials, ridiculous anecdotal references and flat out accusations of "trying to keep other Blacks down".

The same C-D posters continue to post their daily "Why do Black people...?" threads followed by the usual chorus of non-Black posters who answer with inaccurate and derogatory glee. And then these same folks have the audacity to take issue with Black people (and others) with accurate knowledge setting the record straight.

The fact that Black people are allowed...no, encouraged to be attacked on a daily basis on this forum acts as proof that the forum is nothing more than Stormfront "Lite".

Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

And by the way, it is usually forgiven if someone's English is not very good if they are from another country. It is not forgiven if the speaker was born and raised in America.
TOS? You're supposed to discuss the topic and/or the post..NOT the poster.

Why are you so deathly afraid of black people? Why are you so sensitive and hurt so badly by incorrect English?? Mature adults aren't...Why do you sink into depression at the thought of a wrong word???
Oh, I get it.

Your just a troll.

Moving on...

Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post

What is stopping you from starting a thread about "bro-speak"?

What is stopping you from starting a thread about the poor English of white middle-class fraternity boys?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Spot on

The whole point of this thread, as it is with the numerous anti-Black threads that are generated daily, is for non-Blacks (specifically some Whites) to assert their self-appointed "superiority" over Black Americans. Any and all challenges to their irrational, idiotic and/or patronizing comments are met with denials, ridiculous anecdotal references and flat out accusations of "trying to keep other Blacks down".

The same C-D posters continue to post their daily "Why do Black people...?" threads followed by the usual chorus of non-Black posters who answer with inaccurate and derogatory glee. And then these same folks have the audacity to take issue with Black people (and others) with accurate knowledge setting the record straight.

The fact that Black people are allowed...no, encouraged to be attacked on a daily basis on this forum acts as proof that the forum is nothing more than Stormfront "Lite".
Criticism = "attack"

Yeah, right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies