Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
How is it harder for them to vote? Explain this.
Because the GOP wants to require IDs. And according to the liberals, black people are too stupid and/or poor to get IDs. Something along those lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:18 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Gladly. When you stop trying to corrupt the voting process by pushing for policies that let illegals vote.
Didn't realize that a significant portion of middle class Blacks were illegal?

The thread is about middle class Blacks right?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:19 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,770 times
And thats another thing I dont understand: The white majority has elected no less than 43 white presidents. Yet no one rattles on about how they voted for those white presidents solely because they were white. lol On the other hand, I guess when there are no other options available in the nominee pool to begin with, that would be kind of a given anyway though.

I think it boils down to many non blacks just not believing that blacks can make their own decisions based on their own interests. They tend to think that "oh, I dont approve of anyone voting for that feller there because he aint my type of feller..so the only reason those blacks would vote him is just because he's black." -- Thats why I say that the downfall of republicans will be that they oversimplify the reasons behind the voting patterns: it never even crosses their minds that people simply might have a different outlook on politics, or that people make an informed decision based on their own set of priorities and issues just as people did when electing the past 43 presidents..

Old 07-10-2011, 11:19 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
How is it harder for them to vote? Explain this.
Reducing polling places. Reducing polling times. Making the process to become registered to vote more time consuming. Requiring photo ID that many poor and destitute don't have.

It's all a numbers game. It will make it more difficult to vote for GOP supporters as well, but not to the extent it will effect blacks....and that's the point.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:22 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Blacks have fared the worst under the Obama admin by far - he's set them back DECADES - but how much do you want to bet they'll almost all still vote for him in 2012 anyway?
Wouldn't have anything to do with the great recession, of course.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:23 PM

791 posts, read 1,426,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
And thats another thing I dont understand: The white majority has elected no less than 43 white presidents. Yet no one rattles on about how they voted for those white presidents solely because they were white. lol On the other hand, I guess when there are no other options available in the nominee pool to begin with, that would be kind of a given anyway though.

I think it boils down to many non blacks just not believing that blacks can make their own decisions based on their own interests. They tend to think that "oh, I dont approve of anyone voting for that feller there because he aint my type of feller..so the only reason those blacks would vote him is just because he's black." -- it never even crosses their minds that people simply might have a different outlook on politics, or that people make an informed decision based on their own set of priorities and issues just as people did when electing the past 43 presidents..
you said it right there...their own set of priorities

Old 07-10-2011, 11:25 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthere View Post
you said it right there...their own set of priorities
exactly. Everyone has their own set of priorities. That shouldnt really be a revelation to anyone, but sadly it will be to some.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:25 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
The most important part of the situation is...

"More black people than ever before could fall out of the middle class because the unemployment rate for college-educated blacks recently peaked and blacks are overrepresented in state and local government jobs. Those are jobs that are being eliminated because of massive budget shortfalls."

Before the recession, the unemployment rate for college-educated blacks was 2.7%, for white it was 1.8%. After the recession the numbers are now 3.9% vs 7%. I would be willing to bet the large difference gap that has opened up has more to do with the numbers of those now unemployed blacks who were formerly employed by the government. Especially since, governments are still shedding jobs, while the private sector continues to add jobs(causing the gap to expand even more).

The question then is, why are blacks so overrepresented in government?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:28 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Didn't realize that a significant portion of middle class Blacks were illegal?

The thread is about middle class Blacks right?
The point of my post just went right over your head. Try again.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:32 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Are you joking? You think the GOP is a better alternative?

They are cutting middle class blacks social security, medicare, voting rights as we speak.
We have to cut EVERYONE'S Social Security and Medicare; they're unsustainable. And what the heck are you talking about, cutting middle class blacks' voting rights? How would they be cut, exactly?

Quote:
They are defunding their public schools, making it harder for them to vote, taking their retirement away.
Do you really think the public schools are doing a good job of educating black children? Just look at the recent debalce in Atlanta.

It's proven that black students achieve more in private schools. CLOSE the public schools. They're not working.
Quote:
Averaged across subjects, the public school racial achievement gap is virtually unchanged between fourth and 12th grades. By contrast, the gap in private schools is an average of 27.5 percentage points smaller at the 12th grade than at the fourth.
How Ideology Perpetuates the Achievement Gap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies