Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:35 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Thinking, thinking....and technically, by those numbers, he shouldnt have even won at all if 12% of the population was the only portion of the population with poor judgment.
Think about it... a close vote, and a demographic that's 12% of the population voted 95% for Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The most important part of the situation is...

"More black people than ever before could fall out of the middle class because the unemployment rate for college-educated blacks recently peaked and blacks are overrepresented in state and local government jobs. Those are jobs that are being eliminated because of massive budget shortfalls."

Before the recession, the unemployment rate for college-educated blacks was 2.7%, for white it was 1.8%. After the recession the numbers are now 3.9% vs 7%. I would be willing to bet the large difference gap that has opened up has more to do with the numbers of those now unemployed blacks who were formerly employed by the government. Especially since, governments are still shedding jobs, while the private sector continues to add jobs(causing the gap to expand even more).

The question then is, why are blacks so overrepresented in government?

Maybe you should understand a little black history about how in the 1950's and 60's the Federal Government was about the only place that would give them a fair shake in employment and hiring practices? What you think they were just hired by corporations in their sales department's back then.??...LOL

Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Wouldn't have anything to do with the great recession, of course.
Nice try, but why have middle class blacks been set back much more severely? Isn't the recession hitting the entire middle class?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Maybe you should understand a little black history about how in the 1950's and 60's the Federal Government was about the only place that would give them a fair shake in employment and hiring practices?
Um... that was 60 years ago. Those people are long retired.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:52 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Um... that was 60 years ago. Those people are long retired.
God you're obtuse. Do you not understand that people can develop lasting ties to certain careers because they offer them an opportunity for advancement? Ever seen a hispanic landscaper? How many whites are going into the landscaping business? What about Asian dry cleaners? Middle Eastern owned quick-stop stores?

How may whites are still operating dry cleaners? .....LOL

Blacks long ago set up roots around DC for a better life and it's not surprising at all they work in the Federal government in high numbers.

Last edited by padcrasher; 07-11-2011 at 12:05 AM..

Old 07-11-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
God your obtuse. Do you not understand that people can develop lasting ties to certain careers because they offer them an opportunity for advancement?
More like those "careers" offer prime pay plus exorbitant benefits while requiring little to no accountability from the employee.

Regardless, exactly when do you think it would be time for blacks to move on from their dependency on government? Seems that's not such a great plan when the money runs out, like is happening now.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:35 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
God you're obtuse. Do you not understand that people can develop lasting ties to certain careers because they offer them an opportunity for advancement? Ever seen a hispanic landscaper? How many whites are going into the landscaping business? What about Asian dry cleaners? Middle Eastern owned quick-stop stores?

How may whites are still operating dry cleaners? .....LOL

Blacks long ago set up roots around DC for a better life and it's not surprising at all they work in the Federal government in high numbers.

Well i will tell you how it is on my block, in a very upscale gated community, in OC. a couple landscapers are hispanic, 3 are white, believe it or not, and 2 are black landscapers, and i see one asian. They all are very good, Ours is hispanic and very good. We give him more beause he deserves more, he is very good at what he does. I cannot say that one does better then the next, because they each are teriffic at what they do, these guys do some amazing stuff, such as making the plants look like they belong in Disneyland, don't know how they do that.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:49 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,898,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
As a woman of color I won't be voting for him again in 2012.
My wife is the same way, We both voted for him in 2008 but likely not again in 2012. It's funny, I'm not exactly a Dem or Rep but lean more conservative but after the past few years my wife's learned hard right and likely won't vote for him again (I'm white, she's black)

However, It honestly depends on who the GOP gives the nomination to and if they're worth a damn. The worst thing we could do at this point is get rid of Obama in anger for someone that might be way worse just because.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,898,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Because the GOP wants to require IDs. And according to the liberals, black people are too stupid and/or poor to get IDs. Something along those lines.
I think that's more geared towards hispanic voters. Here in Texas we have alot of illegals being allowed to vote.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:16 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I think that's more geared towards hispanic voters. Here in Texas we have alot of illegals being allowed to vote.
I know that. But some people try to use the logic I just used to twist that into an effort to stop all minorities from voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies