Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does this Ad help the Same Sex Marriage Cause?
Yes, its a great Ad and would sway me in the direction of support for Same Sex Marriage. 26 29.89%
No. It's offensive and pushes me away from support for same sex marriage. 61 70.11%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:20 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
What in the post you quoted are you disputing to be true? Is it the book, "Que*ring Elementary Education," with a foreward written by Kevin Jennings, the Obama appointed Safe Schools Czar who initiated the Anti-Bullying Program for our public schools? Is it the book, "Boy Meets Boy," which includes not only same sex relationships but a lot of Christianity Bashing that is found in our Public School Libraries for kids as young as 10 to read? Is it that the Archie comic books featured a character announcing he was gay last year? Or, do you dispute the fact that the very popular TV show, marketed to kids, GLEE has several gay characters who sometimes kiss and make out? Or do you deny that Lady Ga Ga who is extremely popular with little kids as young as 7, has a hit song called "Born This Way" and flaunts being bisexual and pretty much promotes Gays in every appearance? Of what exactly are you convinced I am delusional?
So featuring gay people in books & movies/TV, which you are free to NOT read or watch, is bad why? You aren't delusional, just extremely paranoid and homophobic. And there's not a chance in hades you EVER supported gay marriage... which is totally your right, but don't insult us by making such a silly claim.

Most of you know I'm a public librarian, and I also happen to be in charge of ordering teen books - and I order WAAAAYYY more books featuring straight folks than gay folks. So don't worry, you're (we're) still winning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 04:57 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Like it or not we live in a heterosexual world and it is rather unfortunate that this arrangement fails to accommodate the homosexual outsider to the degree that he feels society owes him.
I would really appreciate if you stopped referring to all gay people as "the homosexual." Gay people come in all shades, just like straight people. There's no one universal straight personality, and likewise, there's no one universal gay personality.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:59 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,938,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Homosexuals already have the same rights as everyone else. The homosexual unrealistically demands extra rights, privileges and additional considerations beyond this solely because of sexual preferences which happen to fall outside the parameters of, and conflict with, the heterosexual norm.
The right to marry, for instance, is NOT an "extra" right. You are struggling to make your points, Zomb.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
What extra rights, privileges and additional considerations?
I know that laws banning discrimination based on sexual orientation apply to heterosexuals as well as homosexuals. But let's not pretend those laws were pushed and adopted to protect straights from discrimination. Or hate crime laws.

Though I happen to support gay marriage, repeal of DOMA, and other parts of the gay agenda, I readily admit that Some laws are geared to 'extra consideration' for the gay population.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I know that laws banning discrimination based on sexual orientation apply to heterosexuals as well as homosexuals. But let's not pretend those laws were pushed and adopted to protect straights from discrimination. Or hate crime laws.

Though I happen to support gay marriage, repeal of DOMA, and other parts of the gay agenda, I readily admit that Some laws are geared to 'extra consideration' for the gay population.
Like WHAT?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Like WHAT?
Anti-employment discrimination. Anti-public accommodations and housing discrimination. Hate crime laws.

As I said, those laws also apply to heterosexuals, but they are promoted and adopted as 'extra consideration' for gays. To deny that sexual orientation laws are to create the protected class of gay sexual orientation is ridiculous.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:09 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Quote:
Anti-employment discrimination.
Which is available to other minorities. You do have a minor point in that homosexuals aren't considered a protected class under the 14th...yet.

Quote:
Anti-public accommodations and housing discrimination. Hate crime laws.
The problem here is that a gay couple, just like a straight couple, can allege Fair Housing violations discrimination based on sex and don't need to do it on the basis of sexuality.

Hate crime laws used to be called aggravating factors and I think they should go back to being called that, but for our purposes here, are not the gays simply asking for the same things as other minorities?

So what's "extra"?

Quote:
As I said, those laws also apply to heterosexuals, but they are promoted and adopted as 'extra consideration' for gays. To deny that sexual orientation laws are to create the protected class of gay sexual orientation is ridiculous.
Perhaps, but why should they NOT be protected? What is the policy reasoning behind NOT giving them the same protection as other minorities?

Because you think they are "icky?"

Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Which is available to other minorities. You do have a minor point in that homosexuals aren't considered a protected class under the 14th...yet.

The problem here is that a gay couple, just like a straight couple, can allege Fair Housing violations discrimination based on sex and don't need to do it on the basis of sexuality.

Hate crime laws used to be called aggravating factors and I think they should go back to being called that, but for our purposes here, are not the gays simply asking for the same things as other minorities?

So what's "extra"?

Perhaps, but why should they NOT be protected? What is the policy reasoning behind NOT giving them the same protection as other minorities?

Because you think they are "icky?"
What makes you think I'm against those laws or think anything is 'icky' ?

Someone asked a question, I gave what I think is a fair response, and you jump to the assumption I'm against the protections.

Some minorities receive 'extra consideration,' others don't. Some states' hate crime law cover sexual orientation and/or disability and/or gender identity, others don't. A few cover homelessness. Clearly, gays are among the minorities who in various ways receive 'extra consideration' under Some laws.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:40 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,938,473 times
Quote:
Some minorities receive 'extra consideration,' others don't. Some states' hate crime law cover sexual orientation and/or disability and/or gender identity, others don't. A few cover homelessness. Clearly, gays are among the minorities who in various ways receive 'extra consideration' under Some laws.
"Clearly" -"in various ways" -"extra consideration"- "some laws". Do you realize how vacuous and vague an explanation this is? It just shows you have no data or facts to lean on, but an emotional viewpoint nonetheless.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
It is important to really understand what is being talked about when referring to homosexuality and I don't think all of those that accept homosexuality realize what it is. It was considered a mental health condition for several years. The reason most noted for suicide is the breakup of a relationship not the fact that they cannot marry or that people "hate" them. The word "hate" is used to try to make those that find the lifestyle a celebration of sin, against the laws of God, against the laws of nature, etc.feel guilty. Separate drinking fountains? Maybe. When you look at the statistics for STDs, .......................What, homosexuals and the whatever are about 1 to 2% of the population so, with a relationship breakup............Also, have you heard the phrase "Sex before 8 or it is too late?" There is another Man-Boy some warped thing. That is probably a "recruitment" device. I remember in the 60's and 70's I heard that homosexuals only try to approach others who are really homo too. This is not true. Not even close. In the military, a heterosexual female was raped in the dayroom (think living room of the barracks) by a group of lesbians because they wanted to show her "how much fun it was". Start asking around and having serious conversations about this and you'll find it is not as rare as you think - the "approach". A male homosexual at the day center where my son attended was caught MB in front of a male client. I have heard more than one person say that they were approached by homosexuals but what to expect of such a small and desperate segment of the population. People, this is a mental health issue. Homosexuality and Mental Health Problems I know so many people who have turned off the cable/satellite because of the harmful messages being relayed. Do the research as the facts are out there. The most harm was done when they stopped considering it a mental health problem and started "celebrating" it because they are not getting the counseling that they need to deal with the many, many differences of the lifestyle that they have chosen and this is why they are committing suicide not because they can't marry or that some think the many disturbing possibilities and realities are "icky". Don't be deceived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies