Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,914,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
In my discussions with you I've never had any reason to believe that you particularly cared what God thought. I'm sorry if I've somehow misjudged you.
You mistake what YOU believe with what that other guy believes. You're view may be the right one or the wrong one.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Interesting that those still demanding studies have completely ignored these posted earlier:

How do you think gay people were able to "choose" the way their brains developed in utero?

Sexual orientation and its basis in brain structure and function.

Current evidence indicates that sexual differentiation of the human brain occurs during fetal and neonatal development and programs our gender identity—our feeling of being male or female and our sexual orientation as hetero-, homo-, or bisexual. This sexual differentiation process is accompanied by many structural and functional brain differences among these groups.
http://www.pnas.org/content/105/30/10273.full.pdf

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

Gay brains structured like those of the opposite sex

Brain scans have provided the most compelling evidence yet that being gay or straight is a biologically fixed trait. The scans reveal that in gay people, key structures of the brain governing emotion, mood, anxiety and aggressiveness resemble those in straight people of the opposite sex.
The differences are likely to have been forged in the womb or in early infancy, says Ivanka Savic, who conducted the study at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden.

"This is the most robust measure so far of cerebral differences between homosexual and heterosexual subjects," she says.

Previous studies have also shown differences in brain architecture and activity between gay and straight people, but most relied on people's responses to sexuality driven cues that could have been learned, such as rating the attractiveness of male or female faces.

Brain symmetry

To get round this, Savic and her colleague, Per Lindström, chose to measure brain parameters likely to have been fixed at birth.
"That was the whole point of the study, to show parameters that differ, but which couldn't be altered by learning or cognitive processes," says Savic.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14146-gay-brains-structured-like-those-of-the-opposite-sex.html

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

PET and MRI show differences in cerebral asymmetry and functional connectivity between homo- and heterosexual subjects

The present study shows sex-atypical cerebral asymmetry and functional connections in homosexual subjects. The results cannot be primarily ascribed to learned effects, and they suggest a linkage to neurobiological entities.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2008/06/13/0801566105.full.pdf+html

__________________________________________________ _____________

Sexual differentiation of the brain and behavior.

During the intrauterine period the human brain develops in the male direction via direct action of a boy's testosterone, and in the female direction through the absence of this hormone in a girl. During this time, gender identity (the feeling of being a man or a woman), sexual orientation, and other behaviors are programmed.

As sexual differentiation of the genitals takes places in the first 2 months of pregnancy, and sexual differentiation of the brain starts during the second half of pregnancy, these two processes may be influenced independently of each other, resulting in transsexuality. This also means that in the case of an ambiguous gender at birth, the degree of masculinization of the genitals may not reflect the same degree of masculinization of the brain.

Differences in brain structures and brain functions have been found that are related to sexual orientation and gender.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17875490
Even after all of that, do you mean to suggest that we are animals and can't control who we are intimate with? It's the behavior that is immoral--not the desires.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Even after all of that, do you mean to suggest that we are animals and can't control who we are intimate with? It's the behavior that is immoral--not the desires.
Who said anything about "controlling who we are intimate with"?
This thread is about some people calling homosexuality a "lifestyle choice" when it's obvious that sexual orientation is somethimg that is innate and is not a choice.

What's immoral about an adult choosing to be with another adult they fall in love with?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
What's immoral about 2 adults falling in love and having a relationship?
Can you say it isn't?

Honestly though...morality aside, the original point of this thread is to question if it's a "trait" or a "choice". It's clearly a choice that people choose to engage in or not.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
In my discussions with you I've never had any reason to believe that you particularly cared what God thought. I'm sorry if I've somehow misjudged you.
God don't think, and neither do most of His war-shipers.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
God don't think, and neither do most of His war-shipers.
Go start a thread and prove it. Otherwise just be gone and stop trolling.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,584 times
Quote:
Can you say it isn't?

Honestly though...morality aside, the original point of this thread is to question if it's a "trait" or a "choice". It's clearly a choice that people choose to engage in or not.
there is no 'it' to engage in. a sexual orientation isn't a behavior. yet for some reason only our sexual orientation is discussed in this way by people who don't have it. I rarely ever see people who are homosexual, saying, 'it is clearly a choice that people engage in it or not when talking about heterosexuality.'
Obviously you're one of those people who think homosexuals are hypersexual, when we're no more sexual than you are.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
It's the behavior that is immoral--not the desires.
Why is it immoral? Why is it immoral for me to have sex with the man I love?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
there is no 'it' to engage in. a sexual orientation isn't a behavior. yet for some reason only our sexual orientation is discussed in this way by people who don't have it. I rarely ever see people who are homosexual, saying, 'it is clearly a choice that people engage in it or not when talking about heterosexuality.'
Obviously you're one of those people who think homosexuals are hypersexual, when we're no more sexual than you are.
If you're telling me that you can't control yourself and you're just some animal that hops on the nearest gay person you can find....then yes...it's not a choice and you're hypersexual.

On the other hand, if you're like anyone else, and you can choose whom you're intimate with and who you're not...then it's a choice--just like the choices any hetero man goes through.

I honestly don't care who you're attracted to or what you do behind closed doors.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Why is it immoral? Why is it immoral for me to have sex with the man I love?
As I pointed out above, this is a deviation from the OP's point. Go start a thread and we'll discuss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies