Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will doctors be forced to receive Medicare patients as a condition to getting licensed?
Yes 27 54.00%
No 18 36.00%
Pie 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:45 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I know...lived there for a short while,lived in a nation with gov run health system.

My point was,private practices in the UK are not forced to take patients,so why should they be forced here.

The GP earning £380,000 a year... and the out-of-hours doctors on £200 an hour | Mail Online
Maybe the difference could be that the Brits have been living with UHC for nearly 60 years and our people haven't had it yet. I can see, just as you do, that force would be needed here since we are just beginning the whole thing. You have to get people used to new practices and some force would have to be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I would say that you don't know that Medicare has always determined what doctors can collect and now cuts are being suggested by the law I call Obamacare. In fact, some of those cuts have already been instituted and that will make more doctors not like taking on new Medicare patients.

Also, you may not know that much of the reason insurance companies have been paying through the nose is the lack of what Medicare will pay. Do you know that doctors have to agree to accept what Medicare will pay before they collect one penny of it? This is part of what we are talking about getting worse.

You tell me about Medicare, the forerunner of socialized medicine. I have been on Medicare for nearly 14 years and know a bit more about how they pay than you do. The bad part is that it will get worse with Obamacare.
Why do you insist on holding on to a Health System that is Expensive, Inneficient and crumbling before your eyes?
Medicare is a band aid trying to heal a huge fracture. You will never have a decent health system here until it is realised that the present system is broken beyond repair.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Maybe the difference could be that the Brits have been living with UHC for nearly 60 years and our people haven't had it yet. I can see, just as you do, that force would be needed here since we are just beginning the whole thing. You have to get people used to new practices and some force would have to be used.
I agree with you.
Australia had the same problem. A NHS was suggested, the Doctors and Insurance companies went berserk with fear mongering and shouts of "it will never work" or " We can't afford it". It has now been adopted and nearly everyone loves it... not gone bankrupt yet. I have family in Oz and they say it's the best thing ever implemented by the Govt.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, good grief! Obamacare hasn't even kicked in yet, except for a few provisions which haven't changed the way medicine practiced.
I would say that you haven't seen any quarterly reports from the Kansas Medicare people that indicate that physicians and hospitals are getting less now than they were a year ago. I call that board in Topeka that controls what will be paid by Medicare, "my early day death panel" because they have cut what they will pay for services, already. I can't wait to see what will happen once Obamacare "kicks in" as you say.

Yes, kindly healthcare worker, they have cut the amounts for many services by about 10%, already. Surely the final "kick in" will lower things quite a bit since the new law calls for $50 billion per year in cuts to Medicare.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Why do you insist on holding on to a Health System that is Expensive, Inneficient and crumbling before your eyes?
Medicare is a band aid trying to heal a huge fracture. You will never have a decent health system here until it is realised that the present system is broken beyond repair.
The 6 bypass emergency surgery I received by a very good hospital from outstanding surgeons over 6 years ago convinced me that Medicare is a pretty good thing. Of course, for that kind of care Medicare pays the full bill.

I am very near esophageal cancer and need regular endocopies to keep track of when it comes but Medicare was only paying about half what the hospital and surgeon asked for before we got Obamacare. The last time it was nearer 40%. The surgeon has moved me from annual checks to every two years. I wonder why that would be.

BTW, the emergency by pass came three days after the heart attack. The EMT who rode in the ambulance with me said my blood pressure indicated that I had passed on for a little while on the way. Damn, am I glad you don't have to go on a waiting list here.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I agree with you.
Australia had the same problem. A NHS was suggested, the Doctors and Insurance companies went berserk with fear mongering and shouts of "it will never work" or " We can't afford it". It has now been adopted and nearly everyone loves it... not gone bankrupt yet. I have family in Oz and they say it's the best thing ever implemented by the Govt.
My self-employed, small business friend in Australia says it is nothing to be very proud of. His wife had to have some needed surgery about 2 years ago and he had to pay $9000 out of pocket or wait longer than she had to get the surgery. He does not like the thing although he grew up with it in practice.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
My self-employed, small business friend in Australia says it is nothing to be very proud of. His wife had to have some needed surgery about 2 years ago and he had to pay $9000 out of pocket or wait longer than she had to get the surgery. He does not like the thing although he grew up with it in practice.
She only paid because she didn't want to wait.... At least she had the choice.... better to wait then get absolutely NO surgery like millions here.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 AM

I was talking to a Govt. Employee here in Florida who told me that she had a well womans "check up" with her job. She also said that if she was diagnosed with Cancer, her work health benefits did NOT cover her for cancer treatment... so what was the point of health checks if once cancer is discovered they do NOTHING.... she was disgusted by this and quite rightly so.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I don't know whether they will or not, but I hope so with regard to Medicare and Medicaid.

A doctor has a license to practice medicine because it is in the public interest. That license gives the doctor the opportunity to make mind-boggling incomes. I see no reason why, as a condition of having an exclusive license to make the money a doctor makes in the united States a doctor shouldn't be expected to accept patients whose health coverage is from Medicare or Medicaid.
You'll see doctors leave the profession or move to other countries.

Doctors and hospitals lose money on Medicare patients. They also are required to treat all emergency patients, regardless of if they pay or not.

Doctors also have $200k+ in debt for 8 years of school and at least 5 years of residency/fellowship and do not start practicing until they hit their early 30's at the earliest. Doctors also have to deal with the malpractice issue.

Being a doctor isn't what it used to be in regards to the financial rewards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

ANY doctor who accepted gov't loans to go to school should have to accept a certain percentage of Medicare patients into their practice. They would never have become a doctor without these loans, so there should be some payback. Many of these loans are forgiven if the Doctor practices in a "needed area" such as a rural environment.

I do hope the doctors I see didn't go through all the training JUST to make the bucks, that they became doctors to heal the sick with care and empathy and not look at me with dollar signs in their eyes.
Accepted government loans should be required to accept? They have to pay these loans back with interest. It's not as if the government is giving them grant money.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
You'll see doctors leave the profession or move to other countries.

Doctors and hospitals lose money on Medicare patients. They also are required to treat all emergency patients, regardless of if they pay or not.

Doctors also have $200k+ in debt for 8 years of school and at least 5 years of residency/fellowship and do not start practicing until they hit their early 30's at the earliest. Doctors also have to deal with the malpractice issue.

Being a doctor isn't what it used to be in regards to the financial rewards.

The money train
What other countries? India? Most other countries in the developed world have an NHS.

Family practice and pediatric residencies are three years. Most others are 4-6 years. The debt is large, but it is doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies