Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will doctors be forced to receive Medicare patients as a condition to getting licensed?
Yes 27 54.00%
No 18 36.00%
Pie 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
She only paid because she didn't want to wait.... At least she had the choice.... better to wait then get absolutely NO surgery like millions here.
I believe she didn't want to wait because she would have died in the interim...or that is how it read to me...

Quote:
His wife had to have some needed surgery about 2 years ago and he had to pay $9000 out of pocket or wait longer than she had to get the surgery
Could be wrong.
My sister and her family have private insurance so they do not have to wait...on top of paying for the gov. healthcare.

funny thing is,lots of nations have private health insurance on top of the public funded national system to offset the costs...like France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 11:32 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
You'll see doctors leave the profession or move to other countries.
So they would rather work for a NHS in another Country than work here and believe me... other Countries are not queing up for overseas Doctors.

Doctors and hospitals lose money on Medicare patients. They also are required to treat all emergency patients, regardless of if they pay or not.
Govt funded NHS treat ALL patients whether they pay or not without feeling that they are doing them a "favour"

Doctors also have $200k+ in debt for 8 years of school and at least 5 years of residency/fellowship and do not start practicing until they hit their early 30's at the earliest. Doctors also have to deal with the malpractice issue.
Doctors who train in any Country have debt yet they seem to be able to manage it better somehow without using it as a excuse for mega pay checks....wierd huh?

Being a doctor isn't what it used to be in regards to the financial rewards.
Too true...mega bucks now.

Accepted government loans should be required to accept? They have to pay these loans back with interest. It's not as if the government is giving them grant money.
Not sure why Doctors here feel so hard done by treating people who have contributed most of their lives?????

Old 08-01-2011, 11:35 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I don't know whether they will or not, but I hope so with regard to Medicare and Medicaid.

A doctor has a license to practice medicine because it is in the public interest. That license gives the doctor the opportunity to make mind-boggling incomes. I see no reason why, as a condition of having an exclusive license to make the money a doctor makes in the united States a doctor shouldn't be expected to accept patients whose health coverage is from Medicare or Medicaid.
So, they are just handing out MD licenses, are they? I want to get on that line.
The Government is not your father, your boss or Santa Claus. They don't own you and they can't tell you what to do.
A person is a doctor because they want to be, for whatever reason. They do all the work to get there and they don't owe
anybody anything except the hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans they may have had to borrow. They are not slaves
of the state or society. They are free men and women in pursuit of their own happiness, not your servants who have to do
your bidding and abide by what you or society think best. Their life belongs to them. And that goes for every private American citizen.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I believe she didn't want to wait because she would have died in the interim...or that is how it read to me...
Not sure she would have died.... like the UK ... if a patient is urgent they will be admitted immediately.

Could be wrong.
My sister and her family have private insurance so they do not have to wait...on top of paying for the gov. health care.
Because Insurance companies have to compete with a NHS they cannot ask whatever they want in Premiums so anyone who wants private insurance so they don't wait for treatment etc can afford both and it probably costs less for both than a mediocre policy here... best of both worlds.. more choices..for less.

funny thing is,lots of nations have private health insurance on top of the public funded national system to offset the costs...like France.
Not sure how France's system works, i do know that because it is in the European Community, all anyone from the UK has to do when visiting any EU country is fill in a form and we get free health care when in those Countries.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:42 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,984 times
Quote:
She only paid because she didn't want to wait.... At least she had the choice.... better to wait then get absolutely NO surgery like millions here.
This is false. No one is denied emergency health care treatment.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:44 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
It's time to allow the unionization of physicians. All you liberals are always talking about how great unions serve the people, so let's let the doctors form REAL unions and set their own fees for a change. Presently, the government and the insurance companies force their fees upon them.
Doctors have the ability to form unions. What you seem to be talking about is to allow businesses to join together to fix prices.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:46 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
It would be 'assumed' that doctors as a demographic aren't "on average" stupid people.

No they aren't going to leave the U.S. for greener pastures; there ain't any with a sizable population.

Why would they leave; they are currently allowed to bill according to what the market will bear.

Membership in a government overseen system won't negatively impact them as EVERY government run system is rife with greed and abuse so they ain't gonna run either way.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
This is false. No one is denied emergency health care treatment.
They are NOT denied EMERGENCY treatment but treatment for illness is denied unless you have insurance or cash or are lucky to get a Doctor who feels charitable....... Fact!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
From this article,it appears all is not as rosy in the UK as you believe...
Quote:
The examples emerged after The Daily Telegraph disclosed how health service funding bodies are artificially increasing waiting times as they wait for patients to die or go private.

The row prompted Andrew Lansley, the Health Secretary, to accuse the Primary Care Trusts that currently pay for treatment of “cynically” trying to “game” the system, and promise that under his reforms patients’ needs will be the priority.
Patients struggle even to get on NHS waiting lists - Telegraph

In my sisters case,it is obviously more expensive to pay for two health care plans...her private insurance to ensure less or no waiting and the forced gov. plan.I do not know how much it costs,could find out I guess.

Quote:
Not sure how France's system works, i do know that because it is in the European Community, all anyone from the UK has to do when visiting any EU country is fill in a form and we get free health care when in those Countries.
Free to you....

Old 08-01-2011, 11:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
I like pie!!! Yummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies