Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will doctors be forced to receive Medicare patients as a condition to getting licensed?
Yes 27 54.00%
No 18 36.00%
Pie 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:56 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times

Advertisements

Doctors are not stupid people (in general) The smart young people will simply study a different field that isn't punished by the government. Of course our evil government will TRY and force them to accept their charity cases because the government thinks that it owns us. But like I said, people who are smart will simply go into a more profitable field. Who wants to work at something when they know that they won't be properly compensated? What we will wind up with is more bankers and lawyers as a result. And of course we will get people who are not smart enough to avoid the practice as our "new" doctors. No one with half a brain will volunteer to be slaves to the goDvernment.

Personally, if doctors took up arms and killed the idiots who think that they can arbitrarily make them slaves, I would applaud them. Idiot tyrants are rampant in the human gene pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 11:57 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
It seems like the poll is actually showing what people want to happen instead of what people think will happen.

I personally don't see it happening anytime soon. There is a physician shortage right now and, since nothing is being done to increase the number of medical schools or residency spots in the US, it is only going to get worse - especially with regard to primary care. Until this changes I don't see enough leverage to force it through. It's not like you can just say to physicians, "Do this or you're fired" when you don't have enough physicians available to replace them. Remember, the pipeline to producing an MD/DO is generally a minimum of 11 years (4 undergrad, 4 med school, 3+ residency) although there are options to shave a couple of years off - that's still 9 years.

If larger numbers of FMGs are allowed in to expand access to PCPs that might increase the chances - but I think #1 that would be a hard sell, #2 as pointed out in an earlier post they still typically need to complete their residencies in the US, and #3 you'd have to rig it so the immigrants in fact go into primary care rather than specialties. Expanding scope of practice for PAs, NPs, ODs, RNs, etc to cover some of the shortages could play a role as well - but that is a whole different can of worms. I agree with the general tone of this thread that the current system is SNAFU.

Last edited by tyanger; 08-01-2011 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: grammar, punctuation

Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Did I mention that:

I LIKE PIE!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
From this article,it appears all is not as rosy in the UK as you believe...

Patients struggle even to get on NHS waiting lists - Telegraph
The Telegraph is NOT a paper to get news about the NHS.... Many Brits often wonder where they get their Health news from as it doesn't match their own experiences... bit like Fox news here when they report on the NHS.... absolute rubbish.

In my sisters case,it is obviously more expensive to pay for two health care plans...her private insurance to ensure less or no waiting and the forced gov. plan.I do not know how much it costs,could find out I guess.
I can only give you my own personal experience as to cost....
My wife insisted on getting private health care when she came to the UK... It cost her approx $80p.m. for platinum cover with NO co pays and other benefits. I was self employed so paid.....

If you're self-employed you pay Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance contributions. The rates are:
  • Class 2 National Insurance contributions are paid at a flat rate of £2.50 a week
  • Class 4 National Insurance contributions are paid as a percentage of your annual taxable profits - 9 per cent on profits between £7,225 and £42,475, and a further 2 per cent on profits over that amount
If your profits are expected to be less than £5,315 you may not have to pay Class 2 National Insurance contributions

Free to you....
Also free to any EU citizen coming to the UK.
My wife's daughter came to the UK from the USA for a holiday. She arrived with a bad chest infection. Took her to my GP (Doctor) he examined her, gave her anti biotics..examined her again before she returned to the USA to make sure she was OK..... Cost us NOTHING.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
So, they are just handing out MD licenses, are they? I want to get on that line.
The Government is not your father, your boss or Santa Claus. They don't own you and they can't tell you what to do.
A person is a doctor because they want to be, for whatever reason. They do all the work to get there and they don't owe
anybody anything except the hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans they may have had to borrow. They are not slaves
of the state or society. They are free men and women in pursuit of their own happiness, not your servants who have to do
your bidding and abide by what you or society think best. Their life belongs to them. And that goes for every private American citizen.
It appears to me that you haven't seen what is going on around here. I know you mean that we live in a Constitutional republic, but I am saying that much of that Constitution is nearly dead and in the eyes of most progs it is already dead. Yes, we do have certain rights but I really do believe that once we get UHC those in medicine will have much fewer rights concerning their practices.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Doctors have the ability to form unions. What you seem to be talking about is to allow businesses to join together to fix prices.
Doctors have that ability and they also have rights, up to a point, to do so but when one of their union like groups does something the government doesn't like they are attacked by the government and the media, and you know that as well as i do.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It appears to me that you haven't seen what is going on around here. I know you mean that we live in a Constitutional republic, but I am saying that much of that Constitution is nearly dead and in the eyes of most progs it is already dead. Yes, we do have certain rights but I really do believe that once we get UHC those in medicine will have much fewer rights concerning their practices.
What rights would they lose??

Old 08-01-2011, 12:20 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
From someone on Medicare
Oh, we are not getting UHC, who told you that?
Casper

Old 08-01-2011, 12:35 PM

415 posts, read 615,816 times
The only way I'd be for making doctors take on medicare patients is if they, and all the people who work under them, had their student loan debts paid for for taking a patient whose services will not be paid for at an adequate level.

If you saw how little healthcare facilities take in by taking medicare patients, you wouldn't be fore forcing them on doctors. The level or reimbursement is appalling, and to be honest, it is partly why everyone else's insurance costs more--you are paying for the medicare patients that doctors do take on.

Healthcare costs money--making people work for peanuts is not the answer, and it will reduce the quality of the workers in hospitals. If you don't believe me, look at nursing homes. Do you want so few workers taking care of you when you are in the hospital? Do you want to share your doctor with hundreds if not thousands of people at the same time, your nurse with 50 other patients and your aide with 25 others? How about if you fractured your hip and had to wait hours for someone to help you with the bedpan? I think not.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
The only way I'd be for making doctors take on medicare patients is if they, and all the people who work under them, had their student loan debts paid for for taking a patient whose services will not be paid for at an adequate level.

If you saw how little healthcare facilities take in by taking medicare patients, you wouldn't be fore forcing them on doctors. The level or reimbursement is appalling, and to be honest, it is partly why everyone else's insurance costs more--you are paying for the medicare patients that doctors do take on.

Healthcare costs money--making people work for peanuts is not the answer, and it will reduce the quality of the workers in hospitals. If you don't believe me, look at nursing homes. Do you want so few workers taking care of you when you are in the hospital? Do you want to share your doctor with hundreds if not thousands of people at the same time, your nurse with 50 other patients and your aide with 25 others? How about if you fractured your hip and had to wait hours for someone to help you with the bedpan? I think not.
Another reason for a UHC here......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies