Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 09:32 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I have no problem with anybody's religion, s long as they keep it to themselves.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
I have no problem with atheism, but I'm sick of hearing about it.
Oh, you mean those pesky atheists have started going door-to-door trying to "convert" you, or now they're leaving "literature" on your windshield!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 09:37 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,122,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Exactly!

Oh, you mean those pesky atheists have started going door-to-door trying to "convert" you, or now they're leaving "literature" on your windshield!
That's one ministry technique I have yet to encounter.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:35 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
I am not in favour of govt. sponsored religion, either.

Religion should never be "kept private" but on the other hand it's wrong to have any oppressive theocracy. Will I stop hearing about atheism after it's taken over the world? Not likely.

Don't insult me like that, please. It's just rude.
Exactly how did I "insult" you? And, exactly how will atheism "take over the world?"

Old 09-03-2011, 08:27 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times
Quote:
That's one ministry technique I have yet to encounter.
That's gracious of you to admit. And it does bring up the one main quarrel I have with "believers", which is this whole notion of "ministry" (aka, "evangelizing").

If nothing else, it seems extremely "presumptuous" for anyone (especially total strangers), to be trying to "sell" me on their belief system! Or as bumper sticker wisdom says, "Don't talk to me about your religion, and I won't bother you about my hemorrhoids!"

Old 09-03-2011, 09:46 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one. It's fine to be proud of it. But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around. And please don't try and shove it down my children's throats

Old 09-04-2011, 06:28 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one. It's fine to be proud of it. But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around. And please don't try and shove it down my children's throats

Old 09-04-2011, 06:38 AM

817 posts, read 853,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't use the Bible for anything but occasional comic relief.
Not only is the Bible an extensive historic document it also promotes all the principals modern society is based on, even atheist. Even if you're not a Christian failing to read between the lines and see the big picture is certainly a disappointment.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:17 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
If SOME weren't ignorant of all history they'd know there were many societies who weren't christian who were law abiding and just as decent as any "christian" society.
Of course, you didn't name any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""and it fails to recognize the dependence of our liberty on the doctrine articulated in the Declaration of Independence that our unalienable rights are God given"""

Our rights? Well, "christian" Michelle Bachmann believes women don't have the same rights as men because god said so...."god" was wrong....and Bachmann should never hold public office with her RELIGIOUS belief that women are "less than" men....ALL Americans should have the same "Liberty"!
This is baloney and you know it. I would like to see where you are finding this in anything Michele Bachmann has said.

I'm sure Michele believes, as any American does, that our inalienable rights apply, as stated, to all (male or female). I'm willing to bet this comes from some left wing blog, or other leftist media article which regularly distort statements made by conservatives (especially conservative women who dare to seek public office).

Or, would you be referring to (I don't know what Michele may have said on this) the Christian belief that men are to be in authority over women (but this applies to family and matters of religion, not public service).

However, taking the other half of this ridiculous assertion, I'd like to know how you feel about Obama's religious beliefs? They are certainly now well known, his "black liberation theology" as taught and articulated by his long time pastor, the "Rev" Wright? Obama's religious beliefs don't seem to bother you in the slightest? I wonder why you have such a double standard?

It is Obama's belief in "black liberation theology" that drives his justice department to unequally favor blacks in matters before it (failure to prosecute the Panthers for interfering with and threatening voters at polling places), and redistributing the wealth of others (you've listened to Van Jones pontificate on this, right?) to minorities that he feels have been wrongly victimized by whites for all of our history (white oppression).

Finally, how dare you question Michele Bachmann's Christianity (you placed "[C]hristian" in quotes. You, who are obviously an unbeliever, have no right or standing to question her Christianity.

And, by-the-way, "Christian" is capitalized. Your disrespect did not go unnoticed. Would you capitalize "Muslim"? One wonders.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:35 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I've actually come to question whether it's possible to really follow Jesus' teachings faithfully while serving in public office. In politics you are almost compelled to lie, bend truth, destroy others be quarrelsome and be divisive all for power; Things the new testament clearly teaches against.

Just my two cents.
It is certainly interesting to note that though the Constitution clearly states that there shall be no "religious test" applied for public service, how quickly the "left" apply a religious test to any conservative candidate that is a professed "believer", and then they proceed to mount a smear campaign to impugn the candidate, especially on religious grounds.

The left has no tolerance for religion if it looks like real Christianity. They have no problem with the phony stuff (I'm reminded of Pelosi's phony baloney comments on the Senate floor about her "love" of the "word").

They also have no problem with real threats like Muslim extremism, and will not dare to suggest that Gabby Giffords attacker acted because of any religious belief.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:40 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,650,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
I don't hate religious politicians. I greatly admire Jimmy Carter for example!

Carter never implied that people were un-Christian if they voted against him. However, I heard the Reverend Falwell say in 1984 that a person was not a true Christian if they voted against Reagan. During the 90s, Clinton went to church as much or more than Reagan, but conservatives said "well, he's not a real Christian"....whatever that means.

BTW, I never understood how a divorced Hollywood actor who never went to church became the ultimate Christian to GOP conservatives....
Oh and BJ Clinton was so much better. I'm sure cheating on his wife with that tub of lard Monica Lewinsky was so Christian-like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies